Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

PRO Grading

Last year I purchased a PRO graded 1954 Parkhurst #41 Gordie Howe 8.5. As soon as I received the card I sent it in to PSA to get regraded to PSA standards Because I have a set registered with PSA. PSA returned the card saying there was evidence of trim and would not grade it. Last month I sent the card back to PRO with their original label 'PRO 8.5' for regrading. After a month the card returns in the mail ungraded. They wouldn't even return the original PRO graded label. The reason, 'evidence of trim'. After a fruitless phone call to PRO grading, I want all to know that PRO is 2nd class grading service and I would not accept any of their grades. ALL BUYERS BEWARE.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up.
    SinibobCards@aol.com

Working on 56T BB and 80T BB
    Looking to trade blocks of BB graded commons for other blocks of BB commons

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/sinibobcards/othersets/3205

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sinibobsystems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    j4664s -- If you'd come to these boards before buying a PRO card, we could have saved you some grief. PRO grades the cards that the legitimate grading companies won't. Most cards in PRO holders were already rejected as fake or trimmed by one or more of PSA, SGC, or GAI. That's why they were sent to PRO. Now you know.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Saying that PRO is a second class grading outfit gives them too much credit. They are con men - who have disguised themselves as a legitimate business. I wouldn't trust ANYTHING that is in a PRO holder. Word of advice, I'd call the better business burea in the state they are located and file a complaint.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Most cards in PRO holders were already rejected as fake or trimmed by one or more of PSA, SGC, or GAI. >>

Without a doubt most PRO graded cards have been trimmed, but I have not heard or have read anything that says PRO grades FAKE cards.

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I am angry enough to do just that. Thanks.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Most cards in PRO holders were already rejected as fake or trimmed by one or more of PSA, SGC, or GAI. >>

Without a doubt most PRO graded cards have been trimmed, but I have not heard or have read anything that says PRO grades FAKE cards.

image >>

Wasn't there a thread a while back saying that PRO was grading fake Gretzky OPC rookies? I know I've heard that before but can't remember where. I had a similiar experience w/ PRO where I submitted 5 1950's stars that were PRO graded and all were returned as Evidence of Trimming. I had even cracked the cards out of the holders - so PSA had no idea they were originally in PRO holders. PRO should be driven out of business.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Has PRO Always been noted for grading trimmed cards and do you think there is a chance there may be some "real" cards out there graded by them? I'm dork...but I bought a PRO 8 1970 JOhnny Bench Many years ago...I just wonder if mine may not be a trim job or if it is a lesson learned.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Has PRO Always been noted for grading trimmed cards >>>

Yes - always been noted but newbies on ebay sometimes don't find this out for awhile. Some may buy a bunch of cards and stick them in their safe deposit box and still don't know. That's what perpetuates it - the constant flow of newbies on ebay getting ripped off.

<<< and do you think there is a chance there may be some "real" cards out there graded by them? >>>

Sorry to say since you bought the card - very, VERY slim chance. I have never heard yet of a Pro-Graded card being able to get into a PSA holder, although there probably is that slim chance that the card wasn't trimmed - but not likely.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    In spite of the fact that PRO grades trimmed cards there is a market for their cards besides the "SCAM the NEWBIE" market.

I knew I was buying a trimmed vintage Mantle (59 Topps, PRO graded 8.5) when I bought it, but I got it at a fraction of the price. ($208 on EBAY)
    Except for it being trimmed it is a GORGEOUS card.

Yes i would rather have a PSA 7 or 8 but I cannot afford to spend $475-$550 for the 7 and forget about the 8 ($1750+)

Even PSA 6's run in the $350 range.

Heck......its a gorgeous card of a vintage Mantle .................wtf

Years from now when I sell it I will get my money back +.................and I will even let everyone know that it is trimmed.

Taking the analogy to the extreme...........Whould any of us here not accept a trimmed T206 Wagner card?
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I made a mistake and purchased a PRO card three years ago. The color and centering is awesome. Why would someone devalue a nice card like that to put it in a less than desirable holder? It must be the lure of the newbie. The card does, however, fit very tight in the holder. Does anyone else with a PRO card notice a tight fit? They may even have undersized holders to slab the trimmed cards.

Has anyone actually had a PRO card slabbed by PSA the was not evidence of trim?

CoachTom
    Always interested in Hank Aaron items-currently buying Aaron OPC singles or lots-graded or raw.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Taking the analogy to the extreme...........Whould any of us here not accept a trimmed T206 Wagner card? >>

Especially when they will turn around and grade it a 2!

Still upsets me!
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    I've owned one pro card, 1971 Kellogg's Bob Gibson. Sucessfully crossed it over to PSA 8 by cracking and submitting.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    ranarana Posts: 242
    I bought one PRO card for kicks and to test what everyone else said. When I cracked it from the case, it was obviously very short and thus trimmed.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I have never owned a PRO card, and plan to keep it that way.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I got a PRO 6 in a lot of cards I bought- cracked it and it came back PSA 5.
    I don't think I"d be so lucky twice.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I don't think a non-trimmed card will even fit in a PRO holder. image

That reminds me: Remember that college kid who pretended he'd made $1.5 million by age 15 and was starting a kitchen-table (or dorm table) "grading" service? He had only one size slab, and he was trimming and even scrunching up pre-1957 cards just to make them fit. It was both funny and painful to watch. Pretty pathetic when you make even PRO look good.
  • Options
    I have posted on this before, but worth a reminder, watch out for cards graded by Gem Grading as well. I bought some 1984 Clemens Pawtucket cards graded Gem Elite 10 and when I submitted to PSA all came back as counterfeits. If you check their web site (gemgrading.net) they even publish a disclaimer that they do not guarantee authenticity!!! There are several dealers who seem to sell Gem graded cards exclusively, and also seem to change their ID's regularly. Of course eBay won't do anything about it.
  • Options
    Really is PRO still in business I have not seen anything in hockey from them lately. You would think that people willing to spend 300 plus dollars on a card would be compelled to spend some time to research in order to establish credility of grading companies.
    love to buy sell or trade graded hockey stars only, please to meet you and happy collecting