Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Highest Rated Set??

After seeing the post about the 1980 set at 9.50 I was thinking what is the highest rated set on the registery. I figure it would be a new set, just based on age of set and chances of finding higher graded cards. I know I could look all of this up, but wondering if anyone know off the top of there heads.

Stingray

Comments

• coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    I know that there is at least 1 1986 Fleer Basketball with a rating of 10.

Edited to say that there are 3 currently.
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    There are lots of small modern sets completed at the maximum 10.00 GPA:

Example #1
    Example #2
    Example #3
  • Many modern sets are the top rated with perfect scores. Some rare sets with single owners also have the best possible set based purely on scarcity.

IMO the top rated set is the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams. Considering that the cards are somewhat common for a vintage set, are highly sought after and every top-level collector is after them. The #1 set is very close to perfect, with almost every card being the highet graded. The top set has 15 out of the possible PSA 10's in the world. Unless there is a "find" and one person can get them all, this set will probably never be beat.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Must have some deep pockets to be able to have all of those PSA 10 cards. Wonder if they had those cards graded themselves or found them at auction? I am trying to put together the 67 set and I just can't believe what some of the PSA 9 commons are selling for.

Stingray
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    It all depends on the set. None of the 3 hockey sets I linked are particularly difficult or expensive to put together. The 1977 Topps Glossy, for example, has rounded corners, so high-grade cards are not that difficult to come by. The OPC Premier and OPC Red Army sets are mass-produced modern sets whose commons would likely be more expensive to have graded than to buy already slabbed.
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    As far as baseball, the #1 All-Time 1968 Topps had 9.34, which I think is the highest grade for a complete and comprehensive mainstream basic set of any era, and shows how crazy an accomplishment it was. Even with later sets like from the 1980s and 1990s very few have higher grades, but few of those are complete, or even within a few cards. There is a 1990 Leaf set at 100% with a 9.93 GPA. I haven't gone through all the sets, but that's the only one I can recall with 100% and a higher GPA than Revere's 68s. Some sets like 1968 Topps 3-D have a higher GPA but only 12 cards, scarce though they are.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • there is a complete 1990 leaf set at 9.93 - dunno if that is too modern of a set but its pretty big at 528 cards
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    2008 ring kings cut signatures
    any Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Keith Hernandez cards in (10)
  • seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Here's another:

linky-dinky