Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Okay. This was my trade.

This is just a discussion about cardboard. There is no reason to fight.

After a sale and some purchases, this was essentially the trade.

for

and

I am thrilled. I would take that trade any time. What do you think? I swapped one rare card for three cards that you can find nearly every day of the week.
Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
My Pirates Collection

Comments

• kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    The Aaron autograph is nice but you gave up a LOT of cards in trade. The important thing though is that YOU are satisfied with the deal.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Jim -

Do you mean that you bought the three cards with the proceeds from the Aaron auto?

Love the Clemente and Schmidt. Looks like the nice corners helped get the 8, and help distract from the centering.

I think I'd rather see this type of 8 than one with an obvious hit corner or two.

As for 7's I start to look more at the centering first from there down.

Conrats!

Keith
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i> I swapped one rare card for three cards that you can find nearly every day of the week. >>

Now I get it. image You got the Schmidt RC, Stargell RC and Clemente. All you had to give up was the Aaron auto. IMO you did fantastic!!! Congratulations!
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I swapped one rare card for three cards that you can find nearly every day of the week. >>

Now I get it. image You got the Schmidt RC, Stargell RC and Clemente. All you had to give up was the Aaron auto. IMO you did fantastic!!! Congratulations! >>

If that was the case, I agree he did fantastic - almost unbelievably fantastic, imo. I would value the Aaron auto at no more than $50.

Actually, the Aaron auto sold for $449. I didn't think they went for that much either, and wondered if it would hit $200.

Goes to show how much I know!

Aaron auto
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, the Aaron auto sold for $449. I didn't think they went for that much either, and wondered if it would hit $200.

Aaron auto >>

Keith
    I don't get what is going on this year with the autos? Aaron is far from a tough auto to get and where he signed it is very unpleasing to the eye - you can hardly read it!
    My opinion - if we are talking about value? Although one has a pretty good guarantee of authenticity with the card, I can't see this thing holding its value over time?

mike
    Mike
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I agree with the rest of you ... a recent Aaron auto for those three great vintage cards, man oh man, he came out way ahead. Heck, it would have been a sweet deal for just the Schmidt rookie alone.
    Mike -

I agree. It looks like the autos are going for much more. Heritage is gaining interest every year. The release date is also good - just before training camp and building into the start of the season.

The buyer is a Braves fan, and Dale Murphy in particular.

Aaron auto buyer

Any way you look at it, Jim hit big on this one!

I have been watching a message board at a case seller's website for the last few weeks. One guy there swears by Heritage and claims to have made several Gs from breaking cases and selling sets and inserts.

I also think that many more autos are left to be found. Hope so since I haven't bought much lately and hit only one small $ auto.

Keith
    I still only put a value of $50 on that card. Aaron used to do a lot of shows so his auto was not hard to come by but I don't know about recently though.

<< <i>I still only put a value of $50 on that card. Aaron used to do a lot of shows so his auto was not hard to come by but I don't know about recently though. >>

Steve
    Aaron's stuff has been increasing - a few years ago his ball went for in the 40 buck range - it's now selling for over a hundred. Also Mantle and for what ever reason Koufax!

The allure of the Heritage autos has been impressive and this year people are paying big money for the HOF'ers!

mike
    Mike
  • This was an excellent deal for you IMO. There are many heritage crazies out there, so your timing is good. I can't see how the card you traded has much room to appreciate since Aaron is still alive and could easily pull a dimaggio or mantle and sign 5,000,000 more things before he dies.

Excellent deal. Any move to vintage is sweet in my book image

GG
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    in a year or so you should be able to buy back a similar aaron auto for around 200

Great deal
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
    Hold on, I'm confused. Reading ArchStanton's post again, he seems to be saying the three vintage cards (which he can find any day of the week) aren't as valuable as the modern Aaron auto (which he feels is rare). Unless that was meant as humor or sarcasm, I think maybe he meant HE gave up the Schmidt rookie, Stargell rookie, and '61 Clemente to get the auto? That's what Koby thought too, from his reply.
  • CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    Great deal, I would trade the Aaron for those 3 any day.
    Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I swapped one rare card for three cards that you can find nearly every day of the week. >>

I think all of you need to reread this sentence. To me, it implies that he acquired the Aaron auto, but I could certainly be wrong. I mean, who would get excited about trading *for* "three cards that you can find nearly every day of the week."?
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The way i read it is he traded the 3 cards FOR the Aaron auto. If that is the case all that matters is if he is happy with the trade. I wouldn't be.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I'm fairly sure Jim must have got the 3 cards in trade FOR the aaron auto. The reason is he posted awhile back on the heritage thread that he had got that aaron card in a few packs he bought. I could be mistaken though.
    Ryan
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I can't believe any card issued this year is "rare"- even "desireable" is pushing it. If you traded the Aaron straight up for one of those other cards you'd be ripping off the guy, let alone all three.
    Just because it's going for a lot on ebay this week doesn't mean it will next. Anyone got any of those "can't miss" Canseco rookies?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, I can't believe any card issued this year is "rare"- even "desireable" is pushing it. >>

There are only 56 of them. That's not "rare?"
    Scarce maybe, not rare.

edited to add: The original poster said: This is just a discussion about cardboard. There is no reason to fight.image
    Good for you.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Look at all the Heritage busted on this board, how many Aaron autos were pulled? Seems pretty rare then.

