Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Do Any Of You Buy Dups As Investments?

Okay, I own a killer 1859 DP #2 in PGCS MS-64 RB (my sigline coin). So, I find another great one, a PCGS top ten coin, and likely will be the same on an ICCS crossgrade. It's not cheap. but I buy it as a investment. Do any of you do the same?

Here's my dup, in a very nice PCGS MS-63 RB.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I buy some dupes because I like the series! I have way too many weenie coins and some other countries.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to call my dupes "the hoard"

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    One more dup. 1891 SDLL Obverse #2 in PCGS MS-62 RB

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I never get around to selling anything, so I've ended up with a few duplicates. This typically only happens when I upgrade.
  • Options
    P.S. Gene - Great buy on the 1890H - Rob

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector, I only buy dupes as trading material. Of course, that only makes sense because the coins I collect are rare AND cheap.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Not only do I buy duplicates, but I also buy coins in series I don't collect so that I have trading material when someone has the coin(s) I need...
    PS: Anyone want to trade my 1¢ 1859 DP#2 PCGS MS65 RB (pop 1/0) for their 5¢ 1932 PCGS MS66?image
  • Options
    Don't have the five cent piece, but a straight sale of the DP2 could work. PM me if interested.

• Options
    I have dupes of most of my favorite designs. Some I buy with a thought to future sales, but the majority are just because they have a different look such as toning patterns or colors.

Steve
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    In Geneva I'm know as Dupe da Mus!image
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Only when it's too good of a deal to pass up. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    when I am buying most of my stuff over the internet, I almost always buy dupes. That way I can pick and choose the coins that I really want to have in my sets and either sell or trade the dupes out for other coins.

The only one I haven't done this with is the 1942 SA 1/4D. I love the color of the mint-blackened coins and I just flat-out hoard these (someting like 20 of them in Unc and still counting image)
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Most of my dups are the result of upgrades; however, I do buy some to have for trading purposes.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I will sometimes hoard Irish 10 shillings and then when I feel I have too many sell them off when the time is right.image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I only buy duplicates as "investments" if I come across a really rare coin that took me years to find in the first place. I hardly ever do so because I hardly ever come across truly "rare" coins.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    If you run into a nice coin that is priced right you almost have to buy it, even if you already have one.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do a lot of trading for coins. I keep anything that the market undervalues until it's
    overvalued at which point it's traded off again. It's a long term plan but it means that
    some things I have in some small quantity.

Unfortunately I'm wrong sometimes and have let some great coins go way too "cheap".
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Not only do I buy duplicates, but I also buy coins in series I don't collect so that I have trading material when someone has the coin(s) I need...
    PS: Anyone want to trade my 1¢ 1859 DP#2 PCGS MS65 RB (pop 1/0) for their 5¢ 1932 PCGS MS66?image >>

Actually, I won't sell the coin for $$$, because I only acquired it for the purpose of trading. But thanks for the offer. image
  • Options
    lots of australian kookaburra dupes, love those beautiful coins!
  • Options
    Yes but not as an investment. I trade them off but the price has to be right.

Mark
  • Options

<< <i>Yes but not as an investment. I trade them off but the price has to be right.

Mark[/q;image
  • Options
    If I had your five cent piece, I would trade you, but alas I do not. image

• Options

<< <i>If I had your five cent piece, I would trade you, but alas I do not. image >>

It's funny/frustrating how often I end up with top pop coins of a series I don't really collect, and then can't get the coins I really want. Sigh.image