Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Honus Wagner T206 PSA 2 on Mastronet

Did this go for only $205,000 on Mastronet's recent auction? I though Honus Wagners went for a lot more.

Comments

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    $205,831 + 15% = $236,705.65

• Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    That's about right for a low grade example. If you're thinking they all sell for a million dollars, no that was just the PSA 8 that Gretkzy owned at one point in time (not sure if he still does).
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    no it was sold, remember it was slabbed as the Gretzky/forgot the other guys name Wagner.
  • Options
    Gretzky/Mcneil...........I think.image
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    McNall, as in Bruce McNall, whose name is typically used in conjunction with the adjective disgraced. I think he ended up doing time for some type of fianancial fraud.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭

<< <i>only $205,000 >>

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    This Cobb has to be one of the highest prices paid for a card, no?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    The "Gretzky" Wagner went for over 1 mill. last time I saw. Actually it was sold to Walmart who gave it away and if memory serves me right, that person sold it for $600,000+ to someone, who then sold it for the over $1 million price.

Stingray
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as a matter of fact:
    Brian Seigle owns the card right now - he bought it in 2000. Gretsky and McNall bought it in 1991 for about 500 grand. As was said, Pat Gibbs, a postal worker won the card and put up for auction at Christies in 1996 when Mike Gidwitz bought the card for like 650 grand. The rest is history.

Seigle paid about 1.3 million!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

Let me preface with - I am a PSA collector - I just wanted opinions on the "corner" wear on this card. The general shape of the corners is not consistent with honest wear IMO - some corners almost appear to be trimmed? Especially the upper right corner?

I would like some opinions?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    For comparison, Leland's sold this beauty for $101,410 (including the buyer's fee) in December:

T206 Wagner PSA 1

It's a pretty rough card, but still 1/2 the price of the PSA 2.
  • Options
    edit: placed in wrong place

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Thanks for the scan, I was too lazy to find the site myself.

Looking at that one, the Leland's PSA 1 (see a few posts earlier) looks like a great deal.

A few comments: I am also a PSA collector. I own 12 PSA 2 cards (all 1952 Topps), and NONE of them have corners have even 1 corner that looks like those 4 (trimmed or not).

In regards to the corners, I can't tell for sure if they're "trimmed" or not. Maybe I was dreaming, but I swear that I've seen PSA graded cards that clearly had the corners cut on a 45 degree angle (these were PSA 1's).

Admittedly, I struggle with this a little bit. Obviously, I think trimming a card to make it "Mint" is wrong. But for some reason, when it comes to low grade cards, it doesn't seem to matter to me if the corners are clipped. I wouldn't consider this a "doctored" card, especially if it was from someone who did not know any better. I know, how can you tell the "trimmer's" intent?

Finally, one of my biggest (and one of my few) issues with PSA is the wide range of conditions that comprise a PSA 1 (and even a PSA 2) card. Basically, anything that's authentic is going to get a 1, whether it's been on the bicycle spokes or not. I think SGC (with their "1.5" or SGC 20 grade) and even BVG (with their 1/2 grades and 4 sub-grades) have the advantage on the super low grade cards.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Gretzky" Wagner

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    This card has to be one of the coolest looking cards out there,Cobb just looks pissed off and about to hit someone with his bat.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    the PSA 2 Wagner clearly looks trimmed to me. I can't imagine how PSA thinks otherwise.

GG
  • Options
    >>This card has to be one of the coolest looking cards out there,Cobb just looks pissed off and about to hit someone with his bat.

Yes he does, although the red lipstick reduces some of Ty's fear factor.
  • Options

<< <i>Let me preface with - I am a PSA collector - I just wanted opinions on the "corner" wear on this card. The general shape of the corners is not consistent with honest wear IMO - some corners almost appear to be trimmed? Especially the upper right corner? >>

That was my first though when I saw the card as well. Perhaps given the standard card-handling practices in the 1910s (gluing or taping cards into albums was common), corner trimming from that era is still considered "honest" wear?

Edited to add: That is one kick-ass Cobb!
  • Options
    The Cobb card is an all-time classic. An absolutely stunning card with great eye appeal.
  • Options
    I dont think it was trimmed, at least in the modern way that we look at trimming, it does look maybe clipped at some time, but it could have been 50 years ago for all we know.

I would rather have this card than the one in lelands. They both have significant corner wear but the PSA 2 doesnt have those horrible creases across his face.
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>I dont think it was trimmed, at least in the modern way that we look at trimming, it does look maybe clipped at some time, but it could have been 50 years ago for all we know.

I would rather have this card than the one in lelands. They both have significant corner wear but the PSA 2 doesnt have those horrible creases across his face. >>

Agreed, but of course couldn't afford either. I can see the surface condition of the PSA 1 entering into the price difference.

Maybe I would buy the Cracker Jack instead of the T206 PSA 1.

As for the corners - clipped long ago and worn since then, hopefully. We all hate to think that someone would trim and then purposely create "vintage" wear.
  • Options
    DavinoDavino Posts: 333

<< <i>The "Gretzky" Wagner

image >>

Trimmed, also.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The "Gretzky" Wagner

image >>

Trimmed, also. >>

Davino
    That was the prevailing thought by a lot of people on the floor in 1992 at the National when it was on display if memory serves. I did see the card in person but wasn't thinking about trimmed cards back then. I only heard about it later.
    Who knows?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

That one sold in 2001 on MastroNet for $86,730
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Trimmed, also.
    >>

Entire chat boards have been shut down on the threats to those that dared say that.
    Where is Elliot Spitzer when we need him?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    The Wagner has such hobby allure that it doesnt really matter what chatboards have to say.

PSA says the card is real, Mastro bought it and they thought it was good, every single owner who has actually held the card in the PSA and outside of it says its unaltered.

SGC and GAI would say its real as well if they had the opportunity have this card slabed by them.

At this point its meaningless to say otherwise, the card might as well always been real, nobody that matters will say that this card was trimmed.

A lot of network54 guys simply can not go one day without saying something just hateful against PSA and this card represents the holy grail of slabed cards, they just love to whine about. Except for a few posters that site its just a "bash PSA" forum when it comes to intelligent discussions about the grading industry.

Groucho Marx
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    all these bright white bordered CJs of the past two years
    sure seem bleached or whitened to me.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Ty Cobb, WAS, IS, and ALWAYS, will be "The Greatest"! "Your'e the man, Ty !
    Adam J. Moraine
  • Options
    The card was on display this year at the National also, I am no T206 expert, but it looked fine to me.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>Ty Cobb, WAS, IS, and ALWAYS, will be "The Greatest"! "Your'e the man, Ty ! >>

WTF?

Your'e the man, Ty ?????
  • Options

Honus ??????
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    Yes, PSA regularly overlooks trimmed corners on $100K+ cards. It's a shame the graders aren't as diligent and smart as message board posters looking at scans on their computers... ;-)

That said, I don't understand how anything looking like either the 1 or 2 can be deemed anything other than "authentic". I think when you get into cards with bites taken (trimmed!) from them, all bets are off as far as relative grades. How can you compare? It's literally less of a card. What if the corners were still there and they were stained and full of pin holes and tape marks. Would that make it ungradable? It just doesn't seem to make sense. 1-10 has to be a relative scale, and relative's got to be relative to something...and to me, it's got to start with a complete and full card.