Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Re: Stolen Coins

Hello,

There has been an assertion that a client was followed from our store. In our 40 years of doing business, we have no indication of this ever happening. We are located in one of the safest, most crime free areas of the South Bay, and have regular Police patrols of our location. The customer whose car was broken into told us that he left his wallet and coins on the seat of his car and parked it in an unattended lot while he saw his doctor. We sympathize with our client for the loss of his coins and hope that the coins and perpetrators are found quickly, but it does not seem to us that he was followed from our store, but this was instead a crime of opportunity. We urge everyone to use common sense when traveling with coins or other valuables, and keep them out of sight.

If you are in the neighborhood, please feel free to stop in and check us out!

Regards,

Liberty Coin Galleries
2201 E Willow St #AA
Signal Hill, CA 90755
(800) 400-0824
come visit our website at www.libcoin.com

Comments

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seemed to recall that back in 1965 (40 years ago), there was a Liberty Coin shop located on South Street in North Long Beachimage
  • Options
    You are correct. We left that location when it started going "down hill". Our current location in Signal Hill is much better, in my opinion.

Regards
    come visit our website at www.libcoin.com
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "The customer whose car was broken into told us that he left his wallet and coins on the seat of his car and parked it in an unattended lot while he saw his doctor. "

I hope the doctor can cure his stupidity.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I have been to Liberty coins a thousand times....
    great store,and great people...
    Everyone who attends the Long Beach Shows,should visit the gang during their stay..
    One of the most beautiful coin shops in the country,
    Larry

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Been there once myself, wish I lived closer....no, actually wish they would more closer to me.
    Very nice shop, found it surprising that they are in a shopping center, but felt very comfortable in the store & walking the short distance to the car.

but it does not seem to us that he was followed from our store, but this was instead a crime of opportunity.

Even if he was followed, it seemed to me to be a "crime of opportunity" as he himself stated he was carrying a large bag marked with a logo telling everyone there were rare coins in the bag!

Question to Craig (we all know who the client is), if what Liberty is saying true, why the story of 3 Hispanics, and a Mazda w/o a license? image
    Not questioning what you said, just trying to make sense of the 2 stories.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I guess this is the answer to my question about how a board member was approached in a "robbery".

Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    ttt
  • Options
    FrickFrick Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    Setting the record straight. I'm not trying to cast aspersions on Liberty Coin or it's staff. I have been a customer for years and have been
    treated well. Unfortunately, I think they are in denial. They know the REAL story and they make me sound like an irresponsible person.
    Don't make it sound like I was away from my vehicle for an extended period of time. You know the truth!!!!
    I left their store and went to the doctors office and left the coins in the front floorboard of my car. I didn't take them inside because
    I was an hour early to my appointment and just went inside to use the restroom and didn't want to hold 3 bags of heavy coins while doing
    so. My car was parked with the alarm set about 30 feet from the front door of the doctors office. I went inside and returned about 2 minutes later and the crime took place during that time. The thieves, drove right up to my car within seconds of me parking it, apparently
    as I was entering the front door of the Dr's office (one witness said she saw these guys drive in as I walked through the parking lot)
    exited their car, walked up and smashed my window, taking my coins. They didn't break into any other cars or even look into any other
    cars, just mine but Liberty coin asserts that this was a "random" theft. This was done at 2:15 in the afternoon in front of no less than 6 witnesses. The crooks even waved at the witnesses as they did it. They had no fear, they knew what they wanted. It wouldn't have
    mattered where the coins were in the car (GMC Yukon) If I had a trunk however, I might have locked them inside. I'm just glad that I didn't take them in with me or I would probably have either been robbed as I returned to the parking lot or worse, had I gone straight home, it would likely have turned into a home invasion robbery potentially resulting in my death.
    Craig Frick....

I don't want a war with Liberty Coins. I don't blame them for the theft. Stuff happens. I would still shop there. This may have been
    a one time thing for these guys. The only reason their name came up in my posts was that several people who live here in the So Cal area pm'd or emailed me because they were concerned.
    By the way, if anyone would like to see the police report which supports my claim or would like to talk to the Detective handling
    the case who stated I WAS FOLLOWED, let me know.
    And Steve27, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it make sense that the perps had those coins presold.

You bet your sweet bippee.
    JMHO from listening to too many conversations at the dinner table in the 60's and 70's from my POP. A former sherriff

A) They probably had them presold to whomever tipped them to you Craig.

Or

B) they were the worlds luckiest thieves. One or the other.
    Have a nice day