Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Ever Submit Coins with the Wrong PCGS Coin Number?

I recently submitted some Proof Kennedy's & wrote in the number for clad 1997 when in fact they were Silver.
Coins were graded & assigned a grade, but not designated as Silver!!image

I wonder if I submit Clads with the Silver Coin number if PCGS will designated them as Silver?image

Comments

• Options
    I put the wrong number (by accident) on one submission form. They figured out it was wrong and made the correction before they finished the grading.
  • Options

Don't get me started now!!!image

I will say this tho, that young gentleman that has been patiently trying to help me has been the only redeeming part of the most torturous and ridicules case of screw-ups!

imageimage
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I thought about putting the wrong pcgs coin number for some there on purpose, hopefully fooling them into giving me an error slab. Say like Oreville's 1878-s trade dollar in a Morgan slab (or was it the other way around?).
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking if they didn't check if the coin marked as clad was clad or silver....maybe I could send a few clads & number them as Silver!!
    Of course because that would be an upgrade instead of a downgrade, they would probably catch it! image
    Now I probably have to regrade ( & pay another fee) the coins to get them right. image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking if they didn't check if the coin marked as clad was clad or silver....maybe I could send a few clads & number them as Silver!!
    Of course because that would be an upgrade instead of a downgrade, they would probably catch it! image
    Now I probably have to regrade ( & pay another fee) the coins to get them right. image >>

I often wonder why collectors cannot just enjoy their coins for the pleasure of ownership instead of always looking for ways to cheat. I guess it always comes back to this: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE M O N E Y! It's very seldom about the coin. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    Stevie....lighten up!
    "I often wonder why collectors cannot just enjoy their coins for the pleasure of ownership instead of always looking for ways to cheat. I guess it always comes back to this: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE M O N E Y! It's very seldom about the coin. "

In this case I am wondering about the QC at PCGS, is there someone checking submissions for correct designations on the paperwork? NOT how I can cheat to make more money.

Yes, it's disheartening that I screwed up & placed the CLAD number on the paperwork. It's also disheartening that it was not caught at PCGS, and the value of a clad 1997-S Kennedy is about half of the Silver variety, but they were not PR70DCAM or even 69DCAM...so I can crack them out & still sell/trade them for what the market will pay for nice, raw 1997-S Silver Kennedy's.

And by your comments, I presume you only collect raw coins? In the market for a raw 1997-S Silver Kennedy? image
  • Options
    I probably misunderstood your point so I'll apologize. But I am interested in how PCGS determines the difference between silver and clad when grading. So, I'll write to David on Q & A next Tuesday.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they look at or should look at anyway at the edge of the coin.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they look at or should look at anyway at the edge of the coin.
    That doesn't allway work.
    I have seen clad proofs that looked full silver on the edge.
  • Options
    Let's see what David has to say on Tuesday, if he responds, as I have asked the question on the Q&A board. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I once accidentally sent an Accented Hair marked as 6800 (regular variety). They graded it as the regular. So, I said to myself "Self, I wonder what they'd do if I sent a regular marked as 6801 (Accented Hair)." Yep, they holdered it as an Accented Hair. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Well, I had written to David also last week so let's see what he says tonight. Steveimage
  • Options
    image I once submitted a 1936-S- Cinn. Commem, and listed the wrong number. It came back as a 1936-S- Columbia.
    Errors of this type are to be expected. The graders only have a few seconds to grade each coin, besides grading companies operate the same way that Henry Ford built autos. ( Mass Production )
    It's impossible to grade millions , and millions of coins and spend the same time on them as we do as collectors.
  • Options
    COINDOG, does this mean there is no one, read that non-graders, checking to see if the paperwork is correct?
    I can understand that graders do not have the time to check the paperwork, but I would hope there is someone there making sure things are correct with the paperwork.

Heck, do we all have CLAD coins in SILVER holders? imageimageimage
  • Options
    Let's all hear David's answer when he gets back to the Q & A Forum. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>COINDOG, does this mean there is no one, read that non-graders, checking to see if the paperwork is correct?
    I can understand that graders do not have the time to check the paperwork, but I would hope there is someone there making sure things are correct with the paperwork.

Heck, do we all have CLAD coins in SILVER holders? imageimageimage >>

Ajia,
    This usually happens ( Most error slabs that I have encountered ) When coins are similar, or designations are similar )
    If the mint cannot produce 100 % perfect coins, then the same is true for the grading services, even PCGS !!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Seriously if a grader can't tell the difference between clad and silver whether they grade millions, thousands or hundreds of coins its time to branch out into a different profession. That is all they do all day, its not rocket science. While they may disagree on the numerical grade there is no excuse for missing the metal, regardless how you or they want to spin it.
  • Options

<< <i>Seriously if a grader can't tell the difference between clad and silver whether they grade millions, thousands or hundreds of coins its time to branch out into a different profession. That is all they do all day, its not rocket science. While they may disagree on the numerical grade there is no excuse for missing the metal, regardless how you or they want to spin it. >>

I have several error slabs from PCI, NGC,and PCGS. It's not just one grading service, but several. However, this happens much less often, as opposed to over-grading, or under-grading !!
  • Options
    No answer from Mr. Hall this week. image
  • Options
    Let's be patient. Hopefully David is checking it out with the staff. I'll be checking again next Tuesday evening. Steveimage
  • Options
    Week #2 without an answer! image
  • Options
    Ajia,
    Do you want to ask David again? If so, let me know. Otherwise, I would be happy to ask if he can give us an answer. It probably is best if just one of us does it for next week. Thanks,
    Steveimage
  • Options
    What, if we both ask it offsets each other?? image

I thought your question dealt with......... how PCGS determines the difference between silver and clad when grading.

I am really interested in a bigger picture, does anyone check the PCGS Coin Number & check to see if in fact that is the coin submitted.
    Can be a copper cent, nickel, clad or silver....we all make mistakes, I did......PCGS does. It seems to me that it is very easy to write in the wrong PCGS Number, accidently....or not! What is the QC to make sure the numbers & the coins match up.

I will be asking again next Tuesday.
  • Options
    Well, a month & still no answer.
    Maybe I should give up?

NOT!
  • Options
    Are you out there Steve?
    Still no reply!
    Maybe a touchy subject? image
  • Options
    CoppernicusCoppernicus Posts: 1,764
    I have a raw 1909-P Lincoln that I believe is a proof. I'm not 100% sure, so when I submit it to PCGS, I'll give it the PR number but put a question mark next to it on the form. I trust them to correctly identify it.

Are the PCGS graders perfect? Of course not - but over the years, I've come to trust their judgement, especially when it comes to attribution/authentication.

I hope it's a proof!! image

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    Ajia,
    I wrote David Hall again on this subject last Tuesday. No reply either last week or this week. I guess he feels this is a question he does not want to answer. Steve