Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Doesn't some one here collect super low-grade Ikes?

I remember seeing something about some one who is collecting super low-grade Ikes.

I just got an NGC batch back.....what I thought was a 71-D Die Trial Adjustment Strike turned out to
get a grade of NGC AG3.image

I'm not sure if that's good or not..image

Brian

I LOVE image IKES! image

Comments

• Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I'm not sure if that's good or not..image

Brian
    >>

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Here's a couple PCGS FR02's. I believe Pat Braddick has an NGC PO01!

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Here's a picture of the NGC AG3:

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Craig,
    Thanks for posting those......It's a lot easier to compare the (2) 71-D's now.image

Comparing the PCGS FR02 to the NGC AG3.....I would have to say the NGC has a bit more wear
    both on the Obverse and the Reverse. I think it can go lower than FR02.
    Funny, I've nver rooted to get a BAD grade!

I'll send it in to cross at any grade and see what comes up.

Happy Hunting!
    Brian

I LOVE image IKES! image
  • Options
    Pat Braddick is a lover of about good, or less. Down the road he will probally sell his collection for a huge profit.
    Think about 1955, 1972 doubled dies. Also, now chop marked trade dollars are highly sought and collected.
    I know a collector that collects nothing but cleaned coins. I once asked him why, and he said : " Sooner or later, everything has it's turn ". I can't argue with that logic.
    Futhermore, he has little competition, and pays very little to acquire the coins !
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yike! Ike! looks sinister in low grades!image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you weigh the coin before submitting it? A die adjustment strike would weigh the same as a normal dollar, where a severely worn coin should weigh slightly less. Another thing to check is the reeding, it will be incomplete on a DAS as the low striking pressure prevents the coin from expanding into the collar. Unfortunately, the weight and the rim are the two things you can't check now that the coin is slabbed.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor