Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HOLY JESUS- Great house cleaning finds....

OK, so I just got back into collecting after a 10 year absence and went to move some crap out of my mom's house. I thought I had sold almost everything valuable out of my old collection (mostly worthless late 80s-early90s junk) so I didn't really bother going through it until now. Look at all this cool stuff- makes me feel like a kid again.

I always thought this was fake until I compared it to the uncut sigs on ebay today:
Cool Papa Bell

They say he was so fast he would turn off the light switch and be in bed before the lights went out. What about this Yaz bat- is the auto real?

Two cool tickets I found. I went to the first game at Camden yards, and my grandfather gave the other one to me.

Here's an unopened 75 Topps rack with Fred Lynn RC on front.

For all you wrestling fans- autos. I think Big John Stud is deceased, and Ricky "The Dragon" was always my favorite. Anybody remember when the Macho Man Randy Savage broke his Larynx with the referee bell from the top ropes, and they used to show Ricky's "speech lessons" when he tried to regain his voice. "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE". "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"- with a look of frustration on his face. Classic.

I didn't sell this stuff before because it has sentimental value (some my late grandfather gave to me, and the Oriole game I went to), and I don't plan on ever selling it. I can't believe I forgot I owned it.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    nice finds!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    cool wrestling autos...yes, Big John Studd died several years ago.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Cool - the 75 rack is sweet.

Big John died in 1995 - I remember him in the very first Wrestlemania against Andre The Giant. Some sort of bodyslam contest - don't recall who won...
  • Options
    Andre won, then he threw Bobby the brain Heenens money to the crowd. Classic..
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>What about this Yaz bat] - is the auto real? >>

It sure looks like a Yaz signature. Why wouldn't it be real? It's been in a closet for 10 or 15 years ... I presume it was real when you stowed it away?

Nice Cool Papa item!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    By grandfather bought the bat for me because I was always fond of Yaz, but it was during the time when auto forgery was becoming a big problem. I always thought it was real but never knew for sure.

Lee
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Lee - nice find! The '75 rack pack is sweet. Why can't I find stuff like this?
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Lee
    The 1942 WS ticket stub is absolutely cool and a keeper! Looks in pretty good shape too.

I think you did great on your house cleaning - I have been procrastinating the finish of cleaning up my side of the closet. I don't think I have any surprises like that but ya never know?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeping in the same thread
    I was looking for some cards and found this box of 68F Iron-ons....not in great shape and the packs look like they have been "over handled" - now, there's no incentive to repack this stuff - just very old in a modern sense. Now, there is some 37 year old gum in those packs!

I also found this McDonald's chicken nugget box from 1997 with Hill on the top - Barkley on the side.
    I said I was a pack rat!

mike

And my favorite SLU - Griffey Jr. RC figure

Mike
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Great story! Thanks for sharing, If you ever consider selling or trading the BJS auto, I could use it for my WWE Hall Of Fame auto collection. One day I will get an Andre The Giant autograph. By all acounts he signed for everyone who asked but I can't find oneimage
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Man, this cracks me up. How much stuff do you own? I can't imagine forgetting I owned stuff this cool.

Anyway, congrats on a great find!
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Speaking of wrestling, It made me go through a box of my old Army stuff today. I found two programs that i still have that were auto'd by Ric Flair back in 1980 when he was wrestling in Columbus, GA. My army buddies and i would go down every wednesday night to watch the matches. Along with Ric's auto, i found Abdullah The Butcher, Tony Atlas (could bench 600 pds) autos on the program. I'll say one thing, the chain link matches i saw were not fake. I saw alot of faces going into those fences around the ring. AAHHH what memories!!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Off-topic post for me, but Tony Atlas witnessed Bruiser Brody's murder while in Mexico wrestling. Tony was so scared for his life, he chose NOT to testify against the attackers.

Mexico must have some serious wrestling fans.

Julen
    ______
    Collecting:
    1980 Topps: Over 4,000 cards from vending and wax boxes awaiting a giant bonfire
    1969 Topps: Master # 1 1
    1987 Kraft Dinners Home Plate Heroes
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    wufdudewufdude Posts: 356
    If you haven't read it yet, you should read Ric Flair's "To Be the Man". Great book if you enjoyed wrestling back when it was "real".

I've got a napkin with Ric Flair's and Ricky Steamboat's autographs on it. My parents saw them together at Myrtle Beach in the late 70s when they were big rivals! As an 8 year old then, I could never figure out why they were out together when on Saturday nights on WRAL they were ready to kill each other....
  • Options
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>If you haven't read it yet, you should read Ric Flair's "To Be the Man". Great book if you enjoyed wrestling back when it was "real". >>

Wrestling was "real" when Ric Flair was doing it? image It wasn't even "real" back in the days of Chief Jay Strongbow.

The only 100% real wrestling on TV is the chicks in lingerie. (Hey, if I'm gonna fantasize about wrestlers I'm gonna make it worth my while.)
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭

< I also found this McDonald's chicken nugget box from 1997 with Hill on the top - Barkley on the side. >

Hey Mike, That box looks mint! Are the nuggets inside mint also? image

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    ^^ Hey, I forgot to add the wink to my post!image

Wrestling back then was at least wrestling and not a soap opera...