Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What's the purpose of this...

The current 5th ATF set appears to have been deleted.

So why leave the set hidden? image

Dan

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't sets that make the top five stay until there is a better set to take there place? That's for the all time lisgt only. As for hidden that is the choice of the owner.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't sets that make the top five stay until there is a better set to take there place? That's for the all time lisgt only. As for hidden that is the choice of the owner. >>

LInedad,
    You are right, they do stay in place, until a better set outranks them, as least numerically.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I find it odd that a retired set remains closed. Perhaps the owner forgot to open it.

Dan
  • Options
    mademanmademan Posts: 431 ✭✭
    I have a question if you please- When I see a collection such as the one you referenced and you cannot click it open what does that mean. You mentioned the term "closed"I would appreciate any info about these-thanks my good friends. Don/mm
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Don,

One reason is to keep coins needed to complete the set a secret. If someone knows you need a specific coin, they may buy it and try to run the price up. Also, dealers have been known to jack up the price of a coin, knowing you need it. This happens mainly with higher priced/low population coins. This would also be done if you have a complete set, but you want to "upgrade" a date or two and don't want anyone to know what you need.

Another reason would be to keep someone from buying a coin you need, just to keep you from getting it.

There are also the those who prefer to show off a "completed" set, rather than a set in progress.

Dan