Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Today I learned the meaning of DNC- Whaaaaa!

It's just a coin story probably like many of my fellow collectors. Submitted 7 Lincoln crossovers. Only one
coin crossed. Was hoping for 3 or better. I must improve my grading skills. Thanks for listening because
none of my family or friends understand.image
Bye the way, this submission entered the PCGS system on 3-17-05. Results on 4-26-05.

RegistryNut

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was hoping for 3 or better. I must improve my grading skills. Thanks for listening because
    none of my family or friends understand.image
    RegistryNut >>

I do understand...Family and Friends are the same over here too!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Care to post the results?
    Heck I did 20 coins recently, 5 DNC, that was egual to about $2000 down the tubes, let alone frustartion. Look hard at them and the reason for not crossing. You may want to retry even though it cost more money.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaterSport- If you went 15 for 20 on a crossover submission then I would say you did damn good! Thats a very high batting average IMO.
  • Options
    WaterSport,

Here's my 7 Lincoln's I tried to cross.
    1965 MS66 ICG-DNC
    1967 MS66 NGC-DNC
    1971S PR 68 D. C. NGC-DNC
    1972 MS67 ICG-DNC
    1972S MS66 NGC-DNC
    1979 MS67 NGC-DNC
    1993 MS67 NGC-My only crossover!

I actually liked my chances on all coins. But ya know what? Sun is gonna rise tomorrow anyway!
    Thanks for the reply.
    RegistryNut image
  • Options
    I agree with boiler. If I crossed 15 out of 20 I'd be estatic. But 1 out of 7? I'm batting .143! Maybe that's
    not so bad after all. I'd be the Yankees best hitter! image

RegistryNut
  • Options
    Last year i sent in 4 lots of 5 saints each in lower mint state grades 61-64 including the High Relief in MS63, keys 25-s in MS61, 08-s in MS61& 29 in MS62.Nineteen out of twenty NGC coins crossed. A 10-s in MS63 DNC all the others did. Hows that for luck!
    GTS
    Saints
  • Options
    I guess I am still wondering why you DNC. Is it because of grade, or cleaning, or ???

My coins have mostly not crossed due to cleaning or questionable color. I have 7 more ready to go in about a week +. You guys are making me feel good as I go for my LAST 7 to finish the registry..

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    WaterSport,

I think I know the reason why my 6 coins DNC. Simply put, I just had a higher opinion of the coins than
    the PCGS graders did. I would think this is quite common. Like I stated earlier, I must improve on my
    grading skills. If one submits sub par coins you get results like 1 out of 7.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    GTS,

19 out of 20? Probably not too many members can top that %. image

RegistryNut
  • Options
    I tend to be conservative in my grading and set a minimum standard (MS 63 R&B) of what I collect. Of those 20 coins, several were red, MS 65, or MS 64 R&B. But I list ONE minimum grade for all. That way, they will at least cross most of them, and those they do not, I sell off. Trying to out guess PCGS is not wise. It does take skill, something I do not have. But like you, I can learn.

WS
  • Options
    WS,

There is a new Lincoln registry set called Water Sports Finishing Touch. Could this set be yours? image

RegistryNut
  • Options
    Yep....I had it as just Finishing Touch. I also renamed Gonfunkos collection of Wheats which is my sons sig line to my sig line of Water Sports Collection of Wheats even though one day it will be his.

WS
  • Options
    Yeah i can't complain about 19 out of 20 but they were all NGC's no ACG's or the likes.But another time i was thrilled to complete a peace dollar Registry set in 64 and had to cross a 1928-s and a 26 went 1 for2 on that one.
    GTS