Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Consignment to Mastro, MemoryLane, etc

Anyone with experience submitting as consignment their high end cards or sets to more than one auction house
(not to be confused with ebay) please comment / compare services, fees, overall experience.
I.e. Mastro, Memory Lane, Rotman, etc

Thanks
ebay:1967topps
1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff

Comments

• Options
    I would really like to tag along on this one...any help or advice on best service and outcome would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave C.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I've consigned to almost all the major auction houses at one time or another, and have had overall mixed experiences [from each].

Without naming names, here are some general thoughts:

At some of the smaller auction houses, you have more negotiating power over consignment fees for premium cards.

At some of the bigger auction houses, you have much more of an 'X-factor'. I've had cards sell for less than they would on Ebay, and I've had memorabilia sell for 2-3x more than I hoped.

Mastro has been really good lately at shipping items promptly and getting consignment checks out.

With a place like Mastro - be careful about which auction you consign to. Cards sometimes get lost in the premium auction, but the collector's classic auction does not have as many active pariticipants. Also - with any of the bigger auction houses, try to ensure that your card is the only one of its kind being auctioned. I've never had this happen to me, but I've seen big auctions have more than one example of a major star card in PSA 9 or PSA 10 in the auction. I can't imagien this ever ends up being good for the consigners.

With memorabilia - some auction houses are more liberal and/or have different criteria for selling certain items. I've had at least one bat refused by one auction house but happily accepted by another [incidentally the one that sold me the item in the first place]....

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.