Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Found! 1993-D Roosevelt with Full Bands!

One of the highlights of my aquisitions at the Milwaukee show April 1st was a 1993-D Roosie with absolute/ no question FB's. This is one
of the rarest clads to find fully struck.

The PCGS pop report only shows 4 coins, and I see that none of the top three clad FB sets have a FB example.

It will only grade most probably MS65FB, although it could

conceiveably get an MS66 or even an MS64... you know how that goes!

At any grade, it was an exciting find! I will post the grade in

about a month.image
"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
and they're cold.
I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
Mary

Best Franklin Website

Comments

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Nice
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    If it's a true full band, that will be a great score. Fred
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find. Can you share any details about where or how you found it?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    It was in a dealers box of 2x2 clad dimes. There were several other FB dimes( 88-D, 2 94-P's) none of which were high grade.

Also picked up a small group of clad Roosie toners. All with same gorgeous tone but not FB. I submitted the best of them for grading becuase the toning was as attractive as I 've ever seen on clads. Looked like they were probably in some sort of album for some years. The 69-D and 93-D in this group of toners were sooo pretty. I surely paid thru the arse for them and now sunk grading fees into them as well, so I will not likely profit from them, but they are truly beautiful and some collector will love them should I decide to part with them.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bushmaster8,

I too made a 1993-D MS66FB and had actually bought the coin in a 2 x 2 for $0.35. The pop was 1 = 66FB and 1 = 67FB, so mine made the pop (2/1). I sold it for a hugh profit thinking that if I could make 1 I could make another...boy, that has not turned out well!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I too made a 1993-D MS66FB and had actually bought the coin in a 2 x 2 for $0.35. The pop was 1 = 66FB and 1 = 67FB, so mine made the pop (2/1). I sold it for a hugh profit thinking that if I could make 1 I could make another...boy, that has not turned out well! >>

Of course you made a profit when you sold it Paul.. You only paid $.35 for it. Not much room for a loss there.. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Paul,
    I told ya you should have went to MWKEE...you could have beat me to the punch!

I guess maybe I paid too much... this one was $.65
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Paul could the 93-D 66FB I have in my set have been the one you made?? 50/50 chance, since there are only 2 in that grade.
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>Paul,
    I told ya you should have went to MWKEE...you could have beat me to the punch!

I guess maybe I paid too much... this one was $.65 >>

Ow!!! That's going to really limit the percentage gain in the coin.

...but at least it won't eat into the profit by much. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Paul could the 93-D 66FB I have in my set have been the one you made?? 50/50 chance, since there are only 2 in that grade. >>

I don't think so. I sold mine on eBay last year.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Mine was a gift from a friend. I have no idea where he came across it. Dan.
    I'm still looking Fred, always looking for your dimes. image)
    Dan
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Mazel Tov!image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Well, it's whining time!

Not really a whine, but I am disgusted!image

The 93-D came back MS64 no-bands! Someday, PCGS will stop making such blatant errors (In your dreams!).

There is absolutely no possible way this coin does not meet the PCGS criteria for Full Bands. I know the series and I know what a FB coin looka like. This one is deeply separated from field to field. No weakness whatsoever in any of the usual areas.

Pitifully poor quality control. Piss on PCGS. This coin will now go to NGC. Yes, it even meets their far more stringent FB criteria! It WILL be the first and only FB 93-D graded by NGC!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand your frustration, by why not have David Hall review it first?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    There has been little or no movement in any of the pops in FB for Clad Roosies. The only exception is a 1973-D MS67FB (6/0) and thats it as far as I know.

Too many FB's are not receiving their dues. PCGS has been really tough as of late and I will keep mine raw until I hear any different.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    I can relate.

I had a 1965 MS66FB shot at MS67FB (comparing it to other 1966 and 1967 MSFB dimes I have) and it was graded SMS.

The coin is not SMS, but PCGS disagrees and I will have to try again at some future time.
  • Options

<< <i>I understand your frustration, by why not have David Hall review it first? >>

I think the freebie review offer expired June 1, if I recall correctly. And the idea of myself paying to fix PCGS's goof is repugnant to me.

<< <i>...I had a 1965 MS66FB shot at MS67FB (comparing it to other 1966 and 1967 MSFB dimes I have) and it was graded SMS.

