Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What Famous stars (movie/tv/music) or athletes are REAL Card Collectors?!

I know that there are a bunch, but besides Keith Olbermann I can not think of any.

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Charlie Sheen, he once owned the Buckner ball.

Stingray
  • Options
    oh yeah, I forgot about Wayne Gretzky once owning a card........................image
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I once saw an article about Jason Kidd and his collection.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Dmitri Young, Tom Candiotti..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic, but Nicholas Cage and Kirk Hammett are big time comic book collectors, at least they were as of a few years ago. I think Penny Marshall collects baseball memorabilia, not sure about cards though.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who missed the thread, here are the top 25 cards owned by Candiotti!

1909-1911 T206 Eddie Plank PSA 8
    1933 Goudey Larry Lajoie PSA 9
    1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 10
    1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 10
    1954 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 10
    1909 E90-1 Joe Jackson PSA 8
    1915 M101-5 Sporting News Babe Ruth PSA 8
    1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson PSA 9
    1952 Topps Willie Mays PSA 10
    1954 Bowman Ted Williams PSA 9
    1941 Play Ball Joe DiMaggio PSA 9
    1941 Play Ball Ted Williams PSA 9
    1952 Topps Willie Mays PSA 10
    1933 Goudey #144 Babe Ruth PSA 9
    1933 Goudey #181 Babe Ruth PSA 9
    1938 Goudey #247 Joe DiMaggio PSA 9
    1938 Goudey #250 Joe DiMaggio PSA 9
    1909-1911 T-206 Ty Cobb PSA 9
    1909-1911 T-206 Christy Mathewson PSA 9
    1951 Bowman Willie Mays PSA 9
    1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson PSA 9
    1909-1911 T-206 Cy Young PSA 9
    1949 Bowman Satchell Paige PSA 9
    1927 E126 Babe Ruth PSA 8
    1909 T206 Walter Johnson PSA 9

This is incredible! They value these cards in the 4 to 7 million range!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nicholas Cage is also one of the top Elvis collectors. He even acquired Lisa Marie for a short period image.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    not famous, but a great collector nonetheless:

Dan Schatzeder. 15+ years in MLB is worth something!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I though Eddy Vedder was spotted at some card shows.

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget about Billy Crystal buying the infamous Glove.
  • Options
    Billy Crystal bought memorabilia in the past. Does he collect cards too?

Then there's "Mr X" (apparently a famous showbiz guy), who recently made news selling his huge pre war collection. Any idea who he is?

T206 Plank and Co.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>not famous, but a great collector nonetheless:

Dan Schatzeder. 15+ years in MLB is worth something! >>

same here, not really famous, but an athlete collector.. i sold a raw reggie jackson rookie to Mike Mamula (used to play for the Eagles).. he collects alot of stuff..

i've also sold Bob St. Clair some of his own cards.. but i dont really know if he "collects"..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>I know that there are a bunch, but besides Keith Olbermann I can not think of any. >>

Charlie Sheen had a bunch of old baseball cards and other sports memorablia displayed at the All Star Cafe in Times Square. Is that place still open? I went once in 1997. It was crappy. It had too much of an obnoxious ESPN Sportscenter feel to it. Go braves go. I'm not religious, but I love that Pope picture with his hands circled over his eyes.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Spike Lee
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if he does anymore but I remember a very old Beckett interview with Patrick Roy if my memory serves me correct he's got a bunch of late 70's to mid 80's sets in binders.
  • Options
    I know Spike Lee is a collector as I had a nice conversation with him at the 1999 National down in Atlanta. He was inquiring about purchasing some of my items that I ended up consigning to Mastros. It was pretty cool because Bill Russell was with him at the time and we all three sat down for about 20 minutes looking at the items that I had. He is into the older items as he was really interested in the 1934 Goudey Premium set and the 1933 Sport Kings collection that I had.
  • Options
    Reggie Jackson collects his own RC - has a boat load - I believe he lost some in a fire? SCD features a lot of young players that collect but never kept track.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure if he does anymore but I remember a very old Beckett interview with Patrick Roy if my memory serves me correct he's got a bunch of late 70's to mid 80's sets in binders. >>

I remember Roy being a collector as well. Seems he collected a lot of tobacco hockey cards.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Roy bought some memorabilia from the Montreal Forum auction years ago including the banner from their last Stanley Cup in which he was the play-off MVP.
  • Options
    Gary Carter and Carlton Fisk both have large collections.
  • Options
    Orel Hershiser, Bobby Valentine, Randy Johnson and David Wells.Orel and Valentine were walking areond the Anaheim and Arlington national.
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, first post here! I remember Andre Dawson trying to collect all (or most) of his 1993 Topps Finest Refractor card. I believe he has since sold most, or all of them...
  • Options

<< <i>Hello everyone, first post here! I remember Andre Dawson trying to collect all (or most) of his 1993 Topps Finest Refractor card. I believe he has since sold most, or all of them... >>

Welcome to the boards GoSteelers!
    What do you collect besides Steelers - excuse the hijack.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Hello Mike,
    Actually, I mostly collect baseball, haven't collected football for quite some time. I just happen to love the Steelers! Right now, I'm working at building a set of 1993 Topps Finest Refractors (I know, modern crap!). Other stuff that appeals to me includes old Yankees, 1975, 1980 Topps or cards that I grew up on (70s and early 80s).

Mark
  • Options

<< <i>set of 1993 Topps Finest Refractors (I know, modern crap!). >>

Well Mark
    It may be "crap" (to some)...but it's mighty expensive crap! image
    Good luck on your collecting and I hope you enjoy your stay here!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I know Michael Piller has a vast collection--(executive producer for Star Trek Deep Space Nine).
  • Options
    FuturemanFutureman Posts: 135 ✭✭
    If I remember right, Gretzky bought the Wagner more as an investment, rather than as a collector.

Scotty Bowman has a really big (and expensive) collection. There was a segment on ESPN a couple years ago with Bowman showing off his memorabilia. He had a ton of his own cards, and if I remember right, several Gretzky and Lemieux rookies. He started collecting with his sons.

There's someone else that escapes me right now ...
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure if he does anymore but I remember a very old Beckett interview with Patrick Roy if my memory serves me correct he's got a bunch of late 70's to mid 80's sets in binders. >>

I remember that article. Patrick also mentioned having a 1951 Parkhurst complete set, and one day wanted to leave his collection to his kids. There was also an article about Rick Meagher (not very famous) he was on the St Louis Blues at the time and he had a nice collection. Many relatives of fomer and now deceased athlete go on ebay and by the relatives cards.
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>If I remember right, Gretzky bought the Wagner more as an investment, rather than as a collector. >>

Correct. He and Bruce McNall (then LA Kings owner) were partners in that investment. The two also partnered with John Candy and bought the Toronto Argonauts back around the same time period, before McNall's legal troubles.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Joe Garagiola used to talk a lot about his cards.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an article in the new SCD about Brad Lidge and his collection, including T206s.

Steve
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>Dmitri Young, Tom Candiotti.. >>

Dmitiri Young just bought the only PSA 10 Dave Winfield RC in existence: NAXCOM LINK
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Chuck Knoblouch( dont know if I spelled his last name correctly ) is a card collector

Matt
  • Options
    Kevin Cosner is a Babe Ruth collector, I have sold PSA & SGC graded Babe Ruth cards to him in the past.
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Chipper Jones is a big-time Mantle collector.