Home Sports Talk
Options

New BCS structure (again) because AP POLL has pulled out!!!!

How do they fix the BCS story
By Chris Dufresne, Times Staff Writer

College football leaders today begin meetings in Scottsdale, Ariz., to continue repair work on the bowl championship series standings.

The controversial BCS formula, which is used to select the sport's national title game participants, has been tweaked almost every year since its inception in 1998.

This year, however, the BCS faces a unique challenge — finding a way to choose No. 1 and No. 2 now that the Associated Press has pulled its poll out of the standings formula.

"Obviously, these are important meetings," BCS coordinator and Big 12 Conference Commissioner Kevin Weiberg said.

Last year's formula gave one-third weight each to the writers' polls, coaches' poll and a computer index. The AP opted out of the BCS after its voting writers were faced with the journalistically compromising prospect of deciding whether Texas or California would play in a multimillion-dollar BCS game.

What the BCS does now is anyone's guess. The leading option appears to be simply replacing the AP poll with another index, comprised of willing football experts (ex-coaches, retired scribes, mothballed athletic directors?). The major conference commissioners have been asked to bring a list of potential voters to this week's meetings.

The poll might be administered by the College Football Hall of Fame or the national Assn. of Collegiate Directors of Athletics.

Another possibility is scrapping the BCS standings in favor of a panel similar to the NCAA basketball tournament selection committee.

That idea was recently deemed a longshot by one BCS commissioner, but Weiberg said it was still being considered.

"I'm not sure at this point I'd characterize any option as being the leading candidate until we have a chance to sit down and debate them more fully in these meetings," he said.

Weiberg said the 11 Division I-A commissioners would like to emerge from three days of meetings with "a direction" for a new plan and must have a working formula no later than mid-July.

"We'd like to move this along as fast as we can, but these are matters that take careful consideration," Weiberg said.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Another possibility is scrapping the BCS standings in favor of a panel similar to the NCAA basketball tournament selection committee.. >>

Do we REALLY want a "Committee" deciding who is in and out? and who will play in the big game? this is a HUGE CLUSTER!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    PLAYOFFS!!! PLAYOFFS!!!