Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Have to sell my Munsons, dang it

Immediate family enlargement means I'm selling off a good portion of my PSA Munson collection. Almost all 8s or 9s, 59 of 'em in one lot. Hate to do it, really, it's taken awhile to amass all of these. Not Ebay spam, just need to vent.

Why do I feel like I'm losing my dog or something? Worth selling 'em, though, for the youngsters...

Doug

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    one lot? you may take a bath. I would break them up no?

edited to add" congrats on the family enlargement!!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    When will you be selling them and what's included? Sorry to hear that you have to sell them, but hopefully the proceeds will be put to good use!
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭
    I almost always start auctions under a dollar, but I'm giving it a shot with the minimum bid at around what I want for the lot, about $2900. If I've got to break it up (so I don't lose $ on it), I will. I'm not in a rush but I wanted to try it this way first.

As far as what's in it, there's a PSA 8 1971 Topps plus 14 "9"s, etc. It's up now...

Doug
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Can you supply a link - I would like to see how well you fare...

Good luck, and congrats to you!
  • Options
    Wow. congrats on the next in line!! Hopefully your auction works out.

GG
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the family and good luck on the cards. Nice looking auction. What's the SMR for the whole lot?
  • Options
    Doog, congrats on the pending baby. Kids are great.

You probably know, I am a big Munson collector too. I doubt if you will get any bites at the $2800 range - not that they are not worth it!! I've seen Munson's get a little soft on the Bay of late, (sans the PSA 8 71 of course).

My best guess is that you'd get in the neighborhood of $1600-$1900 with a .99 opening bid.

Best of luck and I'd be glad to buy a few offline if you dont get any bites. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Steve
    steve
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Good luck on this sale and congrats too. If you decide to break up the lot I would have interest in the 1973 psa 8 or 9 if you have one.
    Email is whitehse@warpnet.net

Thanks
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Doug
    Congratulations on the new family addition RC! On the sale....all my best! Just out of curiosity, what would be the approximate SMR on the lot?

Again good luck
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike and Doog,

SMR on the lot is $2768. This is off a bit, since the 77 and 71 Munson SMR is way out of whack. On the other hand, the market is softer on the PSA 8s for 72 - 76, 78-79....

I still standby my earlier comment. No takers at what is essentially full SMR, but a low starting bid should attract enough buyers to net at least $1500. Heck, the 71 PSA 8 is so scorching that alone will bring 500+.....

A great lot, Doog.

Steve
    steve
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, everybody. We've already got a 2-year-old little girl and we're very excited about the new addition. I'm basically selling these not for diapers, clothes, etc., but to more aggressively save for their future.

Steve, thanks for checking out the SMR, I hadn't looked into that yet. Basically what I'm hoping for is someone who'd like this many Munsons (some of which are tougher to find) without taking all the time and effort. On some of these I've paid over SMR, some under. Haven't decided how I'll sell them if I don't get this minimum bid, but I'm not in a big rush. We'll see!

Doug
  • Options
    Not that anyone can't do whatever they want with your cards, but
    8 1974s and 13 1979s, is that a whole horde of cards or is "hoard" more the word?

Yeah, I agree sell the cards. What are the odds the kids will care about 30-40 year old cards in
    plastic containers?
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I think you will get at least your minimum bid. There's got to be a rich Yankee/Munson collector out there who's willing to fork over that kind of money for this lot. I like your strategy here.

Lee
  • Options
    Any OPC Munson's?
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Now that I see your collection, I have to think you might do better breaking up the lot. I think the person who would want 4 or 6 copies of the same Munson card is more rare, than the collector (or set collector) who might want one or two of them. I would bid on the 77, for example, but not the whole lot. Good luck, regardless!
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    The ebay "going rate" on that lot is currently in the 1200-1400 range. Going rate is based on recent ebay transactions of the cards in the same grades.

Your best bet is to sell them individually, or at least the higher dollar cards such as the 70 and 71. Sure there are Munson collectors out there, but they probably want a run of 1 each of 8s or 9s, or one of each of whatever grade they can find and afford. But they're not going to want several multiples, especialy of the 7 and 8 grades, unless there is a huge discount. And that is good for them and bad for you as you'will end up essentially giving some of the cards away.
  • Options
    Sold the Munson lot, took $2375 for it, in case anyone's interested...

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Doug
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sold the Munson lot, took $2375 for it, in case anyone's interested...
    >>

You may not have done that well in relation to what you paid for the cards, but with your high starting price I think you maximized your selling price with minimizing your work. Well done.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Doug
    All and all, close to your minimum. You can buy a lot of diapers with amount of cash!

All my best
    mike
    Mike