Home Q & A Forum
Options

Why do you not like rare date gold?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, DH,

I occasionally browse over to your retail website, where you give your series and market recommendations. In the past couple years, every time I have looked, you have given rare date (non-MS 65) gold the big "thumbs down." Here is what you wrote earlier this month:

04-06-2005: This market is doing Ok and prices are healthy. The classic, truly rare coins are going up in price. The not-so-rare coins are doing OK. I'm not a big fan of this area and my recommendation is to SELL , unless you really love them.

This surprises me a great deal. I collect New Orleans and Dahlonega gold and over the last few years, nicer coins have been harder to find and prices have continued to squeeze up. As a collector who is very passionate about my specialty, I pay little heed to your recommendation, but I hope others do sell, as you suggest. From my perspective, southern gold, Carson City gold, $3's, $20 Libs, etc. have a fairly large cadre of very dedicated and intense participants, some with very deep pockets. Recent public sales of rare date gold coins (Jewell Collection, SS Republic gold, Cincinnati Collection, Green Pond, etc.) have brought strong prices and considerable interest.

So here's my question:
What is it about rare gold that you do not like? And, is there anything that would get you to like it?

Best regards,

Robert

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Hi Robert,

The comments on my retail website are "relative" comments, i.e. I like other areas better right now. The less-than-Gem-quality rare date gold area had a bigger run-up over the last five years than other areas. Long term, I like all coins and if I had Bill Gates type money I'd try to give Louis Eliasberg a run for his money.

Thanks,

David