Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do the largest PSA holders hold anything else besides Turkey Red cards?

Does anyone know what other larger cards PSA can encapsulate?

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    None graded so far, but wouldn't the T7 Hamilton King Girls (Turkish Trophies) qualify? Cards are 6"x8".
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    No - they generally will not, as the T3s are of a specific thickness that the holder accomodates. There are some other issues that would technically fit in there - but, given less thickness and other factors, PSA at this point is only putting the T3s in those super large holders....

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Someone has a registry set with 1952 Coke Tips. Aren't those pretty big?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone has a registry set with 1952 Coke Tips. Aren't those pretty big? >>

Koby
    With the coke tips, it's the issue of the thickness and the card having too much freedom to get damaged, I believe. IMO, if they holder it, they are responsible that the item is "protected."

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Koby
    With the coke tips, it's the issue of the thickness and the card having too much freedom to get damaged, I believe. IMO, if they holder it, they are responsible that the item is "protected."

mike >>

That's what I thought too Mike. But on the PSA Registry, there is already a set of Coke Tips registered. In fact the only set won the 2004 registry award for the set. I was just wondering since they could slab the Coke Tips, whether they could accomodate other large cards as well.

By the way, I called and you guys are right. T3s only.
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no idea what a "Coke tip" was either. A quick Google search will reveal and explain what they are much better than I can. I will say, they are cool. I love oddball items like that. Thanks for finding this old thread that mentions them, which in turn piqued my curiosity. The Willie Mays test issue Coke tip is awesome! I'm constantly reminded that as much knowledge that I think that I have of various collectibles, there is still just a massive amount of stuff out there of which I am completely unaware.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

These suckers are over 7 inches long.

I've found that doesn't excite regular card collectors.

Mike
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Mike, several times I have referred to these collectors as STANDARD-SIZED CARD CHALLENGED. These tunnel-visioned types will refuse to acknowledge the merits of the over-sized card. The same scenario occurs with other non-mainstream items, like those little gems, the baseball/ hockey/ football coins. I'm unsure if it traces to an infantile attention span, elementary school maturity or mental capability, or simply poor taste, Be positive, Mike, as it simply means that when it comes to elegant items as those Coca-Cola Playing Tips, you will suffer from far, far less competition for them.

Once the light flickers and finally comes on inside their heads, and they discover their beauty, their merits, and the fascination behind many of the post-war regional / food issues, and what they could have gotten for peanuts had they seriously considered them---a raging tIrade will ensue as they stand in front of their bathroom mirror---WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SO STUPID!!!!!

Anyways, thanks for sharing your bounty of TIPS. I tip my hat off to you, sir.

Have a swell evening. ----Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Here is a milk carton below. The 1981 squirt Panels with the header are too large, but the 1982s are ok. The header is slightly smaller.

I've tried to send in the large Marketcom football and they were rejected due to size.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did an image search, and thought I'd share the Mays Coke Tips test issue.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2017 10:28PM

There was a big find of the regular issue in about 2003, which probably accounts for a lot of the supply.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

I have an '86 Topps Big (or whatever) Hershiser. Not sure the size....

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@IndianaJones said:

@Stone193 said:

Mike, several times I have referred to these collectors as STANDARD-SIZED CARD CHALLENGED. These tunnel-visioned types will refuse to acknowledge the merits of the over-sized card. The same scenario occurs with other non-mainstream items, like those little gems, the baseball/ hockey/ football coins. I'm unsure if it traces to an infantile attention span, elementary school maturity or mental capability, or simply poor taste, Be positive, Mike, as it simply means that when it comes to elegant items as those Coca-Cola Playing Tips, you will suffer from far, far less competition for them.

Once the light flickers and finally comes on inside their heads, and they discover their beauty, their merits, and the fascination behind many of the post-war regional / food issues, and what they could have gotten for peanuts had they seriously considered them---a raging tIrade will ensue as they stand in front of their bathroom mirror---WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SO STUPID!!!!!

Anyways, thanks for sharing your bounty of TIPS. I tip my hat off to you, sir.

Have a swell evening. ----Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

what he said

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Thank you, lawyer05. With the new PSA chat forum format, I cannot edit my posts, for clarity or the chance I regret expressing what I did and then wish to blunt or soften it, but I do wish to say that I meant:

"Be positive, Mike, as it simply means that when it comes to elegant items as those Coca-Cola Playing Tips, you will (usually not have to suffer from intense) competition for them."

Assuming you are indeed a lawyer, I'm not the least bit surprised you agreed with me. It seems to require an above average level of intelligence and deeper thinking to become nuts about the post-war regional / food issues. Of course, some of them are already intensely wanted. If pre-war, think 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth or T-3s. Just recently, I saw on the Four Sharp Corners site a 1961 Post Cereal send away company card of Mickey Mantle, graded PSA 9 MINT. Their asking price for this beautiful POP 3 is $4,499.99, so the niche of the post-war regional / food has already spiked several notches.

If you'd like to read the press release about a recently-released book on the regional/food, Google the title,

Never Cheaper By the Dozen.

Some unknown guy in the hobby by the name of Brian Powell wrote it. I bought it. It's an E-book on a CD, and easy to read on my computer screen. I just slip it into the disk drive of my hardtop, and find it on "This PC" icon, and away I go. It's a whopping 478-page book. I thoroughly love it, but I suppose since I'm the author, I would.

I will say this, though. The collectors who've bought it seem to really enjoy it. Lots of bang stories and information for the buck.

Please don't infer I was just trying to use you, sir. IF you do relish the regionals, this book is not to be ignored. Remember not to wave off the dessert cart! There is a correlation with that last remark, but you'd have to buy the book and read it to fully understand!

Have a good one, my fellow collecting warrior. ----Indiana Jones (Brian Powell