The coin is not SMS, but PCGS disagrees and I will have to try again at some future time. >>

Sumdance... a lot of us have had the same experience (SMS attributed business stikes) with the 1965-67 Roosies. There have been several threads about the problem. Good luck trying at some future time, but you will be fighting a losing battle.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Sumdance... a lot of us have had the same experience (SMS attributed business stikes) with the 1965-67 Roosies. There have been several threads about the problem. Good luck trying at some future time, but you will be fighting a losing battle.

NGC slabbed it MS67. Now I just need to get PCGS to agree.
  • Options
    I must admit I have had the same problem with the SMS curse. I am holding a 67 Roosie now that should grade ms68 W/O bands, but know that as nice as it is, submitted it will get the SMS grade. As for bushmaster, I have bought many of his coins and have faith in his eye for grading. image
    Dan
  • Options
    .......i suppose the bands were too full and they just said" let's get another grading fee on this one " like they do to so many no brainer coins ........................image
  • Options
    Sure enuff... the 93-D that was the topic of this thread is now the first and only 1993-D with the NGC Full Torch designation! Ok, so it's only MS64FT... Guess I'll have to find another that will grade higher.

Still, it's nice to know I can call em correctly, even if the grading "experts" at PCGS can not!

BTW... it is not showing yet in the NGC census.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>Sure enuff... the 93-D that was the topic of this thread is now the first and only 1993-D with the NGC Full Torch designation! Ok, so it's only MS64FT... Guess I'll have to find another that will grade higher.

Still, it's nice to know I can call em correctly, even if the grading "experts" at PCGS can not!

BTW... it is not showing yet in the NGC census. >>

Sounds good. MS-64 really isn't too shabby for clads and most are quite attractive in this grade.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ...I love D. Hall image
  • Options
    bushmaster while you are out there searching, find me a 93-PFB in 66-67. image
    Dan
  • Options
    I just made another one of these low pop beauties!

03674270 1993-D 10C MS66FB pop now: (3/1)

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice score Paul. The 93-D is one tough date to locate in FB let alone a gem 66FB.
  • Options
    Nice find Paul, care to let us know where this jewel was hiding? image
    Dan
  • Options
    Rockin'!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>Nice find Paul, care to let us know where this jewel was hiding? image >>

I went to a show near Chicago, and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of that show. I found this hiding in a notebook of raw Roosie dimes. It cost $0.75. The guy I bought it from had a few gems from mint sets that he would cut out and leave in the mint cello and staple them inside a 2 x 2, so that way they would be double protected. I knew that it was FB as soon as I seen it.

I did however get hammered on this particular submission #3242284. Some I can grade and some I cannot so it seems. I sent in a beautiful 1982-P with FB's that I thought would grade maybe a MS66FB. It came back an AU58. I sent in a sister coin of the same date/MM and that graded MS63FB. These coins look identicle to each other. Is it me or what, I just don't know!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Now that is a shame..
    Seeing as I need to upgrade my 82-P 65FB. You had at least one customer standing by. image
    How about a picture of the 82-P let us do some second hand grading for the fun of it.

By the way I'm about to send in a batch, and the 04-P 68FB crackout will be in there. Along with some business strikes for 05-P and 06-D.
    I may even send in a cent, nickle, quarter, half, Ike and SBS just to see what it takes to grade other coins.
    In all the coins I have submitted, that would be a first for anything other than a Roosie.
    Many times I said I would sub the other denom's, but when it came time to seal the box, I just could not help but put the Roosies in instead.
    I don't expect high grades from the others, because of not knowing what to look for.
    Don't say all coins are graded the same. I think there are diff. areas on diff. denom's that play important rolls in grading.
    Am I wrong here?
    Dan
  • Options
    Dan, IKES are pretty esy to grade...go ahead and try a few of yer best... with your eye, I think you'll be pleased with the results.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul, What I am seeing in the clads is that PCGS is grading about 2 points tighter then a couple years ago.
    Maybe all the previous coins were made in bulk lots and PC underestimated there potential value. Between
    PCGS tightening up on these and previously being very loose that has equated to about 2 points. I'm
    looking at 64's that once were graded 66. It will be an up hill climb making these FB clads from here
    on out. You will see one here and one there getting made, but that's about it. I would bet money that
    at least 40% of all the clad Roosies from 1965 - 1999 if cracked out would come back in a lower grade
    or with out FB.

I know that's a bold statement, But I will stand by it.
  • Options
    Nick:

Those are bold words coming from a Quarter guy! image

I'll take the Pepsi challenge with my Roosies any time you want to send them in for me! image

I hear what your saying, and you know more then I do. Your words of wisdom are always welcome!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!