Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is there some grading issues on Mercury Dimes?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Only real issue is the difference between ngc and pcgs..
    other than that,all is ok..
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony needs a chill pill image

Seems there might be a rumble brewing in the camps....Ken & Mike are digging up the evidence and star witnesses.....it ain't just PCGS v/s NGC no moreimage
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    The way to learn how ngc and pcgs grade dimes is to travel around the country for 4-5 years and look at every single dime in every auction.
    If you have a good memory,it is pretty simple.
    When I was doing my morgans,I looked at over 800 pieces at every show..
    after a while,it becomes pretty easy..
    So looking at a few pics won't do it..
    Get to a major show and sit at the heritage table for 8 hours like I do....that is a real learning experience.
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    I just was wondering with all the threads Ken started.

Or....

Maybe I was just trying to be a trouble maker?

In any case, where is my chill pill?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

1930-S (The obverse holder has smudges/marks around 12 o'clock and in the middle of the coin)

imageimage

1930-P (The obverse holder has a masty sractch area by the L i LIBERTY / smudge on reverse on the lower diagonal band area)

imageimage

1920-P (The obverse holder has a mark from 11 to 1 o'clock)

imageimage

1924-S (The obverse holder has a mark around 1 o'clock)

imageimage

1921-P (The obverse holder has a mark around 1 o'clock)

imageimage

1927-D (The obverse holder has some marks around 11 o'clock)

imageimage

1923-S (The obverse holder has some smudge around 12 o'clock)

imageimage

• Options
    OK..you are the expert
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Morning folks. Its 2:45 AM and I am typing a message about Mercury Dimes. What a life.

I have no issue with the difference there is between PCGS and NGC grading of Mercury Dimes at all. My gripe is the difference that PCGS has when grading the Little Ladies. Dimes that are dated before 1934 have a standard and dimes after 1931 have a different standard. To me this is very obvious and all I would like to find out is why this is so.

Let me say this. I do believe PCGS grades the coins before 1934 mostly in a correct manner. Sure they miss on some but thats life. After 1934 I believe they hand out grades that are not warranted and by doing this a perception of drastic under grading apperars to be happening, to dimes before 1934, when a person sends a submission in to them that contains a complete spectrum of the dates. One other item that bothers me is the standard that PCGS uses to consider a coin is fully struck or not fully struck. What date do they use to determine their standard.

I have been on the boards for 4 years now and during this period members in our Merc group and myself have talked about the same subject certainly more than once. More than once a member has had thoughts of getting out of the hobby because of the disgust and the inability to figure out why their dimes were graded like they were. In my mind it was time to say something in a attempt to keep collectors within the hobby. Whether it does any good only time will tell.

Ken

• Options
    Then toss in the key dates, and you find a whole different set of rules. It seems some of the keys get a more lofty grade. Maybe having a lower expectation on my set, it doesn't seem to bother me as much as others. My goal was to have a complete set of uncirculated dimes. I know my budget, and I also know I will never have a "top set." So when aiming for the best coins I could afford, I get some very nice coins that make a great looking set. I do see the difference, and I think my set is pretty well matched.

Now maybe as I upgrade? image

• Options
    Tony here is one just for you. I will guarantee that your 19S is just as nice if not nicer than this coin and probably nicer than 80 to 90 percent of the late dates I have seen slabbed MS67. The question is which coin is graded correctly ? If the 19S is graded correctly then the others have been graded incorrectly and vise/versa. My opinion is that the 19S is right on the money.

Ken
  • Options
  • Options
    Mike ,
    simple solution , have these special people (don't know them myself)
    send in your coins for you
    TIm
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
  • Options
    simple solution , have these special people (don't know them myself)

I was going to say that too ....was waiting for the "right" moment - I felt it would undermine your grading ability and make you more insecure....however the cat is outta the hat so I'll second that as great advice and exactly what you should be doing. Some of these guys have a great eye and will see very much what PCGS will see!

Marc
  • Options
  • Options
    Mike,
    tell me who the special people are, I have some dimes
    I need to send in
    thanks
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,
    tell me who the special people are, I have some dimes
    I need to send in
    thanks
    Tim >>

Yeah, me too!!!!! image
    RAD
  • Options
  • Options
    Ken,

I can understand what you mean on the 19-S. I have even considered sending it in for regrade along with four MS67 later date coins to see how they would handle it. My guess is they would all magically come back the same grade as on the holders. There is no way I would break it out and send it in.

A very long time ago I asked a question on the Q&A board. The question was do they have different standards for type 1 (all 1916 and some 1917) dimes. The answer was no, they use the same set of standards. I don't understand why the standard would be the same on high relief vs. standard relief, but they claim the rules are the same.

Apparently, there are different standards.

Tony

• Options
    I sincerely apologize that my posts might have offended some here -- that was not the intent, however appeared to have been the result.

I am truly sorry.

Regards,
    Mike.

PS. I have deleted my posts (other than the pics).
  • Options

<< <i>I sincerely apologize that my posts might have offended some here -- that was not the intent, however appeared to have been the result.

I am truly sorry.

Regards,
    Mike.

PS. I have deleted my posts (other than the pics). >>

What The Fark !!! All that was going on was a group of Merc Collectors giving their opinions. Geez...maybe all should be like a sheep and follow the herd and never let out a single Bah.

If something was said that was drastically wrong then why was the statement not addressed by the persons or person that thought the statement was wrong ?

I do not think the intent within these threads was to Pee on someones parade. The intent was to just maybe get some answers or reasons why certain coins are graded like they are. Obviously, I guess, this is ground that should not be tread upon.

Fark I say.

Ken
  • Options
    umm what did I miss now ? image

ken ditto

Mike,

clueless here - what's up? someone complained??
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mercateers,

Just a note to let you know I am lurking and thinking of joing the fray again. I'm glad to see some old friends here and some new names too.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    Wayne,

The more the merrier!

• Options

<< <i>Hi Mercateers,

Just a note to let you know I am lurking and thinking of joing the fray again. I'm glad to see some old friends here and some new names too.

Regards,

Wayne >>

Bout time you got back here....image Prices have went nuts so go slow if you can.

Great to hear from you again.

Ken
  • Options
    RADRAD Posts: 287
    "Nuts" is not the word for it.....prices at the last Heritage were incredible!! I had hoped to get a couple of coins that were decent to good for the grade, but they all set 'records or near records' for the particular coin.....I wonder if the consignors 'bought them back' themselves......we'll see if there is any red in the next week or two!! For me....I think I'm going to concentrate on some other sets for a while til things get more reasonable........
    RAD
  • Options
    Rad,
    what dates in the sale were you looking at
    Tim