Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1964 Topps Football experts - advice sought

I just received my grades from the 1960's special (4243283 zip 60490) and was pleasantly surprised with my 2 1964 Topps cards that were submitted:

10 31104866 1964 TOPPS 12 RON HALL N/A 8
11 31104867 1964 TOPPS 59 BOB SCARPITTO N/A 9

The Ron Hall is a 1/20 with 2 higher and the Bob Scarpitto is a 1/1 with none higher. I am new to the 1964 set and was wondering what the Scarpitto would be worth being a 1/1. Any thoughts or suggestions? I am an avid collector and never sell any of my high grade vintage football cards - however, the apparant rarity of the Scarpitto is making re-think my policy of not selling high grade cards. There are many holes in my collection that I need to fill.

Regards,

Greg M.
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    dsl has a bunch now on ebay a few 1 of 1,s watch them
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

What skinsfan said.

Can't decide for myself if I want to build that set with the commons in 9 or not.
    Used to pick them up here and there when they were fairly cheap, but prices seem to be escalating ... image
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Skinsfan. The 1964 Topps set has always interested me. I'm surprised at how low the pops are in PSA 9.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Thanks Skinsfan. The 1964 Topps set has always interested me. I'm surprised at how low the pops are in PSA 9.

Topps choice of the upstart AFL over the established NFL in 1964 resulted in a windfall for the Philadelphia Gum Co. Looking at the population reports, there are almost 9,000 graded 64 Philly FB cards as opposed to 3,600 64 Topps FB. Looks like we still prefer the NFL.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Frank,
    I would not argue that the Phillys were more popular in the day and so was the NFL. But I would suspect that the ultimate reason that the Phillys are more plentiful graded than the Topps is more related to availability. Unopened Topps stuff from 64 is virtually non-existant. In fact the wrappers and display boxes are fairly challenging from that year. The Philly material is available and it wasn't that many years ago that the close out racks were readily available at every major show (those 100 card - 2 pocket rack packs). I know that most of the people here will grade anything that is worthwhile, whether they collect it or not. At least it is resellable and often at a profit. I have found many high end Phillys raw but rarely any Topps.

Greg,
    I would sell the 9 or at least take offers. There have been a few people that have been buying lately and I suspect that long term, that will not stay a pop 1. Should you decide to let it go, I probably have some extra PSA 8's from that set that I would be willing to put up in trade for it.

Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    I must agree yet again with the fuzz that 64 phillys are much easier then 64 topps to come by ,but it is also true that 64 philly,s are much more popular because of the nfl tie already pointed out.
    64 seems to be the easiest year of all phillys they get harder each year and 67,s are darn right tough!!!
    I see 1000 wax and cellos from all other philly years for every 1 from 67 as the last year philly made cards i think there buget was much tighter as to what was produced.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    All great points and valid reasons. Of course let's not forget that a lot of people think the set is not very attractive. The star border is a bit much ... and there's nothing uglier than an off center 1964 Topps card (Except Art in his Speedo).

I've been buying a few here and there, and just submitted some myself .... from what I can tell so far, centered cards seem a little tougher to come by than some of the other mid 60's years.

As for selling the low pop 9, I'd dump it now. ... because when my submission come back, there will be a ton of new 9's and 10's on the market. ;-)

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/