Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1990 NO S LINCOLN CENT PRICING

The Heritage auction at the Central States (CSNS) in St. Louis next week brings another opportunity for someone to aquire this rare coin.The Heritage auction

Problem is that with the reserve the price for this PCGS PR67DCAM coin is already over $6,700 with the juice. I don't think it will sell. JMHO.

We also have a couple of examples in this same auction of why it is vital to get this coin out of government packaging and into a major third party graded holder ASAP. Any real gamblers out there?

Example #1
Example #2

Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it is over $6,700 more than I would pay for it already.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    WAY 2 MUCH! Many 68DCAM's have gone for $5,500-7,500 on eBay over the last few months.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, someone has bid the two proof sets up to $3,500 and $3,000 with the juice. No reserve on those two. The PCGS PR67DCAM is stuck and most likely will not sell because the reserve is higher than the current market for a PR67DCAM. Steveimage
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Another one up on eBay folks.....

1990 NO "S"
  • Options
    Amazingly, the two proof sets sold for $4.3 thousand and $3.7 thousand with no reserve. It shows me that the 1990 no S proof Lincoln cent DOES have value to collectors no matter the condition. I bet the buyer(s) are betting that conservation will get the coins into a PCGS or NGC slab at at least the 67DCAM level. It will be interesting to see how this coin fares in future auctions this year. Steveimage
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this coin considered purely an error?
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    Seth, In my opinion this is one of the most visually obvious error coins out there if you know that all 1990 proof coins should have an "S" mint mark. Certainly, the 1955 doubled die in the Lincoln series is another obvious error coin. My definition of "error" is a coin that is produced by the US Mint with design features different from what was intended. The 1960 small date and large date varieties in the Lincoln cent series are varieties, but NOT errors because the mint intended them to be produced that way. Steve image
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

By your example the Small over Large date varieties would then be considered errors, as they were never intended to be hubbed from different hubs.
  • Options
    LaMont, technically I agree. Of course there are hundreds of these "errors" and varieties just in the Lincoln Cent series. Some need a 10x or 20x lens to see. I certainly accept these coins as varieties but I personally don't collect them. I've limited my collecting to the base date & mintmark coins plus what I call major varieties which are the ones you find in the major pricing guides like Coin World's Coin Values. Steveimage
  • Options
    Have a 1990 no S for sale on ebay $6500 or $6750 buy it now
    COLLECTOR AND DEALER FOR 45 YEARS LIKES MINT STATE MERCS AND WALKERS I HELP BUILD REGISTRY SETS.
  • Options
    Bill's coin is #3975022192 on EBAY, closing Sunday May 24th. There is a second one out there also. Both are in PCGS PR68DCAM holders.

It is very interesting to me to follow the activity in this rare coin over the past few years. When the pricing shot up last year after collectors realized that there really weren't 3,555 produced (more like maybe 200) we saw prices like $5k+ for a PCGS 67DCAM, $8k+ for a PCGS 68DCAM and $14k+ for a PCGS 69DCAM. Then there was a rush to get the remaining government packaged coins from proof sets certified and PROTECTED. The populations have gone up about 25 coins in the past year to near 70 total. That has then caused the prices to soften somewhat. BUT, the dealers who hold these coins KNOW they are really rare and will not let them go for "just any price". So, few have been selling lately. Surprisingly a couple of Government packaged proof sets in which the 1990 no S was enviornmentally damaged sold recently at the Heritage auction for $4.3 and $3.7 as noted above. That sort of puts a bottom on the value of this coin. No doubt in my mind that the so called "average" example of this coin (PR68DCAM) will get to $10k in the next few years. This coin, along with the 1909VDB Matte Proof, are the key coins to the Lincoln Cent PROOF collection. Both have only about 200 examples in all grades in existance in my opinion. Both have specific diagnostics to prove that they are not counterfeit. If you collect Lincoln proof cents good luck in aquiring one of these for your collection. Steveimage
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    69DCAM Bid $12,800, Buy $13,500

68DCAM Bid $6,500, Buy $6,750

Edited to add: Steve, the softening you refer to is only a respite from all-time highs but still at a level far above 2 years ago when 68DCAMS were going on Teletrade for way under 4k:

04/28/03 $3,300 - the only one I EVER bought & then sold early '04 for $4,000 to one of the top 5 current registry set participants. Yes, I wish I held on to it a little longer image