He sold the Aaron on ebay and bought those 3 cards on ebay with the money. Though the reserve on the Schmidt was not met, I guess he worked a deal with the seller. He does use a rather odd choice of language in explaining the deal though, I see how everyone is confused.
    Then he did good.
    Good for you.
  • I would much rather have the cards you traded to get the Aaron. The Aaron autograph is very nice but is quite common in the marketplace. I'm not factoring in any Heritage set premiums that collectors might consider paying to finish sets.
  • while that particular auto is # to 56 didnt aaron sign in other heritage years ie. Berra ( I know he did) making Aarons auto actually not as rare as the #/56 indicates..maybe it is #/56 for that card but not the auto because there are other #ed aaron autos in other heritage years..

plus if you were collecting a set and a particular player had 56 examples of a psa 8..would you consider that a low pop, rare card..I wouldn't
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set

• << <i>Then he did good. >>

IF he traded the Aaron for the 3, then he did GREAT.

• << <i>Actually, the Aaron auto sold for $449. I didn't think they went for that much either, and wondered if it would hit $200.

Aaron auto >>

For those who joined us late in the game, here is a recap. Jim sold the Aaron auto and bought the three cards, all nice examples of desirable cards.

A good deal and smart move to capitalize on the Heritage craze. The auto is not the best looking and he could get another better looking example in the future for less.

Keith
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done. That was not an especially appealing Aaron auto. Congrats on the new acquisitions.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I think some are underestimating the power of modern collectors, especially heritage collectors! The red autos ALWAYS sell for close
    to high book and somtimes over. There just isn't enought product out there to make guys happy. Plus Aaron will no longer be signing with topps. If you
    have a run of topps Aaron autos this will be his last.

There are cards out there of Felix Hernandez, who hasn't played a major league game yet, that will out sell all three of those cards
    combined! The rookie market in baseball is just sick. Guys best rookies are now numbed to 25, 10 and even 1! You think that
    Schmidt is rare, just wait another 33 years and track down a card numbered to 10

Im glad you pulled that beauty, you are probably the only one here who pulled something nice in heritage. I liked the set this year, but
    I completly struck out when it came to high end pulls! You have to wonder sometimes if just buying a set off ebay is the best way
    to go.

Kevin

• ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about any confusion due to my lack of clarity.

I sold the Aaron auto to someone who obviously really wanted it. I was stunned at the sale price. It was about double what I would have guessed, and about ten times what I would have paid. The other three scans are cards that I bought in the following weeks whose cost totaled very close to the Aaron's sale price. I thought the perspective of trading one for the others would be an interesting idea.

I am very happy with the outcome, but I am sure as heck not going to knock the collector who bought the auto. That is a really cool card, and it is certainly hard to find as evidenced by the number of Heritage packs opened by people on this board. My wife tells me I'm crazy for chasing the cards I buy no matter what they are. (I think she's cracked for blowing our daughter's dowry at Nine West.) I just wanted some other cards more than I wanted the Hank Aaron. No of us has unlimited resources, so we make our choices.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Im glad you pulled that beauty, you are probably the only one here who pulled something nice in heritage. I liked the set this year, but
    I completly struck out when it came to high end pulls! You have to wonder sometimes if just buying a set off ebay is the best way
    to go.

>>

Financially speaking it would be wiser to buy the set on Ebay. However as long as you feel you are getting your moneys worth in entertainment, there is nothing wrong with opening packs. Guys have been known to spend a lot more and receive a lot less in other pursuits as well.
    Congratulations Arch
    I think you've been very busy! Great cards BTW. I'm particularly attached to the #388 Clemente.
    I like the Topps autos but I'm a bit unhappy where Aaron signed them - one can barely see the auto.

As a big Heritage collector - I am very impressed with the buying power on ebay this year for autos!
    But I will say - some of the high prices may not stand IMO, but let's see where they are next year.

As a side note on how strong Heritage autos can be - just check out the 01 autos - rock solid. And, if memory serves - no one has a better array than JoeStalin.

mike
    Mike
    as far as eye appeal, I will agree that the sig doesn't look too great where it is signed. The actual card is classic and is very nice. I found for the
    most part the early heritage show up better...of course 01 (1952) had the white space for the auto, I think that the next years cards
    all appear on light backgrounds which make the autos stand out.

sagard....I think even if you had perfect coallation you would spend more on boxes than buying the set off ebay, even though you would
    pay too much if you bought the set early on. I don't know any true heritage collector who could not only stay away from buying packs
    and boxes not to mention not buying their set within the first few weeks. John is perhaps the most steamline heritage set builder out
    of all of us,but even he spend some good dough.

