Home Sports Talk
Options

Your Non-HOF Baseball Dream Team...

Ok - we smack each other with opinions about guys NOT in the HOF. Let's see your best lineup....8 position players and 4 pitchers who have not made it in the HOF past their eligibility dates. They need to be retired for more than 5 years (ie - not pending HOF eligibilty). I've got my lineup in mind..What is yours???? Add comments.
"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...

Comments

• Options
    Pete Rose, and 11 other guys.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    That's too easy....round it out.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1B - Keith Hernandez
    2B - Bobby Grich
    3B - Graig Nettles
    SS - Alan Trammell
    LF - Joe Jackson
    CF - Dale Murphy
    RF - Andre Dawson
    C - Ted Simmons
    P - Bert Blyleven
    P - Luis Tiant
    P - Tommy John
    P - Jim Kaat
    P - Ron Guidry
    RP - Goose Gossage
    DH - Pete Rose
    Mgr - Dick Williams

For pitchers, I have to use a 5-man rotation and a reliever. Also have to use a DH to get Rose in the lineup. Additionally, you can't have a team without a managerimage

Steve
  • Options
    I bet with hernandez, Rose, and Jackson in the locker room, you would have some great poker games.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    1B Don Mattingly
    2B Randy Velarde
    3B Craig Nettles
    SS Tony Fernandez/Gary Di Sarcina
    LF Gregg Jefferies/Darryl Strawberry
    CF Andy Van Slyke
    RF Andre Dawson/Bo Jackson
    C Terry Steinbach/Dale Murphy/Thurman Munson
    DH Tim Raines

SP Dwight Gooden
    SP Jimmy Key
    SP Jim Abbott
    SP Ron Guidry
    SP Jack Morris
    RP Goose Gossage

I think that is a list of players that retired 5 years ago or more. Some players are not passed their eligibility dates, but no one is really since there is the Veterans Committee. I am not familiar with baseball earlier than the 80's to really pick guys who are well passed their Baseball Writers' HOF eligibility.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Luis Tiant isn't in the Hall. Shame.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I made my choices as carefully as I could taking into account clubhouse chemistry and versatility.

I have Gooden that can throw nasty stuff, while the next day I can use Abbott to finesse towards victory. Goose will surely get them out in the end. Jimmy Key is so unique in his pitching that he would be a welcome change of pace in the pitching arensal I already have. Tough guy Jack Morris is a winner.

I have some fast runners who can get on base like Jefferies, Van Slyke and Raines. I have some smart shortstops to choose from that are reliable and can get things done. A stellar glove to lead the infield in Don Mattingly and I believe we can turn some double plays and really help our finesse pitchers. There are some nice arms in the outfield in Jackson and Van Slyke. Its a tight defense.

The batting line up features Raines batting lead off--hardly anyone better for the job. Mattingly can go third and drive in those runs. Strawberry knows clean up and he is an electrifying player.

I have pure power hitting in Jackson and he can crush the balls out of the park. Dawson can run, hit the long ball, get on base.....what an asset.

Van Slyke is an excellent hitter as well as a stellar glove. I am truely strong in defense with all those gold glove winners. I have excellent hitters in that I have power hitters, gap hitters, pure hitters, doubles machines and so on--lots of variety to battle the enemy. Mattingly as captain can pull this hodge podge group together to work as a team.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    1B-Cecil Cooper
    2B-Lou Whitaker
    SS-Ozzie Guillen
    3B-Graig Nettles
    LF-George Foster
    CF-Dale Murphy
    RF-Dwight Evans
    C-Thurman Munson
    P-Jack Morris
    P-Dave Stieb
    P-Dave Stewart
    P-Jim Kaat

Closer-Lee Smith
    Setup guy-Jeff Reardon

Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • Options
    1B - Gil Hodges
    2B - Pete Rose
    SS - Alan Trammell
    3B - Ron Santo
    C - Ted Simmons
    LF - Jim Rice
    CF - Joe Jackson
    RF - Andre Dawson
    SP - Bert Blyleven
    SP - Smokey Joe Wood