Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Comments

• Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    WOW that is unreal. I bet those on another thread about that psa4 mantle would love this too.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    its centered well....probably the only thing going for it.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    That is one ugly card.....tons of stains and a large paperloss right in the chest.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    In addition to the obvious wear and tear from going through the laundry a few times in the pocket of somebody's blue jeans, the seller (to his credit) describes the less obvious flaws:

"a light diagonal surface wrinkle in the upper left corner, a couple of small surface scuffs and scrapes, along with a stain in the corner on the back."

So, if it DIDN'T have the problems you can't see in the scan, I calculate it should be graded 7 NM. image
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I don't get it either. I had a card recently graded that had no creases, a stain on the back, and the smallest scrape of paper. It was downgraded to a PSA 2 - Good for the "paper loss" that is barely visible just above Charlie's head.

And THAT card which is missing a CHUNK of paper in the middle, gets a PSA 3?
  • Options
    I thought any card with some type of paper loss automatically recieved a 1?? This is the second card posted on these threads in 24hrs that I disagree with psa on, the other card was a 51' bowman Mantle rookie that was graded a psa 4 but looks no better then a 2.

Jake
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Southsider (or anybody)--how do you know that the paper loss you described was what downgraded your card? Did PSA tell you that? How can you get them to tell you why they've graded any card the way they do? I would love to know exactly why they have downgraded some of my cards, it would sure help me learn what they look for.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I haven't been able to discern any consistent pattern to PSA's treatment of paper loss. I'd say a 2 is probably the most common grade for cards with paper loss, but I have a 5 with a pea-sized scuff on a front border and I've seen 6's (and have one) with little flecks of text missing on back.

I can live with some with some variability in how PSA handles the issue since not all paper loss is created equally, but this Bengough is a hideous atrocity. If I had bought that card sight unseen, I'd be freakin' livid upon pulling it out of the package.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is still a nice card southsider, no matter what PSA states.

Stingray