Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out this 1909-S VDB PCGS MS67RD

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
Check out this 1909-S VDB PCGS MS67RD. I remember seeing one priced at $15,000 around 1999 and thinking how insanely expensive that was despite the grade.

I see this one has already been bid up to $40,000+. Oh if only I had a second chance.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

  • Options
    This could be your second chance. image
    And posted earlier.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Watch the prices on the ms67rd 14-p, and say 65rd 20-s. I remember Stewart saying he paid something like $2000 for those dates in the same grade back in the early 90's. $2000! I could have even afforded that!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember one about four years ago for $25,000. image

    David
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

    I still own two of them.

    stewart
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't figure out from the Heritage pics if the 1909-S VDB cent is full red or closer to a brown/red. Any thoughts on that?

    Stew, sounds like you are looking to dispose of one of them when you used the term "still." Am I reading you right?

    Not looking for one of them just to clarify my intent. Just to learn.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Oreville - I do not dispose of anything from my collection.Occasionally I place coins in collections of collectors
    who are far enough along to appreciate the coins as much as me.
    Sometimes I am right and occasionally I am wrong.I have placed several coins in the Tom Mershon collection through an intermdiary.
    I did view this 1909 s VDB in ms 67 red and it is gold in color.It is not cherry red nor brown at all.In fact I think it is a nice coin.The only disturbance on the coin is a weakly impressed VDB on the reverse which was caused from stacking after manufacture.

    Stewart
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stew: Indeed...."dispose" was not the right word. A poor choice of terminology indeed. No offense meant.

    I did too many tax returns until yesterday this year and they all started to look like "disposing them!" image

    Stew: One other thing which I did not understand:

    You said

    << <i>.........weakly impressed VDB on the reverse which was caused from stacking after manufacture. >>



    I am not following you on this point. Could you clarify? I do not know much about the VDB part. I would like to learn.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I am not following you on this point. Could you clarify? I do not know much about the VDB part. I would like to learn. >>


    A question I also would like answered. I understand that the V.D.B. (including the periods in between) are often weakly struck. However, I always assumed that this portion of the die would get clogged with grease similar to the 1922-weak D.

    How is it that stacking causes this?

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Oreville,
    The VDB on the reverse of a mint state 1909 VDB cent as well as an S VDB are as high and sometimes higher than the rim.When the planchet got struck the VDB did not get fully impressed and it looks a bit scratchy.
    If you can obtain a proof specimen of a 1909 VDB you will find the wire rim is higher than the VDB and the VDB is ALWAYS crisply impressed.

    Stewart

    Shamika - The weakly impressed VDB has nothing to do with grease in my opinion.
  • Options

    Today, Jan 15, 2023, a 1909 S VDB MS67RD sold for $307,000 at auction. ($345,375 with Buyer's Fee). There are only 15 of this grade certified at PCGS. I believe this is a new record for that item.

  • Options

    I should have said that 1909 S VDB MS67RD that sold for $307,000 was at a Great Collections auction. It was Item #1272808 in case anyone is interested. Amazing how much that coin at that highest grade has appreciated over last few years. PCGS lists it at $140,000 today.

  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I wonder which of the two sold tonight.

    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 11:55PM

    @Proudpapa said:
    Today, Jan 15, 2023, a 1909 S VDB MS67RD sold for $307,000 at auction. ($345,375 with Buyer's Fee). There are only 15 of this grade certified at PCGS. I believe this is a new record for that item.

    Not surprised. That was Stewart Blay’s.

  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I wonder how many of the 67's Andy made...

  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I remember, at a PCGS Vegas show, a S. Cal dealer had a full roll of Red 09svdb's graded in walkthrough. Said they were from a client of his shop (not sure who owned them, him or the client). I was at the table when they came out of grading and watched him open the boxes and we all marveled at the grades. Many MS67's and I spent the whole afternoon drooling all over myself.
    bob :)

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Shamika said:
    Check out this 1909-S VDB PCGS MS67RD. I remember seeing one priced at $15,000 around 1999 and thinking how insanely expensive that was despite the grade.

    I see this one has already been bid up to $40,000+. Oh if only I had a second chance.

    About that time (late '90's) you could find Red examples of the 1909-S VDB in PCGS holders for:
    65: $1,500
    66: $3,000
    67: $15,000

    I saw all of these on the bourse in Long Beach. I thought $3000 for an MS66 RED was way too much.

  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rays said:

    @Shamika said:
    Check out this 1909-S VDB PCGS MS67RD. I remember seeing one priced at $15,000 around 1999 and thinking how insanely expensive that was despite the grade.

    I see this one has already been bid up to $40,000+. Oh if only I had a second chance.

    About that time (late '90's) you could find Red examples of the 1909-S VDB in PCGS holders for:
    65: $1,500
    66: $3,000
    67: $15,000

    I saw all of these on the bourse in Long Beach. I thought $3000 for an MS66 RED was way too much.

    What year was that?

  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rays said:

    I thought $3000 for an MS66 RED was way too much.

    It probably should be :D
    But, alas, the demand is always driving the supply

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭

    @robec said:

    @Proudpapa said:
    Today, Jan 15, 2023, a 1909 S VDB MS67RD sold for $307,000 at auction. ($345,375 with Buyer's Fee). There are only 15 of this grade certified at PCGS. I believe this is a new record for that item.

    Not surprised. That was Stewart Blay’s.

    I wonder why 15 coins graded is called only 15. Seems a lot for a MS 67 ultra expensive coin. I would use ONLY for a few graded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file