Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

eBay feedback idea

For those afraid of "retaliatory neg" punishment, can we get our point across by leaving positive feedback "with an explanation?" The asterisk being:

a truthful, thorough description of the bad seller/buyer tactics in the write-up section.

Who says that a check mark in the "positive" radio button must be followed with a positive write-up? If the packaging was atrocious, mention that. If the item took three weeks to arrive from the date of your PayPal payment, state that. If the seller/buyer's communication was rude, curt or nonexistent, tell us. Heaven forbid, if the card was overgraded by two increments, let us know.

We have plenty of space on the feedback form to report unprofessional behavior. And just how stupid will a buyer/seller look, if your "positive with an explanation"is followed by a ret neg from them.

Make sense?

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Good thought; I've often thought of doing that myself, but I don't think that would prevent retaliatory negs.

As far as looking stupid, I don't think dumbass retaliators have a choice.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I don't disagree with this idea, and I've often thought of it when a seller charged $5 for shipping and spent 87 cents to mail a bubble envelope with no other protection.

But once you do it, the other person may still be ticked off (or embarrassed) enough to give you a neg anyway. After all, you've already left your positive and can't take it back, so what's to stop him?

It's an imperfect system, but it's better than nothing. It helps us on the most extreme cases .... the zero feedback guy selling a '52 Topps Mantle, the guy with lots of negatives from people saying he's a scammer, and so on. But no doubt there are many negs that are never given for fear of retaliation.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure this idea will work. When I buy on ebay, if the seller has a high feedback percentage, I don't even look at his feedback comments. I only actually read them if I'm curious about the reason for negatives.

I still think ebay needs to go to a "BGS" feedback system, with 4 main categories such as "quality of item", "shipping speed", "packaging / shipping charges", and "communication". Each category could be graded 1-10. Not sure what you could do for a buyer.

I am noticing more and more that sellers are not leaving feedback first, and it's starting to bother me more than it did before. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to stop leaving feedback first as the buyer, especially if the only contact I get from the seller is the "ebay auction won" email. Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like more and more transactions (even perfectly successful ones) are happening with no feedback left from either party.
  • Options
    It'd be nice to be able to sort through the feedback (say, you wanted to instantly check all the wax packs a seller has sold in the last month). Or to check shipping speed, or packaging/shipping charges.

The neg punishment problem would go away in 2 seconds if you could simply sort through the negatives and see why one was left. But Ebay can't make things that easy....
  • Options
    Check this site for negatives received or left by ebay users. It's helped me sort out the negs when an ebay user has a lot of feedback.

Link
  • Options
    Good thought; I've often thought of doing that myself, but I don't think that would prevent retaliatory negs.

Yes, I have tried it and most will still leave negative. I have done this to sellers who had already left me positive feedback.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not sure this idea will work. When I buy on ebay, if the seller has a high feedback percentage, I don't even look at his feedback comments. I only actually read them if I'm curious about the reason for negatives.q]

Exactly. Most people do not look at the comments. they look at the percentage and the rating number. People with slow internet connections don't have the time to look at a guy's negatives that have over a couple of thousand feebacks because you can only see 200 at a time. Ebay should change the entire feedback system and either go to a 1 to 10 rating you give the person or and A B C D F grade, and all the comments are averaged out.

If you feel the transaction was ok, but not great, you're supposed leave a neutral, but a neutral is seen as a negative by many people. If you have a 7 average in my format, then you might want to go overboard for your customers to get your average higher. 7 isn't bad, but 8 is better, and would get you better sales.

Also, bidder and seller feedback should not be mixed. You should have a seperate rating as a seller, and a seperate rating as a bidder. I hate when I look at a seller's auction and he has an 800 rating and I look at his feedbacks, but they are all as a buyer. All that tells me is that he paid for what he won. It doesn't tell me if he ships items terribly, or if he has a history of theft.