Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    PSA reject- trimmed.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    There is no way to tell from a scan, but the seller has submitted a ton of cards to psa. That should tell you all you need to know.
  • Options

<< <i>There is no way to tell from a scan, but the seller has submitted a ton of cards to psa. That should tell you all you need to know. >>

Precisely. This guy apparently knows that SGC/PSA bring in the big bucks, why would he get this single, extremely expensive card graded by CSA? Huge red flag.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>There is no way to tell from a scan, but the seller has submitted a ton of cards to psa. That should tell you all you need to know. >>

It totally does tell you the whole story. If he is a heavy submitter to PSA, he knows that he could multiply his sale price many times with that card in a PSA slab, even if it was 8 instead of 9. Thus ... of COURSE he submitted to PSA as a crossover, it was rejected as trimmed, so now he tries to recoup some of his money by selling as is.

For what it's worth, to my eye it looks trimmed. But it may just be my brain rebelling at the idea of a mint, unaltered Aaron rookie in this holder.
  • Options
    thanks guys. with the outrageous prices that 54 aaron's have been going these days, i almost considered bidding on this.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Thus ... of COURSE he submitted to PSA as a crossover, it was rejected as trimmed, so now he tries to recoup some of his money by selling as is.

Oh, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Tuttle submitted it to CSA himself, after giving psa, gai, or sgc a shot first. He has sold a fair amount of CSA cards in the past under that id, and he's about the only one selling them. I knew it was one of his auctions just from the scan. If he's not submitting them, it's kinda odd that he would be the consignor of choice for most of their cards on ebay.
  • Options
    I would not take the chance.

Many years ago CSA was was in direct competition with PSA. Both had solid reputations at the time. CSA changed to an ugly blue holder with no card ID...just a grade. PSA stayed status quo. CSA began to loose its market share very quickly and crossed over to the "dark side." Since this card is in a new(er) CSA holder, the chances of it being trimmed or altered is very very high. You can't tell by a scan, to properly check you will need crack it out, measure and look at the edges under a 50+ watt halogen light and loupe it.

If there is any doubt just check out the cert at their website....hint....it no longer exists. If you want a card at far less than market value and don't mind if it's trimmed, then go for it. Many collectors who want but can't afford a high-end card will do this just to own it.

Kevin
  • Options
    The top cut does appear to have an unnatural gleam to it (which I think was Major's initial question) and the total border area on the two sides looks to be less than normal. If you look closely at the scan in a photo app, you see the right side especially is much too perfect: not a pixel's variation from top to bottom. Fine for a 2004 card, but not for 1954. On top of that, there is just no way the seller, who deals heavily in PSA, did not attempt to get this into a PSA holder. It all adds up to trimming in my mind.

For comparison, the Aaron on the left seems to have more total white border on the sides, and the cut is more typical for the time:

imageimage
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For comparison, the Aaron on the left seems to have more total white border on the sides, and the cut is more typical for the time: >>

They look about the same to me.
  • Options
    onlychildonlychild Posts: 312
    Trust me on this one...

I would say 99% of the time you can't tell by a scan. It needs to be cracked and by that time it's too late and you have thrown your money away.

Kevin
  • Options
    It looks ok, I consider CSAs graders to be very experienced in the card doctoring category. From what I have seen on this board, I would be more worried if it were in a GAI.
    I love candy cards
  • Options

<< <i>no >>

Are you blind? The right top is obviously lower than the left top, while the bottom is a straight cut. Either something happened when Topps cut it, or the trimmer used a nice sharp cutter, but didn't have the card placed perfectly straight when it was cut.
  • Options

<< <i>Trust me on this one...

I would say 99% of the time you can't tell by a scan. It needs to be cracked and by that time it's too late and you have thrown your money away.

Kevin >>

You can usually tell from a scan if a card is trimmed. It's the way you look at it. The only way to never be sure a card was trimmed is it the trimmer cut it perfectly on all four side, thus making the card smaller, but still having even sides.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Idiot again - I thought you went away?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Seeing those 2 side by side makes it look like a real one and one of the ernifigures reprints. The total lack of brightness and gloss really makes it look that way. I think it is an authentic card but it just looks that wasy when side by side with the nice PSA scan. But again I say trimmed card- stay far, far away.
  • Options
    A card cant be cut at an uneven angle? Have you looked at many Bowmans? They often come this wayText
    I love candy cards
  • Options

<< <i>Idiot again - I thought you went away? >>

Idiot again? You're the idiot that doesn't think that card is trimmed. Might I emphasize doesn't think, because you have no ability to think you obnoxious little girl. Fix your bra. It's too tight and keeping the blood from your pea brain. Pathetic loser. Your girlfriend losepitcher is calling you.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Ylder-

How long until you start sending emails to board members? Behavior like this makes a strong case for a return to the "references" list.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Idiot again? You're the idiot that doesn't think that card is trimmed. Might I emphasize doesn't think, because you have no ability to think you obnoxious little girl. Fix your bra. It's too tight and keeping the blood from your pea brain. Pathetic loser. Your girlfriend losepitcher is calling you. >>

dumbass..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Idiot again? You're the idiot that doesn't think that card is trimmed. Might I emphasize doesn't think, because you have no ability to think you obnoxious little girl. Fix your bra. It's too tight and keeping the blood from your pea brain. Pathetic loser. Your girlfriend losepitcher is calling you. >>

dumbass.. >>

That's pronounce doo mahs
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    That's pronounce doo mahs >>

that makes no damn sense..

let me say it again.. you're a dumbass..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

dumbass.. >>

That's pronounce doo mahs >>

You need to just go away. You bring nothing productive to these boards, other than to attempt to insult long-standing members here who have forgotten more about baseball cards than you'll ever know.

• Options

<< <i>[

You need to just go away. You bring nothing productive to these boards, other than to attempt to insult long-standing members here who have forgotten more about baseball cards than you'll ever know. >>

That statement is evidence of your complete idiocy. I think it's time you refill your prozac prescription, you're beginning to think that you're somebody. You forgot once again that you're nobody. Loser
  • Options

<< <i>Seeing those 2 side by side makes it look like a real one and one of the ernifigures reprints. The total lack of brightness and gloss really makes it look that way. I think it is an authentic card but it just looks that wasy when side by side with the nice PSA scan. But again I say trimmed card- stay far, far away. >>

Allen, I agree it's trimmed -- Topps' cuts were not that clean in 1954 and the white borders look very slightly reduced -- but I think the washed-out appearance is just the quality of the scan.