Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So Cds-nuts busted the 76 packs, what are some views on the set?

76 was my birth year, and there are some 2nd year cards of Hof'ers. Also, I just saw a Willie Randolph rookie, had never seen one before. How does this stack up as far as price, and star quality to say 75 or 77? Also, how do you like the design of the card? I personally do like it.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    75 is much better and has 3 good rookies along with a valueable Ryan. I think 1975 is a sweet looking set with all the colors.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I hear you on the colored borders, plus the rookies. I never really liked the multi-colored borders until I came to this board. It has given me new respect for the 75's! No rookie selection really squashes the 76's huh?
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    My favorite set of the 70's for sentimental reasons....It's the third year I collected cards and the first set that I collected in a serious way (for an 8-year old anyway). It's chock full of HOF'ers and stars. No huge rookies besides Eck. I'm working on a mint set that is a combo of graded and raw (to be graded) and find several cards to be particularly tough to find well-centered. The Brett card is a real pain in particular!

-Todd-
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i collect the 76 set.. i have a very weak PSA registry set that im putting together very slowly.. i just pick 'em up cheap when i find them.. i have alot of raw stuff too..

why do i collect it? just because it's they year of my birth..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I too was born in 1976... but have no interest in collecting cards from that set. It is a nice looking set as far as appearance.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Also born in 76 and I do like the design- very steriotypically 70s, moreso than any other baseball set I think. The lack of RCs disturbs me, but if I was a set collector I'd go for it. Since I'm predominantly a rookie and other "important" card collector, I'd pick up the Eck, Brett, Yount, and Aaron and call it a day.

Lee
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the '76s. I'm working on getting all the All-Time All-Stars in PSA 8 or greater at the moment. This is a subset that I collected as a kid ("Wow, a Ty Cobb card I can afford!!!!") and now I'm trying to get it in respectable condition image So at least that part of the '76 set will also hold a special place in my heart. Ditto the '79 All-Time Records subset, for the very same reason.

Tabe
  • Options
    Heh, that reminds me of when I collected all the Topps All Star Rookies with the gold cup on it when I was a kid. They did them in 75-78, but for some reason stopped until 1987. I always thought they were cool. Maybe I should pick them all up agian.

Lee
  • Options
    CD nuts,
    I believe they did that in 94. don't know about other years.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1976 Topps set rocks! Where else are you going to find a card like this:

1976 Topps

Also, I always thought this was a sweet card:

1976 Schmidt

And this one:

1976 Willie

Finally, I've always been a fan of the 660 card sets (one series, no double prints) of the mid-1970's. Those sets always told the story of the year before, with the league leader cards, the record breaker cards, "stars" on the all-star starters from the year before, team cards with team checklists on the back, and so on
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    All you guys born in 1976 are making me feel old...I was born in 1969...I remember buying those packs as a kid!
  • Options
    Don't feel old yankeeno7 I was born in '69 as well! image
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I was a rookie in 1965. In 1976, I was actually old enough to walk to the corner store and buy the packs.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I was 10 years old in 76, started buying packs in 74, but I like the 76, nice big picture and simple design. Plus one of my favorite cards is in this set. Doesn't he look like such a bad @$$ with the dust all around.

Stingray

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    The 1976 set came out four years before I bought my first pack of cards. When my older brother went off to law school in the eighties, he gave me a bunch of sets. 1976 was the oldest, and it is the absolute turd of the bunch. The best cards in the set would be PSA 5s.
    I never really liked the set until relatively recently when I put it in a binder for his sons to see. A few of the cards really jumped out at me. Winfield #160, Bench #300 and Palmer #450 are great action shots. There are also great portrait-type shots including Rose #240, Ryan #330, Jackson #500, Aaron #550 (last card w/ career stats), and Munson #650. I have scans of them in my set. .Tombstones
    Also, the Record Breaker cards at the beginning and the League Leader cards make up for the gawdawful four-player rookie cards.
    I am slowly building the set in PSA 8. I am not a condition nut. I think an 8 is a great looking card. If I put a stack of them in a 660-count box and see the straight edges and sharp corners lined up, I can almost smell the bubble gum. My set will never be number one, but it will be one darn nice set to me. I don't care how much money my wife gets for it after my funeral. That's what life insurance and IRAs are for.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Wasn't Archie Stanton the name of the grave that the gold was buried next to in "The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly"?

Lee
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't Archie Stanton the name of the grave that the gold was buried next to in "The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly"? >>

That is where the name came from...another long boring story.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection