Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is this 3D card really worth this much???

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '68 Topps 3-D set is one of the tougher Topps test sets around. It was the first 3-D set issued by anyone, and basically the set that Kellogg's patterned their cards after.

SMR on commons in PSA 9 is $1,200 and the Roberto Clemente lists at $20,000 in PSA 9.

Steve
  • Options
    Hmmmm....I'm thinking for 20 grand a person could maybe get 1961-1973 all very highend PSA 9 Clemente??? These 3D seem outrageous. They must be very very rare in any grade.

Anyone know approximate production and/or estmated surviving copies?
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    they are not rare in high grade, they are rare period!

they dont have any corners and they are made out of plastic so when you do find them they are usually in good shape, the problem is finding them at all.

I love the tony perez from that set. awesome set way ahead of its time.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    The Willie Davis PSA 10 wouldn't sell if it was half that price. You can pick up PSA 10 Davis and Fairly for under $1500 apiece.

That said, this set might take you your whole life to finish. In order of rarity from easiest to hardest (IMO). I put Stottlemyre at the end because it seems to be harder to find in focus than the others.

Davis
    Fairly
    Maloney
    Clemente
    Robinson
    Perez
    Lonborg
    Flood
    Swoboda
    Staub
    Powell
    Stottlemyre

Link to some purty pictures
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Bob-That is an unbelievable set of 68 3d cards-beautiful-You have a very nice collection-I am still lokking for a 67 and 68 topps disc and a 67 punchout of Brooks Robinson-If I get those it would be pretty safe to say I have every Brooks card except for the 61 dice game and the 67 3d proof-please give me the heads up if you are selling or see any of those reobinson cards!!! Thanks Scott
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Bob - awesome set - thanks for posting scans.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Cool set, weird player selection. Most of the guys are minor/regional names at best. Just imagine if this set had Rose, Mays, Aaron and the other stars of the era.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Are there approximately 30 to 40 of each card in existence?
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats a high percentage of completed sets.

the 68 Test Discs, now that is rare!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken, the Davis was part of the find from ten years ago or so.
    About 4 or 5 of the cards are much easier to find than the rest.

Where's Murcer? He could tell us which ones were part of that find.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Bob, those cards are beautiful! Interesting looking Mel S. - the out of focus card doesn't impact the grade?
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting looking Mel S. - the out of focus card doesn't impact the grade? >>

I'd say it definitely lowered the grade at least one. Card is flawless except for the focus.
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    arent the 3-d's the cards that have a tendency to practically disintegrate over time? I thought someone posted some psa 9 or 10s a while back that were all cracked and looked horrible. seems like a lot of money to spend on a high grade example that isn't likely to last high grade.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i> awesome set way ahead of its time. >>

I wouldnt go that far....Kellogg's started producing 3-D cards just 2 years later.
  • Options
    XOGRAPH was the company that produced both the '68 3-Ds and the Kellogg's cards (at least the first few sets). The '68 3-Ds were pretty nice for a first try.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I understand Murcerfan has been banned again.

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    It was a kellogs card that cracked..althought i think it has to be exposed to cold weather...maybe not.

they are ticking time bombs!! sell them to KINGKELLOG..he likes them i hear. image

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    The "find" (which I believe was by everyone's favorite - Mr. Mint) must have included at least Davis, Fairly, Maloney, and Clemente. I'm not sure if others were part of it, but I am pretty sure of those four. Also, I don't think an equal number of each card was found, and I think that by far the most of Davis and Fairly were found. The Davis 10 is probaby worth a little over $1k in my opinion. There is not a huge premium for a 10 over an 8 or 9 in this set. There is obviously some premium, but just not a very big one. With the Davis card being probably the easiest in the set, the premium is even less.

As to how many of each card may be in existence, I am just guessing, but I would say there are probably not more than 200 of any one card, and there are probably some cards in the set with less than 50 in existence. That's just a ballpark guess based on my experience and the pop reports. The 200 figure may even be high - it may be more like no more than 100 of any one card. I would be interested to hear the opinions of others who have experience with the set on this issue.

I pretty much agree with Bob's order of scarcity above, although it is kind of splitting hairs on some of these. I would tend to rank them in three groups (A=easier to C=harder):

A: Davis, Fairly, Maloney, Clemente
    B: Robinson, Lonborg, Perez, Flood, Swoboda
    C: Powell, Staub, Stottlemyre

The Clemente is "easier" in terms of population, but still very hard because of popularity/demand/price.

These are clearly subject to cracks, but I have never heard of a slabbed 1968 3-D card developing a crack.

I hope others with experience on this set will comment.

Good post. Wish there were more like this on this board.

That Perez scan is a blazer - the most amazing white borders and focus I have ever seen on one of these.

Another scan from the set:

• Options

<< <i>The Willie Davis PSA 10 wouldn't sell if it was half that price. You can pick up PSA 10 Davis and Fairly for under $1500 apiece.

That said, this set might take you your whole life to finish. In order of rarity from easiest to hardest (IMO). I put Stottlemyre at the end because it seems to be harder to find in focus than the others.

