Home Autographs Forum
Options

RARE CAST - UPDATED - Lifeboat FORGOTTEN CAST MEMBER ADDED

Hi All,

-The William Bendix was added- I can't believe I forgot it image

here is a collection consisting of an original still from the 1944 release of Lifeboat, and the signatures of the main cast. They are mostly signed candids from the 1950's with a few cuts and a portrait. It is no coincidence they are all signed within a few years of the film - this is true of all the items in my collection. The missing cast member is the nurse played by Mary Anderson who is strongly collected in vintage form for her role in Gone with the Wind. Also missing is Heather Angel, but as she drowns herself in the first minutes of the film I have not sought her actively.

Best,
Billy

Original vintage glossy b/w studio embossed and Danish censur-stamped (1949) heavyweight full cast still from "Lifeboat", struck either for the 1944 US release or the 1949 Danish release (Sept, 2nd)

Tallulah Bankhead - vintage inscribed signed photograph, blue fountain pen, c. 1945

William Bendix - vintage signed original candid glossy b/w photograph, red fountain pen, 1952, from the Mark Jorgenson Collection of Theatre Candids

John Hodiak - vintage signed original candid glossy b/w photograph, black fountain pen, c. 1952, from the Francis Zane collection

Walter Slezak - vintage signed original candid glossy b/w photograph, blue ball-point pen, c. 1952, from the Francis Zane collection

Hume Cronyn - vintage cut signature on Players Directory, black fountain pen, c. 1947, from the Francis Zane collection

Canada Lee - vintage signed handbill from “Native Son”, with ticket stub, black fountain pen, 4/18/42

Henry Hull - vintage inscribed signed card, blue fountain pen, 12/17/33

Comments

• Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    billy do you have any hitchc**k sigs? how much would an authentic run?
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options

<< <i>billy do you have any hitchc**k sigs? how much would an authentic run? >>

Hi,
    I do not have a Hitch SIG - he is frequently forged. He lists at least $275 for just a cut SIG, $600 or so for a DS or LS, around $650 for an ALS and the same or more for an SP. His famous sketch goes for $700 to $900 or so. There is a bit of variation in prices. Recent results at auctions are on the rise especially for self-portrait sketches.

Best and thanks,
    Billy image
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    billy have any rod serling or frank sinatra sigs to post? i'd imagine the serling would be a difficult find...but he and hitch definitely had imagination.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Magicman - awesome. Lifeboat is a classic, awesome cast and your auto's are unreal. Thanks for sharing.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>Magicman - awesome. Lifeboat is a classic, awesome cast and your auto's are unreal. Thanks for sharing. >>

Hi image

That makes my day image

Best,
    Billy
  • Options
    Hi All,

I can't belive it, but I forgot to upload one of the key cast members in this Lifeboat cast thread! He is pretty scarce, but in this form - a signed candid, he is not common at all. The guy who got them worked in a Theatre often visited by stars and took these candids, had them developed with the little white box, and then kept themn until the star returned and then he got them signed. The collection was staggering - Bogart, Rennie, Barry Fitzgerald etc! image This is the only one I got image but it is not too bad image I really prefer signed candids to portraits even though they often are worth more due to size, but the candids have the virtue of being unique image

William Bendix - vintage signed original candid glossy b/w photograph, red fountain pen, 1952, from the Mark Jorgenson Collection of Theatre Candids

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I thought somebody was missing, but could not put my finger on who it was. Looking back on your original post - there he is - clear as day. Bendix was neat - he played Babe Ruth, and I grew up watching re-reruns of "Life Of Riley."
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...