Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

91 Topps Desert Shield Pack break results.....

I broke down and bought 14 packs of 91 Topps Desert Shield to break hoping for a Ripken, Murray, or Chipper for my collection- I plan to sell the rest, grading the stars, semis, RCs, and anything with a shot at a 9. Mathematically, I thought I could do ok on this one at $50 per pack delivered from a reputable guy. If the condition of the cards was shoddy after the first couple packs, I was going to cut my losses and sell the rest unopened. If the cards looked nice (avg. PSA 8 or better), I would crack them all and follow through with my plan. The way I figure, the going rate for commons is $1 per, so even with god-awful luck, I'd be getting at least $15 out of every pack. If the average was two semis in with one at least a PSA 8 per pack, that pack is pretty much paid for. Anything on top of that is gravy- If I do worse, then I don't get totally killed. My goal was to get one, two or all three cards I wanted, and break even on the rest.

Results: The overall condition of the cards is PSA 8, with about 10% PSA 9 and 20-25% PSA 7- could be better, could be worse, but it's about what I expected. I don't see any potential 10s in here.

HOFers/Superstars: Ryan RB, McGwire, Maddux, R.Johnson, Mattingly, Molitor, Ozzie, Henderson AS, Murray AS, F.Thomas x2, Puckett, Fisk RB x2, R.Alomar, L.Walker

RCs: Everett, Alvarez

Stars/semis: Larkin, Grace, Lasorda, Olerud, Bichette x2, F.Robinson MGR, Matt Williams AS, D.Stewart, D.Evans, Parker, Baines, Lynn, Surhoff

Conclusion: I certainly could have done better- I didn't pull any of the guaranteed $100+ cards (Ryan, Ripken, Chipper, Bonds), but I did average a little over one HOFer/star per pack. Unfortuantely, no keepers for me. After grading, assuming everything averages out to an 8 with no 9s for any of the big cards (Ryan RB, Maddux, Randy) I think it's looking like I may lose a few bucks. Still, it was the first time I've had a chance to break any of these and I had fun. If anybody has any wantlists for commons, I'm selling them at $1 per delivered. Anybody know why they didn't stamp the checklists?

Lee

Comments

• Options

HOOAH!!!

Please email me your addy.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Well, the Johnson and Maddux each sold for over a $100 recently, but these were PSA 9 examples though.
  • Options
    Lee,

No room for the stamp on the checklist.

Anyone selling any un open packs, please email me!

A PSA 10 1991 TOPPS Desert Shield Baseball Barry Bond's card sold for $809.00 the other night. It's not a good time to sell commons on ebay. There are too many PSA cards selling right now.

Who ever brought those cards for 100.00 is crazy!
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I might be interested in the Ryan RB if it would be an upgrade. I have it an 8 holder now. It presents a lot nicer than my #1 Ryan card, which is really faded (from being in the window of a shop I'm assuming).
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    mud,
    I'm thinking a low end PSA 8 on this Ryan. Probably not an upgrade from what you have.

Lee
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, if you would like to check out my ebay auctions CLICK HERE, I am currently selling 11 PSA Graded Desert Shield cards. I normally don't post advertisements for my auctions, but I felt it was appropriate to do it in this forum. I promise this is the only time! image