Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

No (ST) qualifier on this 51 Bowman Mantle?

Textimage

That is an ugly 4. Look at the massive stain right on the front. How did it not get a (ST) ?

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The question should be how did it get vg 4!

I have a 69 WL Mantle that was given the St qualifier for a minimal amt of wax on the back. I guess I shouldn't complain as it, like most of that issue should have recieved an OC.

Good for you.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I agree, it doesn't look good enough to be a 4 even without the stain.

Meanwhile, my modern 9s come back as 8s and DSL's 9s come back as 10s. This inconsistency is freakin' me out. No point in submitting raw ... just wait and buy DSL or 4SC's stuff on their third or fourth cycle through the Bay. It's usually priced too high the first few times.
  • Options
    ...the countdown for DBH's post has begun...lol.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    the card is graded a 4...its not a high end card.

Anything below a 6 will most likely have some issues, stains, rounded corners etc.

at this condition level all it matter its the authenticity, when the card has decent eye appeal its a plus.

the stain is nowhere near his face, its not a bad grade really.

It is what it is..a low grade card with crappy eye appeal, the price will reflect that..whats the big deal?

the stain is mostly on a corner and does not affect the picture at all, the colors are vivid and the focus is crisp.

I collect mid grade and low grade pre war cards and imperfections are to be expected.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the person who sent it in requested no qualifier.. The card without the stain looks like a 5 to me though (on the assumption that there are no creases).. I think with that stain, corners centering with no qualifier if should be no higher than a 3. The guy who sent that in must have been pretty happy with that grade.
  • Options
    That card would be lucky to be in a psa 2 let alone a psa 4!

Jake
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts exactly....
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I second the 2.... Is'nt there a cut off on grades where qualiliers dont come into play anymore. If we are talking about a 9OC that doesnt have the minium standards for anything NQ above a 6 it should remain a 9OC. But once you get below say a 4-5 does any of the minium standards come into play??? I think not.. I have yet to see a 5OC or a 4ST... Maybe I am wrong. I still think that card is over graded..
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options

I agree with Callecho, however I have a 2 that blows that 4 away.....
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Steve - awesome 2.
    Ever think of resubmitting?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

I agree with Callecho, however I have a 2 that blows that 4 away..... >>

Morning Steve
    What does the back look like? I agree with Mark - that's a screamer of a 2!!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    This card makes all of these look like PSA 7's ........

You will not believe this PSA 3 NQ...
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    You're right, I don't believe that PSA 3.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    that 3 is fugly!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

OK the story regarding my Robby rookie is this. i bought it raw off ebay from a dealer that sells graded cards. (my first mistake) he graded as ex/mnt and claimed that he was seller assisting it and the owner could not wait for it to be graded etc. well i won the card for 350.00 (outbidding kit young) which made me happy btw. I get the card and I notice that the top right corner has a crease that can barely be seen and realised that it is no way an ex/mny card even though it presents that way. In fairness to PSA they downgrade a card by 2 points if they feel a card has been "fixed" that is the original crease was flattened out so as to not make it appear so bad. When i got the card i was hoping for a 4 (not knowing the policy at the time) In any event I am happy with the card and that is all that matters. The seller yas YORKTOWN SPORTS and I have never spent another dime there since. B4 that I had bought many items from him.

STEVE
    Good for you.