Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bass Collection: What's really scary?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's what's really scary about the Bass Collection of gold coins. Not only did have have everything (including the unique 70-S $3) he had multiples of many coins, including hoards of finest knowns. He was a keen student of the coins and was very interested in varieties.

I was doing some research on 41-O $10's, a significant rarity in the New Orleans Liberty $10 series. There are about 50-60 known--he had three. For comparison purposes, the next date in the series, the 42-O $10, he had ten specimens of the 125-150 known. He had multiples. Scary.

Comments

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting anything by die variety can be challenging enough.....but gold.....unbelievable.

If you have the Bass catalogs, you should also get the Akers book on gold patterns, it's a great companion.
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Imagine what Bill Gates could do? That would be so awesome, Complete set of US coins, in the highest grade and by variety by highetst grade. Then do the second finest just for kicks. Actually I don't think even Gates could do that....
  • F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    I think him and his $41.5 Billion could do that
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the Bass catalogs, you should also get the Akers book on gold patterns, it's a great companion.

Thanks, Len. I do have it--courtesy of the best giveaway here ever from Mr. Eureka.

Imagine what Bill Gates could do?

Certainly money helps, but luck/timing are also important. If the owners of the finest coins are young and do not want to give them up, Bill Gates cannot get to them. Similarly, the 70-S $3 is impounded in a museum. Bill Gates probably cannot do anything about that.
  • Maybe he would just buy the museum also, then he would
    own it also
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    For the coins mentioned, did he have multiples because they were varieities? Also, how recognized are those varieities?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think him and his $41.5 Billion could do that

Nope. All his money still couldn't create the necessary OPPORTUNITY to complete that set in that manner.
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Harry had the potential to complete the US series. Browning also had that potential and would have but he died at a very young age. Gates can do it, if he wished.

The key is patience. It may take 25 or 50 years, but it can be done. The opportunity should present itself, if not from the current owner, then their estate.

We are all just custodians. Virtually nothing will be buried with us. It may be in a museum. It may be in a trust. Eventually, almost everything will become available.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually, almost everything will become available.

Spoken like a true master of the art. No but kissing intended.
    Have a nice day
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually, almost everything will become available.

Almost being the operative word. I doubt that the 1849 $20 will see the light of day in my lifetime, as an example.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>I doubt that the 1849 $20 will see the light of day in my lifetime, as an example. >>

Whay do you say that? A lot of interesting things have come out of hiding n the past few years, the 1849 double eagle could show up tomorrow.

<< <i>Similarly, the 70-S $3 is impounded in a museum. Bill Gates probably cannot do anything about that. >>

Unless there is some legal reason they aren't allowed to (and there very well may be), I should think the Harry Bass foundation would sell this coin for a price. Gates could give 'em ten million or so and they could negotiate with the city of San Francisco for preemptory rights on the one ostensibly in the cornerstone image

However, I do think there are certain coins that are not for sale at ANY price, even with Bill Gates dough. Those you have to wait for.
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think him and his $41.5 Billion could do that

Nope. All his money still couldn't create the necessary OPPORTUNITY to complete that set in that manner. >>

I think I disagree. Maybe he'll never be able to buy the 33 saint for seven million, but I think if he threw out a 20 or 30 million dollar offer, he'd own it. Ditto with other unique coins(and i guess technically, the 33 isn't actually unique, but it's the same premise.) I'm sure museums would start parting with coins for ridiculous sums of money.

Couldn't you picture yourself getting rid of one of your special trade dollars for 20 times what you paid for it. (or 20 times what you might suspect it would auctions for?)

Granted, Gates would have to be crazy to do such a thing, but in our hypothetical example world, IF he chose to, I believe he has the cash to create opportunity. A Billion Dollars (enough to buy one thousand million dollar coins)certainly does a lot of talking.
    Right, but understand a lot of these coins are already held by billionaires (or at least hundred millionaires). If Gates starts paying stupid money, the price goes up really quick and everyone finds out about it. And these guys DON'T need the money. Everyone would be holding out to be the owner of the LAST coins Gates needed. If you have $40B in the bank, and you need one coin to finish your set, what's it worth? $1B? $2B?

This is why billionaire coin collectors conduct their business VERY quietly image
  • F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Right, but understand a lot of these coins are already held by billionaires (or at least hundred millionaires). If Gates starts paying stupid money, the price goes up really quick and everyone finds out about it. And these guys DON'T need the money. Everyone would be holding out to be the owner of the LAST coins Gates needed. If you have $40B in the bank, and you need one coin to finish your set, what's it worth? $1B? $2B? >>

You forget, Gates doesn't have to do the buying himself. He can hire people to do it for him. This way they don't know who is truly buying it. He certainly isn't dumb.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file