Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fake coin on Ebay auction?

This is a pretty funny auction from a seller in China.

The front shows a Panamanian coin dated 1904 (I am thinking its a 5 Centesimos), but the back shows a German 5 Mark dated 1903.

But when the seller states "Artisan carved it with deft hands", that is funny image

Comments

• Options
    Ya, these are a pretty normal affair... As a Chinese coin collector I have seen tons of them.

HG
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I have bought only one coin from China. I was sent the wrong coin with the wrong date and the coin was whizzed to death. I returned it - at least I got my money back. All I lost was my time (which is loss enough).

There are too many fakes coming from that region to merit any risk of money or shipping charges.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The funny part of the auction is the "GBP 17.00" for shipping (which does not include insurance).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    That's shipping for UK only Steve, I'm scared to ask about the rest of the world. Bidders ID kept private, feedback private, joined ebay on the 21rst of April 2005. Recommended seller. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    He's right about one thing, it is rare. image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I would never buy any coin online from China!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I regularly buy from a certain Chinese seller on Ebay. No problems - his coins are genuine and usually cheap because many people are afraid to bid on them image The seller discussed in this particular thread is probably the same as the one who was NARU'ed a couple of months ago for offering nothing but these fake, but rather amusing "mules".

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    Definetly "Made in China", with the low labor rates there, I'm sure some more creative numismatic items will avail themselves..image