Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Check out E-bay # 5189862538 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 GAI 6

What is this and how did this card get into a GAI holder as a 6. It is no better than a 3. There is a buy it now for $6,000.00.

Comments

• Options
    LINK

packcollector quote from below "how anyone would not think that is a scam and think it is a legitiamtely graded card is beyond me "

This coming from the same guy who bought a bunch of KSA sheet cut Orr cards (after being warned on this board they were sheet cut) and whined about it afterwards

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is pretty lousy looking there is not even one corner that looks close to being square. Looks more like a 4 IMO.

Stingray
  • Options
    DavinoDavino Posts: 333

<< <i>What is this and how did this card get into a GAI holder as a 6. It is no better than a 3. There is a buy it now for $6,000.00. >>

the centering throws the graders off, they recognize its value!

I now proclaim myself "da big hurt" of GAI!
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Something fishy about that card and that seller. This is the third 1952 Mantle this seller has listed in the past few weeks.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    That holder looks like it's been cracked open.
    Look at the whole right side of that thing. Doesn't
    look like fog, but more of a crystalized cracking. You can
    see it on the left side too, but the right is a lot clearer. I would think
    their holders would be pretty tough to tamper with, but you
    never know.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    There is no way that this card is a six!

Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Photoshop special... the card is a counterfeit, the holder is a stolen image, the fake card scanned and cropped and then the pictures merged. The buyer sends this scammer a MO, gets nothing in return, scammer is long gone.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    good thing he didn't pull his scam with a psa holder. you would all be banned from the boards. how anyone would not think that is a scam and think it is a legitiamtely graded card is beyond me
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Just because the BIN is $6,000 for a card that would be worth $11,000 if it was really a 6, just because this alleged 6 looks like a low-end 3 with a CREASE running down into Mick's head, you automatically think it's fishy. Sheesh, what a bunch of cynics!
  • Options
    great call...you can only tell this is a fake mantle by looking at how the fake mantle was put on top of a gai holder then a picture was taken of it....the card is way off to the right on the holder. if you look at a gai holder with a card in it there is a air gap in every corner..this guy should be banned from ebay...gai do have great graders only my opinion...
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I have no doubt this is a con, but why would he PhotoShop a fake or low-grade Mantle on top of a real one? If he stole the scan, why not keep the legit Mantle that's already in the holder? At least that way, people aren't tipped off by the VG card with the round corners in a GAI 6 slab.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The Mantle scammers are the biggest bunch of idiots in the world... except, of course, for the Mantle buyers who are quick to throw thousands of dollars at auctions that are pathetic scams.

You can tell that Mantle is a fake if you know it... it's a very common fake actually, nothing more than a color copy.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Auction ended early. No big surprise there.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's