Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1980 Topps Baseball at 9.5 GPA !!!

Checked out some sets on the registry last night, and a new entry in the 1980 Topps baseball dropped my own paltry set down a notch. Not the top ranked, but has the highest GPA, an astounding 9.5 !!

Yes Mr. Frank Smith has done it again, from about 1975 to 1983 he has some of the best major sets out there. A fine fellow, though quite "fussy" on card condition / detail, I am lucky enough to have done a little trading with Frank and thus have a very few of my own submitted cards in his great sets.

Congrats to Frank on another fine set !

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

Comments

• Options
    DavinoDavino Posts: 333
    That's cool, why did you get rid of those cards?
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Davino,

I do not collect the 1978 and 1983 sets in graded form, but have submitted some and got a few 9s and 10s which I traded for my 1979 set, which of course is way behind Frank's.

I did trade one 1980 PSA 10, a set I collect but not fanactically, because I had a 9 as a back-up which was good enough for my needs. Looking back, I probably would re-think that one, but really no big deal.

• Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    A very fine set from a fabulious collector indeed.Some of my children given up for adoption reside in the soon to be # 1 1980 Topps Baseball set.

Nice going,Frank!

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank took my 1978 PSA 10 Bill Plummer (1 of 1), Phil Mankowski (1 of 1), and Ed Halicki off of my hands! Yes I have donated to the Funksters greatness imageimage

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    If the 78s are your baby, then how can you let those 10s, 1:1s go?

GG
  • Options
    Geez Rob, you got me dead and buried already but yet I'm still breathing. What am I chop liver??? I kinda feel like Rodney Dangerfield here. Spent all that time adding scans to my set and hardly a peep from my fellow 1980 collectors. I put em all out there for the world to see. The good, bad and the ugly. *sniff* *sniff* Oh well, least I know which ones I need to upgrade image

That's quite a nice GPA ya got there Frank, but why MOSH the set??? All those nice cards and you black it out? I've been waiting for over a year for you to finally add that set and we can't see anything but a number. C'mon Frank, lets see some scans! Let those puppies out to see the world. You've got quite a collection of cards and I'm sure a lot of us here would like to see em. Scans should be mandatory for a GPA that high image I'd love to know if it's even possible to find a nice copy of the Manny Sanguillen card. That one has to be the toughest one for me so far. Haven't even found a decent 8 yet. I've already pegged that one as one of the last five, if I ever even find one to begin with.

Cheers,

BT (still clawing his way through this monster of a set)

• Options
    Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for noticing guys! The 1980 set is one that I had planned on doing for quite some time, but with Rob, BT, Punchy and the boys working so hard on it earlier, I decided to postpone it until about year ago.

I probably bought more cards from this year than any other. I was 12 at the time and I can still remember turning in foul balls at the little league games in order to receive a pack of cards. There used to be five or six of us battling it out for every ball that made it over the screen. Another great memory of this set is that a couple of the local card shop owners would pay me $1.75 for every Rickey Henderson I could pull. Considering that $1.75 would allow me to buy seven additional packs, it seemed like a pretty good deal to me at the time.

I would like to thank all the people that I have helped get me to this point. I would like to give special thanks to Rob, Roger, Jerry, Jack and the one and only King! Without your help I would not be near as far along as I am. I also want to congratulate Brian (BT) and Jeff (Punchymuffin) for their outstanding 1980 sets. The fantastic job that they have done has to be commended. As for chop liver...NO WAY! I'm amazed at the cards you guys keep turning up.

Lastly, if any of guy guys have sharp examples that I’m missing or would upgrade what I have, please contact me. I would be happy to buy or trade for them.

Thanks again!

Frank
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
    Brian - The set is open for viewing and I am scanning cards with the intention of loading pictures in the near future. I just got back 182 cards from PSA and have a number of extra 10's and 9's that you could use. I'll get everything organized and shoot you an e-mail. Frank
    Here is a link to the scan of the only Sanguillen 9:

Click Here

The top to bottom centering could be better, but this is one of those 1980 cards where the name sets right on the border making the centering look worse than it actually is. The rest of the card is very nice. The corners are razor sharp and the print, while not perfect, is better than any other example I have encountered.
    Brian,I love you man.You know that. image

Manny is a super PITA but thank God you have a number of others like so you'll never find in another set (Even Franks) for a long time.

You Jeff and Frank have a mixture of cards that are seemingly impossible in 9.

Then again,the Gossage seemed to explode in population within the last year so....

• Options
    Wow Frank, you've got a ton of nice cards in that set. Thanks for opening that up. I can't wait to see those scans! That Manny card is still the nicest one I've seen. The centering is better than anything I have and the picture actually looks in focus with pretty decent coloring. Most of the ones I've seen are out of focus and somewhat faded and blurry looking. That and the orange print marks that seem to plague the Pirates cards (Easler is another with this problem).

These cards look fantastic when you find one that has deep coloring to it. Some of em even seem to glow, almost like one of those "Tiffany" cards they started making a few years later. With your eye for sharp cards I can only imagine what some of those 10s look like.

