Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What should the PCGS label colors and types tell me?

I'm hoping that some of you seasoned experts can provide this novice Merc stalker with your thoughts in response to these questions:

I'm curious about the chronology of the different PCGS label colors and styles. I've seen the old "rattler" light greens; a later light green with bar code on the front; a light blue/gray with bar code on the front; a light blue/gray with bar code on the back; and a yellow with bar code on the front.

Are there others besides the colors and styles I've mentioned?

Do these correspond to different grading "eras" since 1986? If so, during which years were the various labels used?

Have PCGS's "FB" grading criteria changed across these eras (e.g., was it tougher for a coin to get the FB designation during the days of the old green label with the bar code)?

And is there any reason (other than empty marketing hype) for sellers to note "old green holder" as part of their Merc listings as if "OGH" implies a higher quality coin?

I'd be about the last guy on earth to buy the holder rather than the coin. Nevertheless, with digital images being what they often are on Web listings, I'm wondering whether the oldies (holders) are more likely to contain the goodies (coins in the higher end of their grade range).

I'd appreciate any information or thoughts that anyone would care to offer. Thanks!
"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?

Comments