Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

$6.00 admission Westchester County, NY card show in May

Last march card show a dealer told me that they're changing promoter because Rothstein's fee is expensive. Told him that entrance is about $10 and $12 for nat'l east cast show. This is one of the reason why few people go.

Anybody from Westchester County, NY just found out they indeed changed promoter. May 13-15 Westchester County, NY card show

parking is still $4. oh well just try to park at compusa again.

I hope the old couple who sell cheap penny sleeves, team bags and boxes are still there.

RIP Snow

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Snowball, that's Jim Ryan who took over that show from Rothstein. He told me that reducing the admission was just one of the things he was going to do to turn that show around. It has really gotten bad over the last year or so, but I hope things improve. He will have the "East Coast National" there in August, I believe.
  • Options
    That show has been in steep decline of 2-3 years now. Management was just 1 of the issues. I do hope it turns around though. I used to make the trip from L.I. religously to attend. When admission went to $10, I said forget it. Aside from the admission fee, they need to attract more dealers. It came down to the same dealers, with the same cards, sitting at the same tables show to show. The show needs a fresh infusion of product and it also needs to advertise more aggressively. I really hope the new management can turn this show around.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Autograph guests:

Tex Clevenger
    Johnny Kucks

Huh?????

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Autograph guests:

Tex Clevenger
    Johnny Kucks

Huh????? >>

Anyone who is going would care to get my Clevenger and Kucks cards autographed? I will pay all fees plus the $10 entry fee.

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    What am i missing? Who are they?

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Frank is right on the money - the show was getting stale, and the dealers that set up there brought the same old cards, nothing of interest. I was also told that they were going to get "bigger" name autograph guests as they went on (not my thing anyway). I also hope this works, or else I'll have to be content with the Fort 4 times a year only.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What am i missing? Who are they? >>

Two pitchers from the late 50's and early 60's.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I assume that is a joke then??? I know alot about baseball history and never heard of either of them.

• Options
    For a while they were getting some decent names to sign for free or for $10. P. Rizzuto was the last free sig I remember. He signed over 700 items that day. O. Cepeda was there recently signing for $10- $12. Between minor baseballstars/retired players, football players and pro wrestlers (don't laugh), this show should be able to come up with 2 different signers.
    I would even suggest some type of co-marketing with a local team (Yankees, Knicks, Mets, Giants), minor league team or even the WWE and it's wrestlers/performers.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Johnny Kucks threw a complete game shutout in the 56 world series for the yankees over the dodgers. had 1 or 2 decent years for them. Finally he wound up in KC.

as for Tex i do not know enough about him to share any info.

i do not think it was a joke, but i agree the show needs some stronger names. I have not been to the WC show in 16 years. Got many of my 52 Bowmans from that show though. Also picked up a Snider rookie there. Bought as an EX condition raw and it graded out as PSA 5image

Paid 100.00 for it back then I think
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice card Steve!
    I have been back in San Antonio for 8 years this summer and have never been to a local show. On is held at the convention center and they wanted like 5 bucks admission. That's a lot of dough to enter the doors of a local show IMO. Charge the dealers a few more bucks and in the long run, they will probably make out better by increased traffic.

Snowball
    Good luck at the show and let us know how it goes? It doesn't hurt to see fresh blood on the promoter side of the house.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    The last WC show I went to I got a Carlton autograph. Nice guy.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The last WC show I went to I got a Carlton autograph. Nice guy. >>

What was the fee?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I live right in White Plains where the WC show takes place and I don't even bother to go. ZZZZZZZZ. They gotta do something.

• Options
    In chicago entry is $10/day and parking is $11 i think it was. But yea, the auto guests are pretty good, but then again i'm not paying anyone 50-300 bucks for a scribble. plus they all sell out and your stuck waiting for your numbers, then the line, all for 10 seconds with the player if your lucky. I'm amazed at the people that do it though. Just not my bag...

GG
  • Options
    Triumph Sports does a couple of NJ shows, but I dont see paying 20.00 per person to get in the door and than 100.00-300.00 for an autograph. Sure the autograph guests are great, but it isnt or never will be my thing. So if I want to go and look around the tables for some neat stuff, I have to pay 80.00 to take my family to walk around and probably leave with nothing. Tell you the truth, I wouldnt pay 20.00 to get in the door even if Mickey Mantle was signing......