Home PSA Set Registry Forum

golf card values ...

I've been amazed at the relative bargains on psa 9 jack nicklaus rc's I've seen lately on ebay. not too long ago, a psa 9 went for $300. I've seen a few lately close under $40. As '81 and '82 donruss collectors know, both sets have major centering problems, making mint examples not all that common. I can appreciate the limited interest in graded golf, but just a couple of years ago there was some real buzz around these cards (especially when tiger was on beckett cover). the nicklaus card (in both years) seems like a real bargain, given his place in the history of the sport.
Any opinions on the future for these two sets?

Comments

• JonBJonB Posts: 495
    I once started an 81 Donruss Golf set in PSA 9 (about a year and a half ago) I was about 50% complete when I sold it off several months back. I too have noticed the serious decline in price of PSA 9's from this set. I think PSA 10's still command a serious price though, even for commons.
  • I believe the values for the 1981 set will continue to go down, because there seems to be a lot of unopened/ungraded material still around. The production numbers were a lot lower on the 1982 set, so it will probably have the best chance of increasing/holding its value in the long term. There have already been 1,807 (535 – 9’s and 60 – 10’s) 1981 Nicklaus #13 cards graded, while there have only been 240 (102 – 9’s and 2 – 10’) 1982 Nickluas cards graded. I am a golf card collector and I would eventually like to own a PSA graded set of each, but I plan on waiting to build these sets.
    Jason
  • hey jason,

yes, I've noticed the growing number of graded nicklaus rcs -- I guess the psa 10's are now selling for what mint copies once commanded. still, the number of high-grade nicklaus cards is not unlike major hof baseball stars (excluding the unusually high number of gem rcs) from 60s and 70s and there are many fewer sets to find him in. The '82 set definitely seems a better bet to hold/gain value, but I have to believe such an icon rc as nicklaus has potential too -- even with the quantity now available.