Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What are the biggest scams on ebay?

We all of course know that the 1952 Topps Mantle is probably the biggest scam....in your opinions, what are the others?

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Modern cards graded 9.5 by a certain company, selling for thousands of dollars more than their PSA 10 counterparts.

The scam takes the shape of a very effective marketing campaign by that company, aided by its stable of market manipulators (on eBay and in its own tightly-controlled online selling network) and relentless brainwashing about the astronomical value of these 9.5's in a monthly publication.

How's that for a conspiracy theory?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I love a good conspiracy theory! And I think it could have some truths to it at some extent or fully.
    I was thinking along the lines of cards mostly...but I like it JR!
    Considering all the fake 52 Topps Mantles, 51 Bowman Mantles, Jordan rookies, Gretzky rookies, Lemieux rookies, 91 Topps Desert Shield, Ruth and Gehrig Goudey reprints, T206 reprints.......
    there is so much people are getting ripped on. I think mostly because of reasons like 1)uneducated purchases 2)more money than brains and 3)gullibility.
    Let me know when you do that deep investigation and show the world their stripes, JR! I'll be looking for that 60 Minute special!
    So, anything is game...what are the other biggest rips?
  • Options
    WhaleWhale Posts: 73
    The biggest scam is, no matter how big or little the scam, Ebay is always there to collect their fees.
  • Options

<< <i>How's that for a conspiracy theory? >>

Keep in mind...that if there is any shread of proof, no matter how circumstantial that little bit is, it is no longer a theory. It becomes a possibility
  • Options
    patuckett clemens
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Modern cards graded 9.5 by a certain company, selling for thousands of dollars more than their PSA 10 counterparts.

The scam takes the shape of a very effective marketing campaign by that company, aided by its stable of market manipulators (on eBay and in its own tightly-controlled online selling network) and relentless brainwashing about the astronomical value of these 9.5's in a monthly publication.

How's that for a conspiracy theory? >>

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Also, how about the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan card - it is scary to think how many of the ones you see on Ebay (not holdered by PSA or a reputable grading company) are fake? That card is the 1952 Mantle to today's generation of collectors.