Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mershon Lincolns, up, up, up, they go...

Where they'll stop nobody knows. Or, do you? Take a guess.

Current set bid as of this A.M. was $549,085.

Jack

Comments

• Options
    Guess somewhere in the 3/4 - 1 Million before the hammer finally falls to finish it off.imageI'm sure Tom Mershon will definitely be pleased. He's going to enjoy himself for a while on this Pay Check and as a hard working blue collar worker he should enjoy every CENT of it. image
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Jack, you including the "varieties" in your calulations?

My excel sheet put the set at $736,731 with juice (summing lot 5297-[1909 VDB DDO] to lot 5447-[1958-D])
    $631,448 with just the "standard" set

No idea if reserves have kicked in yet (too lazy to check)
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I don't think Ira would mind me posting his estimate... 1.4 Mil. But he might be too low! He said $50K for the 09-s vdb and $30K for the 25-s, these are already at $50K and $40K resp last I checked.

I am going to estimate $1.55 mil!
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    The 25-S is the Coin billbe needs to finish his set. Did Tom get his set pedigreed?
  • Options

Brian,

Yes, the holders all have Mershon's name on them. Bill B. needs the 25-S, but he has kind of dropped out of the Lincoln scene. In fact, this will be the second 25-S in 65RD that has been available to him since it became the only one left to complete his (er, Lauren's) set.

SOG,

Just the regular set, as of this A.M. (early).

Jack
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Brian,

What's the deal with the 09-VDB DDO? Still have it?
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Tom Mershon as a hard working blue collar worker ????????

Neither does Tom need or want the money.You do have a good imgination Rabbittracks.

This collection will definitely pass the $1,000,000 mark

Stewart
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just where can one see the auction?

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Stewart, I'm sure that when he started his buisness he didn't start at the top. Unless he had a pile of money that maybe he inherited from someone. You don't get a business with over 300 people working for you from the start unless you have one hell've a backer or lots of cash in the Bank. Usually it takes lots of long days hard working to get things going your way to get where he is today. He definitely is going to enjoy whatever he earned along the way with the sale of his Collection.image

myurl
  • Options
    Watersport here is the Link

myurl
  • Options

<< <i>Brian,

What's the deal with the 09-VDB DDO? Still have it? >>

Yes, I still have it.
  • Options
    "Yes, I still have it."

Since EVERY OTHER MS65RD & Above Is DEFINITELY Entrenched In A Collection - EXCEPT Tom's 66RD - You Might Consider That Strategically The Better Move Might Be To Get Yours Sold BEFORE Tom's 66.

IMHO, more competition among the "play it safe" crowd (of those that still need it and don't want to miss out) than among the "consolation prize" crowd (of those that did miss out on Tom's OR just couldn't afford it).

Of course, I might not know "Jack Schitt" about 1909-VDB DDO's image
  • Options

<< <i><STRONG>"Yes, I still have it."

</STRONG>Since EVERY OTHER MS65RD & Above Is DEFINITELY Entrenched In A Collection - EXCEPT Tom's 66RD - You Might Consider That Strategically The Better Move Might Be To Get Yours Sold BEFORE Tom's 66.

IMHO, more competition among the "play it safe" crowd (of those that still need it and don't want to miss out) than among the "consolation prize" crowd (of those that did miss out on Tom's OR just couldn't afford it).

Of course, I might not know "Jack Schit" about 1909-VDB DDO's image >>

I don't care to sell it for the sake of selling it. You have to remember that I am a collector, and quite enjoy owning the coin. I am interested to see what Mershons 66RD goes for. My 65RD is PQ so I am not worried. The die state is so early you can tell it is in fact a TDO. If someone wants quality I have it.
  • Options
    "I am interested to see what Mershons 66RD goes for."

I predict somewhere in the $3-4k range. Possibly in the upper end of that range. Of course, there MAY be another 65RD on the market when it does sell, further depressing the price.

Remember, the 1st one sold for $3,499. The second one sold for $3,500. The third one sold for $3,000. The fourth one sold for $2,500. & yours only got a high bid of $1,775. Personally I see a somewhat disturbing trend for 65RD's. I think the absolute upper value now is $2,000 & if the buyer of the 66RD is buying it as an upgrade to one of the 65RD's we sold them, then I think even $1,750 would be ambitious - IMHO image

Edited To Add: p.s. Yeah, they sure do go up, up ,up. Love his varieties imageimage
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Boy if I was Tom, I would be really pissed...most of those pictures really suck...in my opinion!!!

morris <><

ps, I thought there was a 53 and 54 in PCGS 67RD up for auction...where are they
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    How much does the Mershon pedigree bring to the auction block, or is each coin's merit the sole determining factor for the final hammer? Mike Sadler's Lincolns in green-label holders brought monster prices. While the coins were outstanding, the prices were out of this world.
  • Options

Yes, the Sadler Lincolns did very well because Mike is a smart chap. He sold them "as is" with no reserve. Many of his coins were bought as possible upgrades (I know, I have two of them). Not that they're mine, but remember the 24-P and 31-S? Those coins were very close and on a special day may grade 67. But, that was his strategy. I believe that these coins have been tried (maybe even more than once). So, the coins will realize great prices because many of them are very nice for the grade. But, I don't think you will see crazy prices that are paid for possible upgrade coins.

As for the pedigree, I think the coins will sell on their own merits. In fact, many of them will go into sets that are or are destined to be better than the Mershon set.

Jack
  • Options
    Jack,
    Well said. The "No Reserve" strategy shows a lot of confidence in one's coins. It certainly worked well for MSadler. He let his quality do the talking!
    YJ
  • Options

<< <i> ps, I thought there was a 53 and 54 in PCGS 67RD up for auction...where are they >>

They were in the last Bowers and Merena auction, the Los Altos collection. Good luck with the 1950-p on ebay! That is way nice!
  • Options

I just reread my post and it sounds like I'm bangin' on Tom. That was not my intent. I just meant to state that Mike's approach to selling his coins worked very well for him. Tom just tried a little different tack.

He's a good guy. I've spoke with him on the phone when he called me, with no benefit for himself, and offered me some extremely valuable advice. I know his set will sell itself and bring him certainly more than he paid for it.

Jack
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> ps, I thought there was a 53 and 54 in PCGS 67RD up for auction...where are they >>

They were in the last Bowers and Merena auction, the Los Altos collection. Good luck with the 1950-p on ebay! That is way nice! >>

Any idea at what all the 1946-1954 Lincolns in 67rd in that sale brought?

morris <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

• Options
  • Options
    ty mon

mo <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

• Options
    Who paid $357 for the 195166RD??? image
  • Options
    Have they broke the 1mil mark w/ the juice yet ??
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options

Looks like the deal went down at about $1.25M give or take a few thousand. That includes lots that may not have sold. I just watched it on ebay and wrote down the final bid.

Lincolns are just too crazy right now.
  • Options