Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The backs of 1950s Topps cards: Were we THAT insensitive?

2»

Comments

• Options
    That is a really nice T-201. Very nice card for $50. Amazing deal.

GG

bigredmachine,

I agree the 2006 heritage will be the cards that get me back into modern. Your last sentance completely brings this point together. YOU are NOT a "racist redneck", I am NOT a "racist redneck" both coming from southern indiana of course. Now my question simply is... do YOU ever feel like your surrounded by "racist rednecks"? I'll answer it first. YES, I DID. Relative to living in Laredo TX, Houston TX, Valparaiso IN, and now the NW suburbs of chicago, Southern Indiana was the place I PERSONALLY felt was the most racist. Maybe I spent 18 years of my life in a different part of southern indiana then you did. Either your missing my point, or your really, really defensive about southern indiana. I'M ONLY speaking from MY life experiences.

My point is simply that racism is still everywhere. Although it is much better, it still isn't gone. Based on my own experiences.

I, like softparade like endgaging in active debate, but this is getting misconstrued or maybe we are still indeed quite sensitive. Now isn't that the original point of this thread?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey - I've got no problem at all with anyone expressing their point of view on history. If you want to experience much worse insults, come down to the local sports bar, even fellow Eagles and Phillies fans/friends get into it pretty good regarding sports. I'm used to it and it's forgotten shortly after being said. Of course the topics in this thread are much more serious, but as long as the endgame is moving forward towards racial equality and harmony, any opinions expressed on the historical aspect of it is fine with me. It seems none of us here is going to change their opinion of Civil War history so I'm gonna leave it at that for this thread.

Steve
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

OK, here is my two cents on the issue here.

Backs of cards - there may be a very simple explanation and it may be pure economics. Many of you are very knowledgable when it comes to the printing process used in card production. In a former life I spent 14 years in the printing industry.

The front of cards are obviously produced using 4 color process, maybe six(?). Four different colors are laid down, one dot over another in varying densities to create different colors and shades of color.

The other process is solid (or halftone) printing, which does not produce as many colors or shades of color. Basically you can print only one color in one spot, with varying density, but this does not change the color. Is it possible that the backs are not printed in 4 color process? This would limit the number of colors that can be laid down in one pass through the printing press.

In the 80's Ron Gant example I count six colors. The press probably has only six color units. So basically a choice has to be made to print certain colors and leave others out.

Also, remember that these cards are produced in sheets. If I am correct and we hypothetically wanted to print all of the different ethnicities and races with correct skin color on the back, we would have to print them on their own sheets.

You can draw your own opinions about the non-PC comments on some vintage cards.

Have the card companies carried an easy economic decision into today's world? Probably.
    Have they considered the implications? Probably.
    But, if we printed like skin colors on one sheet, what are we doing, and how would this affect collation?

Sometimes it's just a money thing.

Keith
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thank you for understanding my point. I agree now that my wording could have been a bit better. I agree completely with your points. The meth lab one was pretty good since the week we moved out a couple years ago a meth lab was busted on a guys front porch in downtown New Albany, so that was pretty funny. Just to clarify, I also personally have friends of all backgrounds of course. My best friends father is black, my sister in laws husband is half mexican, and another very close friend is half vietnemese. I'm of course 7% indian, with the rest german and french most likely. So in short, i'm a mutt like most of us. Funny thing is, since I've moved to chicago its amazing how little I hear on a personal level about racist jokes and the such. It is a nice relief, its just so ignorant when you hear the stupid jokes all the time.

glad to get cleared up on this dabigredmachine, I really didn't intend to get things to this point.

have a good one! going to the Cubs/Reds game today at 1PM!! SWEET!!! I'll be the one with the KKK outfit in the bleachers. J/K!!!!!

GG
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Go Reds!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GG
    Not tryin to steal thunder, but I was the one that commented on the vintage guys and the 57 set attraction - over two years now at CU, I have seen solely vintage guys jump in and do a Heritage set and expect - if the design is truly sharp - to see a mess more in 06.

Mac
    Very nice Baker card! And the Banks is a great 6! IMO, there is nothing nice than a center 6 for eye appeal and value! And, thanx for the kind words - and I do think that the younger collectors (in the 20s+) should consider collecting pre-war since if appreciation is what one is looking for - that's where I see scarcity and quality - now some think that this will be a dying cause - when the boomers die - so goes 19th and early 20th century baseball - I disagree - there will always be a collector group who find the scarcity and beauty of the early litho style cards appealing and more than worth collecting.

You guys have a good day and I, for one, respect all of your opinions - as long as we don't name call.

Some one picked on Winpitcher - Steve is a good guy - but expresses himself in short sentences and may have been misinterpreted. What he was trying to say about the backs of cards was - how can one print a black face and black outfit and still see the person - or draw a cartoon in black face without making the face appear like a demeaning caricature? Just a thought.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    - how can one print a black face and black outfit and still see the person - or draw a cartoon in black face without making the face appear like a demeaning caricature? Just a thought.

That is exactly what I meant.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I, for one, respect all of your opinions - as long as we don't name call.

mike >>

mike you're a @&amp;$@#!

·p_A·
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I would like to hear what a black- one armed- muslim- midget would have say about this topic!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    He would say "HEH"
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>mike you're a @&amp;$@#! >>

Thank you! May I have another!

Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to hear what a black- one armed- muslim- midget would have say about this topic! >>

it would probably get him banned..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>I would like to hear what a black- one armed- muslim- midget would have say about this topic! >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I miss the guy!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    At least we don't have images like this on our cardboard. image

imageimage

image K, bring on the forum street cleeners. image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>mike you're a @&amp;$@#! >>

Thank you! May I have another!

image >>

....ooooo and you liked it!?!?!
  • Options
    knuckles,

The Rifleman cover had me on the floor!!!

That as well as the Cubs game today makes today a good day...

GG
  • Options

Tell me Timmy, have you ever seen such a nice piece of wood?
  • Options
    "Why no sir... its so long and thick, I can barely keep it up"

GG
  • Options

<< <i>"Why no sir... its so long and thick, I can barely keep it up" >>

You? Heck, the lack of blood flow to my brain has me about to lose consciousness!
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Why can't I open the photos on the posts by SoFLPhillyFan and Knuckles? Is anyone else having that problem? There's a photo on another thread that I can't open, either. Suggestions, comments, or guidance of any kind?
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    goudeygold: Glad I could help make your day. image

Mac53: You probably have something like NetNanny or something that blocks such sites as maddox.xmission.com (which is where these photo's are linked from) either installed on your computer or through your works network if you're viewing this from work/school..
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Knuckles: Thanks, that makes sense. I'm at home, but I work from home on a computer owned/programed by my employer. It won't let me view the Sports Illustrated swimsuit photos or the Victoria's Secret catalog either unless I go there without using the VPN. Not that I'd actually go to those websites. I just haven't run into that problem before today, for whatever reason.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    "Son, I think its 'bout time we take that log to the beaver"

come on guys, throw out some more!!

GG
  • Options

<< <i>"Son, I think its 'bout time we take that log to the beaver"

come on guys, throw out some more!!

GG >>

Mike
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they didn't call him the "rifleman" for nothing. image
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, is that a mayonaise musket?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240