Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Toploaders Are the Way to Go!!

Ne1 else think that toploaders are the best storage for cards, even high end ones. They seem to me to keep the cards in the best condition cuz in almost any screw in the card still has a way to be damaged, messed up, and can move around. Screw downs still look cool though.....but Ultra Pro One Touch are even better.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    PSA slabs are better
    Good for you.
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    PSA and SGC slabs are the best.. (especially SGC for the odd cut cards since they cut the black insert to fit nice around whatever card rather than have the card bounce around inside the slab)

I like penny sleeves and top loaders better than card savers however I hate putting cards into penny sleeves it's always such a pain trying to slip them in without damaging the corners.
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Does anybody still use screw-down holders?

Duh, I forgot ... some of the back-alley "grading" services do.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    For all of my own cards...all my commons are put in penny sleeves...stars are in sleeves and semi-rigids. To remedy the problem with cards getting dinged by putting them in penny sleeves, just cut each side about 1/8 inch so the cards slide right in and the corners never get touched.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    The only penny sleeves I use are the 2 5/8 x 3 5/8 from BCW - which are a tad bigger than the ultra pro sleeves which are 1/4 smaller. Also, I switched all my cards over to the card saver 2's - because it's easy for cards to fall out the top of top loaders (if you drop them). That happened to me, where I dropped several top loaders and the cards slipped out the top and were damaged. Once a card is in a semi-rigid holder (eg. card saver 2's), it won't move again.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Good idea Barry.. Why didn't I think of that..

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    What I do when inserting cards in penny sleeves is take a pen and insert it in the penny sleeve. I then pull it tight to one side of the sleeve. What this does is it stretches the sleeve open just a little bit and when you insert the card it goes right in with no corner damage at all.

Matt
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this holder in a junk box for like 15 years or so.

I contacted ASA today to enquire whether they still sell holders and the message was "returned to sender" and the same for the coin grading portion. For those who don't know ASA - Alan Hager, founder, is kind of the "Godfather" of grading in the sense that he created and patented the arrowhead holder and the 10 point grading system which PSA uses. He let the rights to the patent lapse if memory serves.

This would be a great holder to custom create your own flips and house the more valuable cards that one really doesn't desire to have a card graded. And, for those who don't want to take the chance sending them to a 3rd tier crap company just to holder the card with no grade.

This is far superior to toploaders, snap-tites or screw downs IMO.
    mike
    Mike
  • old fashioned shoe box. No sleeves, top loaders, card savers or 9 pockets(unless I complete the set) and stored away till sold.

j/k. Sleeves and top loaders is what I use for high end cards. Some of the thicker jersey cards I just put in sleeves. Commons go in boxes(5,000 ct.)for storage till needed/sold.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Stone- is the holder the size of post 57' or is it the larger vintage cards like the 52 mantle pictured?

I bet you could list it on ebay and get $20 from a scammer lol. I think the one Mantle that is being sold as the one from the court case is in one of those cases.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

I think someone made good use of one of these cases.
  • The only thing I hate about the toploaders is that you have some people who do not take their time when putting the cards in them. I don't know how many cards I have received in the mail that has been damage this way.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anybody still use screw-down holders?

Duh, I forgot ... some of the back-alley "grading" services do. >>

I use them for my Atomic Prism Patch Variation set. The cards are way too think for penny sleeves or grading and the look great in the screwdowns.

Tabe
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allen
    The one I got from Hager is for a standard card but I'll bet he also sold the pre-57 holders also.

mike
    Mike
  • Frankly I prefer just stacking everything and using rubberbands...

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    I have about 20 of those Hagar holders. I actually drove to his house in Winstead CT one day to pick them up? This of course was 1993 or so. He had just about every size holder on the planet. I also contacted him about 3 years ago to see if they still sold them and got the big no. I wish someone would come out with a 4 srew holder or snap tight like these!I prefer the scre type only because I have damaged cards trying to pry the snap or magnet appart. I think you are more in control with the srew driver.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Greg is right about the slightly larger penny sleeves - they work better. But, I tend to use the "stretch" method mentioned earlier with the Ultra Pro sleeves...and, if a valuable card is not in a PSA slab, I keep them in semi-rigid's (except for the occasional modern thick card, which goes in a snap-tight holder).