This set is definitely my favorite and in fact it's the only thing I'm actively collecting. If I ever get off my lazy rear-end I'll probably just sell off everything I have but this set. Lot of sentimental value in this for me too. First year I played baseball, first year I collected, etc. I remember "borrowing" quarters from my Dad's change dish pretty much every day in the summer. He kept asking me where I was getting all those cards. To this day I still haven't told him image I also still have my original beaten up, dog-eared cards. I must have really beaten the snot out of those things as I'd be lucky to get anything higher than a 2. I actually remember making card houses with them image

Hey Rob, did you see that Goose 10 I got? When I was going through a vending box I actually stopped and just stared at it for a minute. It only has a very minor print mark just under the team banner on his uniform. You have to actually look for it to see it. First one I've seen that didn't have a noticable smear across the Yankees name. I guess if I could find that one without the smear it should be possible to find a Jerry Remy and Julio Gonzalez without one too. Those 2 cards are also giving me a lot of grief. Every single one I've seen has smudging on it.

You guys know of anyone with decent unopened material? I'm kinda tapped out as far as raw cards to go through at the moment. Haven't really seen anything decent on EBAY in months. Must of the unopened stuff seems to have been around the block a few times if you know what I mean. I'd rather buy something that hasn't really been moved in the last 25 years. These cards tend not to travel well. I also tend to stay away from wax so I'm primarily looking for vending and rack. I'd be interesting in going in on a vending or rack case if you guys ever happen to see one.

Take care guys

BT

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the 78s are your baby, then how can you let those 10s, 1:1s go?

GG >>

I traded them to Frank for a bunch of PSA 9's ..... I am no longer in the market of giving up my self submitted 10's image of which I have more 1 of 1's image

Still, great job on the 1980 set Frank! This is a set I have thought of once , if ever, I complete the 78's

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭

....Frank Smith is my hero...image

KING
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Frank,

Do you have any 1975 Topps Mini Keith Hernandez (#623) cards that you want to trade, sell? From what I read on this message board, you are the person to ask.
  • Options
    ajetfanajetfan Posts: 229
    Yesterday I listed 3 tough 1980 Topps commons on ebay. They are:

#31 JAY JOHNSTONE PSA 10
    #296 DAVE RADER PSA 9
    #347 HARRY CHAPPAS PSA 9

I usually try to avoid spamming this board, but I have a feeling that some of you 1980 Topps guys would be interested in these cards.
    I also have some other nice items up including a 1988 Topps Roger Clemens and Greg Maddux, both in PSA 10.

Here's a link to the auctions and thanks for looking!

Auctions ending Saturday 5/7
  • Options
    deusyali - Sorry. I don't have any extra mini's at the moment. Frank
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    I have a few 75s available.
  • Options
    Brian - Please send me an e-mail. I have some cards for you but I can find your e-mail address. It is not listed on your sets any longer and you don't have your private message capability turned on. Frank
    Well,finally I have to tip my hat to Brian for knocking me off the all time finest as he now resides in the #1 slot.

Brian,you are a trooper.You took off for a year and then came back in late 2003 and look at you now baby.

I see you completed your NYY Team set too!

• Options
    Wow you guys are still at it. A lot has changed in this house. Hope all is well folks!
  • Options
    Rob - Good to see you around. How is life treating you? Send me an e-mail or PM some time. Frank
    Ditto Frank's message, would certainly like to hear from you.

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Ditto from me too - good to see you posting again, Rob!
  • Options
    Hey kids!

Wow almost a year later!

Let me give ya all a quick rundown:

1) school PT
    2) Work close 60hr a week
    3) started a new party band
    4) sleep ???
    5) missing collecting image
    6) Dogbite + Hernia + 2 blown disks = Hey I'm a survivor!

Life is busy, but good!

I see that a ton of cats have kept on rolling and though I may not be social I do occasionally stalk the registry especally the beloved 1980's.

Eventually, I will be back. Right now, it's too irresponsible of an endeavour. Maybe for my 40th I will revert to my childhood once again! LOL!

How's everyone???

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rob - good to hear from you. Yep, do the 'life' thing first, then when the time is right come on back. It's never too late or out of fashion to collect cards!
    Bill
  • Options
    Mr Donruss! Hey!!!!!

wassup buggg
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Rob - not sure you're aware but I completed, then sold my set. It's in good hands. It was time to move on to other things outside the hobby, but gotta tell ya I can't seem to shake the 84D itch. Maybe one day I'll assemble it again!
    Bill
  • Options
    I'm sure that Bill will be back in the fold at some point....but, going for an all 10s set this time, I'm sure! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a Rickey Henderson Rookie PSA 10 pop (10/0) sold today on eBay for $9,300!

Congrats to the new owner, whom ever they are. image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    hey guys, I have been looking everywhere for a 1980 "no Name" Greg Pryor. I figure maybe someone may see this post in this thread and can help me finally get my hands on one !!!!!!!!!!!!

please pm me or email me richtree AT gmail.com

thanks
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”