Home Sports Talk

Why are all the Great QBs not getting picked?

What is up with the Top QBs not getting drafted at all? I mean Brock Berlin, Chris Rix, Jason White (a Heisman trophy winner!), Tonny Chang (ncaa career passing leader!). Why are all these other QBs going but they are not even getting looked at?? These are some of the best of the whole nation, but nothing?? it seems strange.

Comments

• The skill sets required to be a successful pro QB don't necessarily line up with those needed to be a dominant college player.....do these names ring a bell with you? They're all recent Heisman winning QB's......Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Charlie Ward, Gino Toretta, Andre Ware and Ty Detmer......get the picture?
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    That and the fact that most teams just don't need a QB. The reason that Aaron Rodgers fell all the way to 24 is because so many teams are stocked up at QB, and paying big money to a QB that won't start or perform is less and less desirable. Add in the fact that these QBs haven't been given superstar status just adds to the 'blah' attitude most teams have towards them.
  • Heisman Winner White Goes Undrafted

A Heisman Trophy on Jason White's resume wasn't enough to get him drafted.

Oklahoma had 11 players drafted, but the Sooners quarterback was not one of them.

After having six players taken in the first three rounds, five more Sooners were selected Sunday in rounds four through seven, including cornerback Antonio Perkins, linebacker Lance Mitchell and safety Donte Nicholson.

"I'm real happy for our players and very proud of them, too," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "I have a lot of confidence that they'll go on and do well in the NFL and I believe the players that were drafted will be joined by others who will sign as free agents.

"We're happy about the number but not surprised. Look back over the last few years at the Big 12 championships, all the victories and the BCS bowls. It's obvious we had a lot of good players."

Oklahoma has played in the last two Bowl Championship Series title games, losing both.

White rebounded from two major knee injuries to win the Heisman two years ago, throwing for 3,946 yards and 40 touchdowns.

He received a waiver from the NCAA to return for a sixth season at Oklahoma last year and made another run at the Heisman. He passed for 35 TDs and 3,205 yards, and finished third in the Heisman voting behind quarterback Matt Leinart of Southern California and Sooners freshman tailback Adrian Peterson.

But White, with sketchy arm strength and a history of injuries that have cut into his quickness and mobility, was projected to be a late-round selection at best.

Instead, he'll look to latch on as a free agent.

Fourteen quarterbacks were taken in the seven-round draft, including Harvard's Ryan Fitzpatrick and James Killian of Tulsa.

The last Heisman Trophy winner to not be drafted was Charlie Ward, who won the award with Florida State in 1993, but he made it known he was going to play basketball instead. Ward was a first-round pick in the NBA for the New York Knicks.

Among the other prominent players to go undrafted were Tennessee tackle Michael Munoz, the son of Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz, and Michigan safety Ernest Shazor, who left school after his junior season. Munoz and Shazor were All-Americans last season.
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I think after the Ryan Leaf bust a few years, teams are little more selective these days.
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    i bet one or two of these qb's will be a star in 3 years or so. hidden treasure. they will all be invited to camp.
  • The pro game is too different than the college game.

Chang would be like a Doug Flutie without the running skills. I never thought White should have won the Heisman trophy the year he did. When it came to a crunch game, he collapsed. I really dont think many thought he would make it in the pros.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a history of some Pro QB's that played for smaller schools at the time and emerged as great stars... Johnny Unitas played for Louisville, Terry Bradshaw played for a smaller school in Louisana (the name escapes me at the moment)_and what ever became of Terry Baker, John Huarte and I don't recall Pat Sullivan being a big star in the NFL. All three of these guys won the Heisman Trophy, but Unitas and Bradshaw are NFL legends.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Some of these undrafted QBs are being invited to camp by teams as Undrafted Free Agents.

I think Chang has hooked up with the AZ Cardinals and I just saw something about Berlin landing with the Dolphins.