Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bust experts...went to an auction today, please...

tell me I did good.

Don't know anthing about the series, other then I likem.

Any input on grade and price for the following would be greatly appreciated.

Herb
Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
imageimageimage

Comments

• nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Nice (Decent ) Strike on the 1814 - AU53
    1822 - XF45-AU50

You picked up some nice BH's today. Not knowing what you paid i would still say you had a VERY GOOD DAY!image
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    The 1814 looks AU55/53, the 1822 is a 45
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    These coins were given to an elderly lady by her Uncle who was 100+ years old when he died.

The lady was at the auction, the story is she brought the coins into the shop in a sock, Bust , Morgans and a bunch of gold.

Yes, it was a good day and like most auctions I go to, I spend a little more then I intened.

Always two bidiots.........and I usually end up being one of them..image

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    1814 O-104A R2 might go PCGS AU50, then worth about $350. If only XF45 with PCGS worth about $175.

1822 O-112 R4, lucky you. Might go PCGS XF40, then worth around $250.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

<< <i>1814 O-104A R2 might go PCGS AU50, then worth about $350. If only XF45 with PCGS worth about $175.

1822 O-112 R4, lucky you. Might go PCGS XF40, then worth around $250. >>

O-104A & O-112 in English please...image, I have no idea what that means.

BTW....the 5 BH's I bought (all 5 are shown in 3 threads) the average price is $260.

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1814 O-104A R2 might go PCGS AU50, then worth about $350. If only XF45 with PCGS worth about $175.

1822 O-112 R4, lucky you. Might go PCGS XF40, then worth around $250. >>

O-104A & O-112 in English please...image, I have no idea what that means.

BTW....the 5 BH's I bought (all 5 are shown in 3 threads) the average price is $260.

Herb >>

Those are the Overton numbers. That is a manner of specifying which obverse dies were struck with which reverse dies. Some of these are common (r1, r2, r3) some not so common (r4, r5), they go higher and get really valuable/expensive. At any rate, knowing the Overton number of your bust half makes you sound smarter (or more geekey).
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    xf??? some of you must be nuts!

the coin's a slider unc. a plastic co. might even call it new.

i'd guess it's value as $350 - $450

K S
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with dorkkarl. The 1814 coin is more like what PCGS calls AU55-58; it is worth more than $300, even uncertified. The 1822 is a PCGS AU-50 candidate, but I am concerned about the green stuff above Liberty's cap, which might cause it to be labeled "environmental damage."
    << but I am concerned about the green stuff above Liberty's cap, which might cause it to be labeled "environmental damage." >>

No damage that I can see, blue toning.

The 1831 BH I posted in my other thread has some green going on in the eye.

Herb
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file