Home Sports Talk
Options

Faster to Slide or Run-through first base?

they were just saying on the Giants game that Visqual ALWAYS slides headfirst into first base and is Convinced that it is faster than running though it. Seems like a no brainer, but has anyone ever testing this?

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless for tactical reasons of trying to evade a tag, or maybe unnerving a fielder in surprising him with a slide so maybe he'll take his eye off the ball for a split second and drop the ball, I can't see how sliding could be better than running.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

I don't know which is better, but it's much more fun if you do a "Lou Piniella."

Rip it out of the ground and throw it into the outfield.
  • Options
    As Steve Stone used to say on Cubs broadcasts, "If it were faster to dive headfirst than to run, you would see it being done in the Olympics.".

There is no possible way it is faster and never makes sense unless to avoid a tag or a collision.
  • Options

<< <i>As Steve Stone used to say on Cubs broadcasts, "If it were faster to dive headfirst than to run, you would see it being done in the Olympics.". >>

Agreed 100%.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    If you are running through first base, you are continuing to add velocity to your path.

If you are sliding, not only are you no longer adding velocity, you now have the friction of your entire body slowing you down on your path.

Running is ALWAYS faster and unless one of the situations above (avoiding a tag, etc.) running through should be the way.