I think the key point with heritage is this....sitting on a 500 count box of sp's, chomes and inserts can be lucrative, especially when there
    are more and more heritage collectors jumping on the wagon. I can't think of a set that I can sell singles several years later. Heck after
    as little as 4 years later, 2001 heritage base cards are hard to find! Who is to say what will be collectable in 20 year of so...heritage might
    be up there!

I really wished that I still had the email addy of that congressmen who owned the 2001 heritage master blue auto set. He had it on ebay
    last year but it didn't sell. You want to talk about a massive set, dang.

.....now, here is a question...what would you rather own.....that Schmidt rookie graded GAI whatever, or say a second year card that
    Schmidt autographed whose print run was 10?
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Why would he say three cards you can find everyday for something that he received. Sounds like he would not care to have them if they are that easy to obtain. Anyways I would not mind having those three for the one. I think the corners saved that Clemente. The surface looks a little off, print line? A trade is only worth what ever happieness it brings you. As a kid a trade was made based on which cards you needed to complete your set or if you wanted a certain person, so if you traded a Kaline for a Ray Oylier, you did not care if you had doubles of the Kaline and no Oylier, monitery value was not of importance.

Stingray
  • Ill take the schmidt rookie card over a second year scmidt autographed all day: why? because I honestly feel RC's have a wider appeal and wont lose value, again, thats MY preference, not always the smartest, but for me I love rc's of players, and to tell you the truth a singnature on a card takes away from the beauty of the artwork, I mean picasso never signed his paintings in the middle of his paintings..it was in the corner not to detract from the piece of artwork. JUST MY OPINION, I find the beauty in the card!
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • RG58RG58 Posts: 119
    that autographed Aaron card is ugly- I'll take the vintage cards anyday over that thing- If you want an autograph of Aaron, get it on the sweetspot of a ball or on a picture of him that could be framed, not a reprinted baseball card!

<< <i>that autographed Aaron card is ugly- I'll take the vintage cards anyday over that thing- If you want an autograph of Aaron, get it on the sweetspot of a ball or on a picture of him that could be framed, not a reprinted baseball card! >>

Even though I did jump on the Heritage bandwagon briefly, I think you nailed it - Topps Heritage are reprints. In 20 years, they will be viewed as such because there is the regular 2005 Topps issue. As clever as these are, they are gimmick or novelty cards with artificially contrived scarcities.
  • aaron may not be signing for topps anymore, so you can just see him at a show and probably get a much better looking auto on your own topps card. Sure its not numbered, but the auto will be better and you can save a ton of money. this is exactly why I think even the auto gimmick is getting saturated. unless the player is dead, the long term value just doesn't convince me. Of course good multi player signed cards are a different story.

I still think the overall concensus is going to the vintage 3 was the stronger long term deal.

GG

<< <i>Topps Heritage are reprints >>

Steve
    I'm not trying to pick this apart but Topps Heritage can not be classified as a reprint. The issue is a first run with a copy of the 1956 design. The Aaron card, as such, is a reprint of the original card and is numbered to 56 and thus, is very limited. I'm not a big fan of "limited" autos since the auto, as such, is not rare at all. The market place in the future will tell the tale on that one.

But with respect to future value - if Heritage fans want one for their collection - there's only 56 and anything can happen in the future.

mike

I picked this up before OC was as big an issue in the early 90s - it's a favorite of mine and you can easily see the auto heritage is exactly the same.

Mike
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I would have also traded that Aaron for those 3 vintage ANY day!
    Ok, so the Aaron is a red sig auto #/56....but its just an Aaron auto! There are plenty of blue sigs out there that can be purchased if you really want it in your set.
    Dont get me wrong...I love the heritage and spent a put-load of money on it and have enjoyed it. But if I yanked that card I would have done the same.
    I do have a red ink auto of Feller but that would never go like that Aaron so I havent been in any kind of a hurry to do anything with it. In fact, I will probably keep it unless someone has a blue ink Berra they would like to trade even up!
    Hey Mike ... PSA made a horrible mistake! They put 1956 Topps on the the flip of your nice Heritage card. Aren't you gonna make them fix it??

I don't collect Heritage, but I think it's great. Anything that gets modern collectors interested in real vintage and the rich history of the sport has got to be good for the hobby. And it gives vintage collectors something of interest among the modern offerings. You guys drive me nuts with your Heritage this and Heritage that, but I do like the way it connects the present to the past.

To misquote Mr Rogers: "Everybody's fancy, everybody's fine. Your cards are fancy and ... so ... are ... mine."
  • DavinoDavino Posts: 333

<< <i>[Guys have been known to spend a lot more and receive a lot less in other pursuits as well. >>

on loose wimmens's, but not that much else.
    GC..we have been over this before. In todays marketplace a certified auto by one of the card companies will ALWAYS be worth
    more than something you got yourself....sure it may be cheaper, but you won't get a fraction of the money on a card that was
    pack pulled. Im not a huge Aaron fan, so I don't know his signing habits, but Im sure he isn't giving away his auto...I bet
    he charges a big price, and I bet you will stand in a huge line too!

Mike...sweet card, why do I feel you are holding out on us? LOL Feel free to drop us some more vintage scans!

Kevin