Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT-Another NEW Scam Alert

I received an email this morning, purportedly sent by eBay with a header that read:

"eBay Outbid Notice: NIP NIKE Golf Tiger Woods Driven Poster (Item #4523317189)

You Have Been Outbid

Dear member,
You are no longer the high bidder on the following eBay item:

NIP NIKE Golf Tiger Woods "Driven" Poster- $8.50 Ship - Item #4523317189
Current price: US $6.00

Your maximum bid: $5.99

End date: Apr-28-05 13:44:32 PST

Don't let this get away!

View the item you're bidding on: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4523317189&ssPageName=ADME:XimageN:US:2

Helpful Links
Bid history - View all bidding activity on this item
My eBay - Track your buying and selling activity
Discussion boards - Get help from other eBay members
eBay Help - Find answers to your questions
Learn more: Don't get outbid again! Let eBay bid on your behalf with proxy bidding

Trading guidelines
If you are contacted about buying a similar item outside of eBay, please do not respond. Off-eBay transactions are against eBay policy; they are not covered by eBay services such as feedback, the buyer protection program, and dispute resolution.

eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in an email. Learn how to protect your account.

Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/

This eBay notice was sent to you based on your eBay account preferences. To unsubscribe from this eBay notice, click here. If you would like to receive this email in text only, click here.

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © 2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc."

OF COURSE, I HAD NOT BID ON THIS ITEM, BUT IF I CLICKED ON THE LINK TO "VIEW THE ITEM", IT ASKED ME FOR MY USER NAME AND PASSWORD, WEHICH OF COURSE, I DIDN"T ENTER. When I went into my eBay account and did a search on the item number, there was no such auction. IT IS GETTING VERY SCARY OUT THERE ON THE BAY OF E!!!!!!! BEWARE!!!!!

danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."

Comments

• Options
    hate the @#$%^&* scammers - they get more and more brazen and creative every day!

thanks for the heads-up!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    This scam is not a concern to veteran users of ebay, but may snare some newbies. Now if they were to send an outbid notice on an item I am bidding on, that would be alarming.

Thanks for the information on this newest approach.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the warning, Dan image

I wonder how much money the scammers have made over the years using these kind of tactics.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    ttt
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I don't do anything on eBay w/o using the "My eBay" section to do it. If I am bidding on an item I will mark it as watched first, then to check it I'll go to "My eBay." That said, it is amazing to see what these scammers will try. Scammers, spammers and info harverters should be shot when found! Just think of what these people could achieve if they were to work as hard towards a noble goal as they do to commit fraud.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I don't do anything on eBay w/o using the "My eBay" section to do it. If I am bidding on an item I will mark it as watched first, then to check it I'll go to "My eBay." >>

Well said Michael! If everybody followed that procedure, these scam artists would be out of business in a hurry image
    danglen

My Website