Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Quad Ruth Mantle Munson Dimaggio Pants 9/15

I won a Quad Mantle Ruth Munson Dimaggio Pants 9/15 at the price of 504.00 on the bay yesterday . Do you think I got a good or a fair price or did I pay to much .
640K ought to be enough for anyone.
-Bill Gates,1981

"With hurricanes,tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,& with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,"Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"" Jay Leno 2006

Comments

• << <i>I won a Quad Mantle Ruth Munson Dimaggio Pants 9/15 at the price of 504.00 on the bay yesterday . Do you think I got a good or a fair price or did I pay to much . >>

with no signatures it seems a bit high, but if you keep it for a while, then it would surely go up in value.

is it graded?
  • No its not graded .
    -Bill Gates,1981

"With hurricanes,tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,& with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,"Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"" Jay Leno 2006

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe
    Your got a scan or link? Wasn't the value listed in beckett?

mike
    Mike
  • I think the saturated market of "game worn" has run its course. I dont care if its Ed Delahanty's game used pants, its a 1/2" x 1/2" piece of material! Just like a trimmed card or altered card should have no market value, how does a piece of material cut off of someones pants make the card worth anything? Kind of a hypocrisy the card companys are promoting at the expense of some truly great items! If its your thing, fine. But if you ask others if you paid too much for an item, you probably did. Card collecting is about collecting items you want to own, no matter if its 1% of the market price or 1000% of market price. The profits we make (if any in this lifetime) are just an added bonus to the joys of collecting....
  • I dont know how to link but here is the URL .maybe you can host the link for me or if you dont wanna use the URL the auction number is 5189180225

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=5189180225&amp;rd=1&amp;sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&amp;rd=1
    -Bill Gates,1981

• actually im only asking to create a topic that we can talk about .I beleive I got a great price for this card . In the Beckett ,which I understand is only a guide says that there is no price due to scarcity but one has a reported sale at 565.00 . Also a Ruth Mantle pants card with a print run of 50 has a guide price of 350/600 and up arrows ,the card I won at 504.00 has Ruth ,Mantle and Munson and Dimaggio has a print run of 15 and has two more stars ,My FAVORITE BEING THURMAN MUNSON
    -Bill Gates,1981

Link

Interesting card. Congratulations Joe!

mike
    Mike
  • Congrats.....that is a beautiful card that you got at a great price.

Absolutely no reason to listen to people who think their "old beat-up piece of card board" is any better than your "new very attractive rare game-used piece of card board".

Everyone collects what they like.....

Jeff

<< <i>I think the saturated market of "game worn" has run its course. I dont care if its Ed Delahanty's game used pants, its a 1/2" x 1/2" piece of material! Just like a trimmed card or altered card should have no market value, how does a piece of material cut off of someones pants make the card worth anything? Kind of a hypocrisy the card companys are promoting at the expense of some truly great items! If its your thing, fine. But if you ask others if you paid too much for an item, you probably did. Card collecting is about collecting items you want to own, no matter if its 1% of the market price or 1000% of market price. The profits we make (if any in this lifetime) are just an added bonus to the joys of collecting.... >>

baseball
    Joe asked if he got a good deal - this opened up the possibility of discussion about the merit of slicing up perfectly good uniforms and what constitutes legitimate collectibles - the thing about return on investment and the goal of a hobby is peripheral but also fair to comment.

But, Joe paid a lot of money for the card and asked for an opinion, not to have that opinion curtly jammed up his ass!

Stone

edit: If we ever vote for someone to be the "Prince of Pontification" - you get my vote!
    Mike
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking card, it's a plus that there's a stripe on the munson and ruth.
  • I really like it, think you paid a nice price for it--I agree love the left half of the card Munson/Ruth
    http://www.freewebs.com/hermessportscards/

purchased from Ref: thematrix31, zbarr, xxchamp34xx, baljitgill, qyntelwoods24,joebenson, joestalin
  • I'm very sure if asked today that these players would be very happy to know that hundreds of people are enjoying these jerseys (albeit small patches) instead of just a couple of wealthy collectors who could afford it as a whole.

That is an awesome card.....I'm jealous....

Jeff

<< <i>But if you ask others if you paid too much for an item, you probably did. Card collecting is about collecting items you want to own, no matter if its 1% of the market price or 1000% of market price. The profits we make (if any in this lifetime) are just an added bonus to the joys of collecting.... >>

This is just mean spirited!

