Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Big Die Break on Merc Dime.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
This came today and is one of my never ending quest to see every Merc ever slabbed. To my suprise, which is good in this case, a huge die crack is coming down from the top of her head. I can easily see this with the naked eye and that is saying something for me. This is bigger than the one on my 17D which was the largest I had seen untill today. Maybe this will be a good set to put together.

Does anyone else have a Merc with a bigger Die Crack ?

Getting and finding stuff like this makes the Hobby Fun and Interesting.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen one that large before. Looks cool.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

This 26-D is lame...but here it is anyway. I have a 19-D in grading (again) that rivals yours, times 4...it has like 4 separate/different die cracks. Looks really cool. I'll post pics in about 30 days image

Here's the 26-D:

• Options
    How many more dimes were struck from THAT die before it blew apart? It reminds me of the well-known 1921-D die break running down the front of the neck into the rim. See them often.
  • Options
    dunerlawdunerlaw Posts: 387 ✭✭
    My entry. 1919d merc. AU58 ungraded.
    crack spikes throught the "I" of IN and then splits with one branch going to the bottom of the nose.
    The other branch goes throgh the"O" in GOD and the "ST" in TRUST then down across the tip of the neck and back to the rim.
    There is another big crack half way between the "T" and "Y" of LIBERTY that extends to the back of the head.
    Another crack starts at the crook of the neck, goes across the back of the jaw through the hair into the feathers.
    The coin is heavily toned so the cracks don't show up so good with my poor scanner.