Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

64 Giants PSA 10's

what do you 64 Giants collectors make of the doubling of spahn psa 10's (to 10) over the past few months? There seems to be some sentiment for a limited amount of high-end raw left out there from the set but you wouldn't know it from this card. the spahn has one of the highest total pops in the set, so the # of 10s isn't necessarily out of whack with rest of the set. But that would also argue for many more gems out there to be graded ...

Comments

• Options
    hello, topps 64 Giants collectors ...
  • Options
    I, on one hand, believe there must be a lot of raw mint Giants out there, but, on the other hand, you just dont see them that often.

In fact, if there are so many thousands of great raw cards out there, where are they? I find it hard to believe that someone is sitting on the first Mantle, Aaron, Clemente or Koufax that would be graded a 10.

One thing I have never seen is an uncut sheet of Topps Giants. I would believe that would hold a huge clue as to why certain cards (Spahn, F. Robby, Kaline, etc.) are in huge supply in mint form and why other cards (Boyer, Romano, Brinkman, Gonzales, etc.) are in such short supply in Mint form and always seem to be off-centered. This might also help explain why there have only been about 3 new 1 of 1 10's graded over the past couple of years? (Gemmintman please help me out here if it was longer).

If anyone has ever seen an uncut sheet, let me know.
  • Options
    good points, keith. uncut sheets may indeed hold some clues. I've followed this set pretty closely over the last couple of years years and love it.
    In terms of getting cash back on investment on the high-end, high-dollar cards, however, I do think the jury is still out. while there are some well-established centering issues with several cards in the set, there are also a high number of 9-10 grades for several cards relative to the total graded for each. And many of the cards on a percentage basis have fewer 10s relative to total graded that the spahn and robinson cards, which certainly makes me wonder what the numbers would look like if a few hundred more of those cards were graded.
    I noticed a definite uptick in Yaz psa 9's a year or so ago when that card was regularly selling for $200 or more (now it sells for less than half that)
    While I don't think anyone was sitting on those cards waiting to flood the market, I do think the consistent prices provided the motivation to boost submissions. Perhaps we'll continue to see that in other isolated cases.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭✭
    I also think the lack of some 8's and lower are due to the high grading costs for these cards. I have many cards I would submit to PSA with a $5 special but I am not paying their much higher normal prices for "tallboys".

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

<< <i>I find it hard to believe that someone is sitting on the first Mantle, Aaron, Clemente or Koufax that would be graded a 10. >>

Me too Cubfan. Some of the cards are in great mint supply like the Spahn, and others are in terrible condition like Boyer for example. I would love to see an uncut sheet to help answer some questions, but I have never seen a single example of one.

This might also help explain why there have only been about 3 new 1 of 1 10's graded over the past couple of years? (Gemmintman please help me out here if it was longer).

Yes, maybe 4 new 1 of 1 10's in two years or so.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys, I seem to remember back in the mid 1990's a vending case/box was listed in SCD for around $1,200.00. I am a single player collector (Harmon Killebrew) and didn't (and still don't) have that kind of money. But I remember thinking that with the set being small there would probably be a lot of nice Killebrew's in there. At the time raw Killebrew's were worth about $4.00, but I couldn't find a mint one.

A year and a half ago I picked up a PSA 8 on eBay that was very well centered and felt lucky to have found it. Now I have noticed that 8's are relatively easy to find and even picked up a 9 for around $50.00!

I have been wondering if these are the cards from that SCD and if the buyer is wisely getting them into the market at a slow pace in order to make back his investment while not "flooding the market".image
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Ok, so what do you experts think that THIS ONE will end up selling for?

• Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    One million dollars?
  • Options
    In the $250 range, I'd guess, maybe higher if buyer hasn't checked pop. report. a year ago they went for $600. Still a HOF'er gem many collectors would love to have.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I guarantee the buyer checked the pop report, as did the underbidder. Nice card regardless of the pop.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Nice grab Anthony. That should put you up and over the 9.00 mark. Congratulations !!!!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Thanks- I just wish I could find the last 2 I need in 9!
    Puts me at 9.02, it may be easier to find 10's at this point.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    another lesson in the benefits of waiting for the market to settle ... nice card at a price I sure wish I'd gotten mine for. congrats!