Stone
    Mike

<< <i>I'm very sure if asked today that these players would be very happy to know that hundreds of people are enjoying these jerseys (albeit small patches) instead of just a couple of wealthy collectors who could afford it as a whole.

That is an awesome card.....I'm jealous....

Jeff >>

Jeff
    You nailed it! I understand the purists with respect to memorabilia. But, the average person will never in their wildest dreams afford a 200 grand jersey - this is the whole reason they came up with these swatch cards.

If someone disagrees, fine but be nice about it.

mike
    Mike
  • Remember, if you buy something you truly like and enjoy, who cares what someone else thinks. If you will get $504 dollars of enjoyment out of your card, and I believe you will, more power to you. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
  • Wow. I was asked for an opinion and gave one and got bashed for it. That is one reason I hate to give opinions, because everyone has one and is entitled to it. Facts are true and false. Opinions are just that. One persons likes as opposed to another. It wasnt given to be mean spirited. People argue vintage vs. modern, T3's vs. Ramleys, inserts non inserts, true rookie cards, on and on and on. If I pay 100 times book for a card I wanted and posted it, I wouldnt really care if anyone thought it was too much, or if I purchased one for 2 cents that was worth 10,000.00 it wouldnt matter either. Too much is placed on the value of a card that is price guide oriented (or in this case not listed because of scarcity). Every baseball card that was ever produced to me is a work of art. The card is a great looking card. I dont follow the prices of those types because I dont collect them. I dont know why Im defending myself, but the main reason I posted was just to say what I said. Collecting is just that. Collecting. I am a true collector (not putting myself on a pedestal) and the only ones that will ever benefit from it are my children and grandchildren. With set registry's and catalog auctions the true aspect of the hobby has gotten lost. Just collecting because we love cards. Be it 2 pennies or 2 million dollars....
  • Baseball, that is what I meant. Collect what you like and dollar value doesn't mean anything. IMO you got a good deal. Thanks.
  • I think the card is really pretty sweet. Again, if you want to touch these guys vintage uniforms and can't afford the half million dollars to buy them complete, than 500 bucks is a damnn good price. Its all what you want.

GG

<< <i>Wow. I was asked for an opinion and gave one and got bashed for it. That is one reason I hate to give opinions >>

baseball
    Giving ones opinion is one thing. Being mean spirited about it is another. I did not get upset because you gave your opinion but rather for your extremely unfair characterization of the card. Joe asked for an opinion - you would not like if you had paid 500 bucks for something and got slammed.

I'm not trying to be the propriety police here but come on - be fair - I think Joe is owed the same deference and respect you would give a friend if he just came to your house - in person - and asked for your input.

Is that fair? Would you talk to your best friend like that? I doubt it.

mike
    Mike
  • Like what I said Mike. It wasnt given to be mean spirited. My friends know that whatever they ask of me to brace themselves because I speak what is on my mind. I wont just say nice card you got a good deal or bad card you got ripped off. I will give my opinion, which is just that, and will state "now, this is only what I think but...." and will go into a speech about the subject that wont end until someone says "Geez, now tell us how you really feel...."
    It wasnt meant to be mean spirited

<< <i>Like what I said Mike. It wasnt given to be mean spirited. My friends know that whatever they ask of me to brace themselves because I speak what is on my mind. I wont just say nice card you got a good deal or bad card you got ripped off. I will give my opinion, which is just that, and will state "now, this is only what I think but...." and will go into a speech about the subject that wont end until someone says "Geez, now tell us how you really feel...."
    It wasnt meant to be mean spirited >>

I have to apologetically say that it appeared that way to me and I have given my opinion here all the time but there are ways not be "brutally" honest and hurt someone's feelings IMO.

Plus he asked an opinion on whether he paid a good price and didn't ask if these are valid collectibles and didn't ask for a lecture on whether a hobby needs to focus on the dollar value of something to be "enjoyed" or not.

Go back and read your post - and look at Joe's original question. In all the time I have been here, I rarely get involved in this kind of stuff. But, the guy deserved our sincerely best as a forum and not a brutal shot.
    I'm here all the time - I expect shots at me - that's OK.

Guys, I apologize if it looks like I have over-reacted.

mike
    Mike