Davis
    Fairly
    Maloney
    Clemente
    Robinson
    Perez
    Lonborg
    Flood
    Swoboda
    Staub
    Powell
    Stottlemyre

Link to some purty pictures >>

Bob, you don't know about which you speak. image
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    actually Bob is dead nuts on with everything he has said
    except the order of rarity (which is debatable..maybe):
    Davis
    Fairly
    Maloney
    Clemente
    Robinson
    Lonborg
    Perez
    Swoboda
    Flood
    Staub
    Stottlemyre
    Powell

edited: for Vargies sense of wellness
  • Options
    I know, I was kidding. I actually consider him the resident expert on Topps test issues.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Andrew,
    Bob

P.S. Have any of you ever seen an unopened pack of these guys or the easel that came in the pack (supposed to be used to display one card)? I haven't. If anyone has an easel, puhleeeez post a scan of it. I'd love to see one. Also, if anyone has doubles or triples of the 1967 Topps 3-D Brooks Robinson test card, I'd trade a case of '88 Donruss for one (and pay S&H). image
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Bob
    Please edit your set to add the "users other sets" feature so I can continue to tell the world , with proof,
    what an asset you are to the male raceimage If you need my social security # for the will let me know?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Bob
    Please edit your set to add the "users other sets" feature so I can continue to tell the world , with proof,
    what an asset you are to the male raceimage If you need my social security # for the will let me know? >>

John,

Actually, I've only got one other PSA set (1957 Kahn's). Most of my collection is (and will continue to be) raw. I don't know how some of youse guys have room for all of the slabbed cards you own. Sheesh. Also, when the cost to get them graded is more than the price of the cards themselves I get confused. I like the look of slabbed cards and would love to have all of my cards entombed, but I'd go more than broke doing so. Sorry for the hijacking....and not back to your regulary scheduled thread.

Bob

P.S. Go ahead and publish your SS# here for all the world to see. I'm sure everybody will avert their eyes. image

P.P.S. My wife can't stop laughing about me being an asset to the male race. image
  • Options

<< <i>
    As to how many of each card may be in existence, I am just guessing, but I would say there are probably not more than 200 of any one card, and there are probably some cards in the set with less than 50 in existence. That's just a ballpark guess based on my experience and the pop reports.
    >>

200 of each card doesn't sound like low population when compare to modern cards.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These are clearly subject to cracks, but I have never heard of a slabbed 1968 3-D card developing a crack. >>

I've heard of at least one '68- I didn't see it, but 2 others did and it wasn't pretty.
    Not common, but it does happen.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've heard of at least one '68- I didn't see it, but 2 others did and it wasn't pretty. >>

That has got to suck!

I guess if the owner is a set registry participant he can always list it without a scan and still
    have a nice average. The drawback is when he goes to sell it. But if they don't know any
    better with this card then it might make you wonder about other cards in their set(s). Hopefully
    they know since these cards are so expensive and tough to find. Also, I sure hope that it wasn't
    sold originally with a crack and not disclosed!imageimage

aconte
  • Options
    Is it the temperature that causes 1968 3D cards or Kelloggs cards to crack? Extreme heat or extreme cold or moisture?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    From what I"ve gathered it is the extreme cold that makes them crack- enough so that one person asked not to have his cards shipped back east during the winter.The '68 that cracked was also subject to cold winters.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>200 of each card doesn't sound like low population when compare to modern cards. >>

When I said 200 of each card (and added later in the post that this was probably on the high end - 100 of each is probably a better estimate), I was talking about my best guess of the total population of all cards in existence (graded or raw), not the "pop" in terms of the PSA population report. The last I checked, the PSA pop report on these ranged from maybe 15 for the tougher ones to like 40 for the Davis. To me, 100-200 of a particular card in existence in the world makes that card very rare. In addition, when you are talking about the tougher cards in this set, I would guess there are less than 50 in existence in the world. How many T206's Wagners are there? I think it's over 50 based on the last estimate I remember seeing. Thus, I think it is very safe to say that this is an extremely rare set.
  • Options
    Oh no, all this talk about "cracking" makes me think to stay away from these cards.

I guess one Clemente for a type example wouldn't hurt too much....if it cracks....darn.

Jeff
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    when will the uncut sheet surface??

great post !
    Bob
  • Options

<< <i>when will the uncut sheet surface??
    >>

Topps Vault seems to have everything. I wouldn't be shocked to see some rare test issues and sheets of test cards in the future.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    robertedwards just auctioned uncut sheets of '71 topps greatest moments and '74 topps deckle edge.
    Bob
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought the Staub was the toughest. It's the card that always seems to be the lowest grade in the top rated sets.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow very expensive 3D card.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5184346405
    myurl >>

Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it.
  • Options

<< <i>I always thought the Staub was the toughest. It's the card that always seems to be the lowest grade in the top rated sets. >>

There are seven sets in the registry. Four of them are at 100% and three are not. In the three that aren't, here's the cards they are still missing:

Flood: |||
    Powell: |||
    Stottlemyre: ||
    Clemente: ||
    Staub: |
    Perez: |

From this limited sample, it would appear that Staub is not as tough as some of the others. In the six sets that contain a Staub, there are two 8s and four 9s. Here's the breakdown on card condition for all 12 cards in the registry sets:

Clemente: one 10, four 9s = 9.2
    Davis: two 10s, three 9s, two 8s = 9
    Fairly: two 10s, four 9s, one 9OC = 9
    Flood: one 10, two 9s, one 8 = 9
    Lonborg: one 10, three 9s, two 8s, one 4 = 8.1
    Maloney: two 10s, four 9s, one 8 = 9.1
    Perez: one 10, four 9s, one 8 = 9
    Powell: two 10s, two 8s = 9
    Robinson: one 10, one 9, two 8s, one 7, two 6s = 7.7
    Staub: four 9s, two 8s = 8.7
    Stottlemyre: one 10, two 9s, two 8s = 8.8
    Swoboda: two 10s, one 9, three 8s, one 6 = 8.4

Not a significant difference in condition across the board according to registry sets.