Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Super High Grade and Low Population 1955 Bowman baseball cards on Ebay

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    talk about LOW POP! those are some nice cards

I would listed these on the current REA auction...Its a thin market for 55 Bowmans and the right exposure could have made a big difference.

Good luck with the sale, I hope these are extras because i really think your set could win an award this year. Its a great set with 3 wins in a row, one of only five 100% complete in the registry and with a dominance of 0.40 higher GPA.

image Best Post-War Vintage Baseball Set of the Year (1948-1959)
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • What is the story with the recent Bowman population explosion?
    I love candy cards
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Damn.........some FINE looking cards.

MY 55 Bowman set will have to stay raw as I couldn't afford to build the set graded!!!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Mikeschmidt, WOW!!! CONGRATS ON ONE AWESOME GROUP OF BOWMANS. If I could only afford a few. Gonna be a lot of happy buyers when they get these beauties. Congrats again.

Stan/ bosko56
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    It's quite funny to see a junk card (81 Fleer) on that list among some of the best cards in the hobby.
  • EOMINTEOMINT Posts: 349
    As a fellow HBSer I hate to do this but....the top edge of that Mays looks frayed, is that just the scan or is that the card? Also, do u have a 55 Bowman Aaron PSA 9, I love that card.

EO
  • The Mays looks decent, a little print mark lower right still allows it to Grade 9. Any one notice that there has been several high dollar GAI 55 Bowmans in High grade around? Goodwin, and a dealer in Chicago had a Mays, Banks and Aaron 9. Whats the deal? New find? These cards are screamers!
    I love candy cards
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Eric:

There is the slightest bit of white showing along the top edge. This is not atypical for the issue; in fact, most cards out of packs from the Paris, TN find happened to have a large number of actual chips in the border, where you see a white chunk on the obverse of the card. On this particular Mays up for auction, the white really doesn't become very noticeable until you see the card at 4 - 5 x actual size, and even then it is very slight.

Fletch:

As for all of the GAI high-grade 1955 Bowmans that have recently come to market, all of them, I believe, are sourced from Gary Moser. Please e-mail me offline if you would like more information. Gary claims that he has a source that has a number of boxes from the original Paris, TN find, including two unopened boxes left [one not damaged]. That being said - it does seem like the GAI cards have a liberal dosing of gloss on them. I have spoken to a few other collectors of this set who have generally been unsuccesseful in a one-off attempt here or there at crossing from GAI to PSA. But I've heard stories the other way, too.

All - for what it is worth, I do have scans of all five 1955 Bowman Willie Mays PSA 9 cards. If there is any interest, I can either try posting them, or you could alternatively e-mail me, and I will send them to you.

Eric:
    You're actually closeby, I think. I would be more than happy to bike over to your place sometime if you would like to see the Mays [or any other 1955 Bowmans of interest...]

Cheers-
    ~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

• << <i>Eric:

There is the slightest bit of white showing along the top edge. This is not atypical for the issue; in fact, most cards out of packs from the Paris, TN find happened to have a large number of actual chips in the border, where you see a white chunk on the obverse of the card. On this particular Mays up for auction, the white really doesn't become very noticeable until you see the card at 4 - 5 x actual size, and even then it is very slight.

Fletch:

As for all of the GAI high-grade 1955 Bowmans that have recently come to market, all of them, I believe, are sourced from Gary Moser. Please e-mail me offline if you would like more information. Gary claims that he has a source that has a number of boxes from the original Paris, TN find, including two unopened boxes left [one not damaged]. That being said - it does seem like the GAI cards have a liberal dosing of gloss on them. I have spoken to a few other collectors of this set who have generally been unsuccesseful in a one-off attempt here or there at crossing from GAI to PSA. But I've heard stories the other way, too.

All - for what it is worth, I do have scans of all five 1955 Bowman Willie Mays PSA 9 cards. If there is any interest, I can either try posting them, or you could alternatively e-mail me, and I will send them to you.

Eric:
    You're actually closeby, I think. I would be more than happy to bike over to your place sometime if you would like to see the Mays [or any other 1955 Bowmans of interest...]

And Gary is known for telling the truth...yuk...yuk just ask Gerry,his ex-busness partner or maybe "comic-Keys" who purchased a bogus Mantle rookie from him 5 years ago in a PRO holder. Don't worry Marc,your cards are safe as devoid of competition!

Cheers-
    ~ms[/qM]image
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • DavinoDavino Posts: 333
    Nice cards, I threw some bids in!
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>What is the story with the recent Bowman population explosion? >>

It certainly seems that way, doesn't it? Memory Lane has an auction that ends tomorrow with many very high-grade 1955 Bowman cards. In fact, they all all PSA 9 and PSA 10!!!!! image

http://www.memorylaneinc.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=349

LOT#192 1955 Bowman #31 Johnny Temple PSA 10 GEM MINT
    BIDS: 11
    STARTING BID: $300.00
    CURRENT: $1,850.00

LOT#193 1955 Bowman #27 Preston Ward PSA 9 MINT
    BIDS: 2
    STARTING BID: $100.00
    CURRENT: $390.00

LOT#194 1955 Bowman #58 Billy Cox PSA 9 MINT
    BIDS: 2
    CURRENT: $390.00

LOT#195 1955 Bowman #79 Willie Miranda PSA 9 MINT
    BIDS: 4
    CURRENT: $472.00

LOT#196 1955 Bowman #132 Harvey Kuenn (Misspelled Last Name) PSA 9 MINT
    BIDS: 8
    STARTING BID: $200.00
    CURRENT: $700.00

LOT#197 1955 Bowman #252 Roy Smalley PSA 9 MINT
    BIDS: 4
    STARTING BID: $200.00
    CURRENT: $393.00

• kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    So many great low population PSA 9 and PSA 10 cards. I wish I had the money right now.
    ttt

These are all ending later today - and many are still at attractive prices.

Cheers!
  • Will this cross? The Mick
    I love candy cards
    Fletch:

There is not enough data on GAI graded 1955 Bowmans and their abililty to cross to PSA. I have heard limited mixed results. As I've mentioned previously in this thread, almost all GAI graded 1955 Bowman star and commons in high grade originate from a single source. I would advise you to due your due diligence.
  • I love candy cards
  • Mark, What do you think of this 55 Ernie One edge looks funky. Same source? If so, not good.
    I love candy cards

<< <i>Mark, What do you think of this 55 Ernie One edge looks funky. Same source? If so, not good. >>

Fletch: Unclear. Possibly. I've heard a story of a Banks 8.5 from GAI that was sold to Madec that made its way into a PSA 9 holder. This could be the one... Shrug.